Home Improvement

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sante fe is like Benz of whole home dehumidifier, aprilair being the bmw. I think that’s why.
I guess? But its an in-wall unit, thats whole purpose is to be disguised an unnoticeable. Never mind it has quite a few rough reviews, I found, when looking for the price.
I run a small dehumidifier in the garage and dump it every few days. Use it to water plants out front when I do. Similar in the back of the house in our closet. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you do have to dump the water occasionally.

I have one in the shop building finished section that has a drain line that I run with hardware store tubing to a drain. I think the small ones I use that don't have a drain line are like $75, and the one with the drain line option was closer to $150.
There is one place I have rented that has an old timey, leaky basement. The dehumidifier is a stand alone unit that drains into the hole where any basement leaks drain into, and there is a sump pump that pumps it all out into the drain pipes in the ceiling (ground level). I've never looked past that, but Im sure there is some other, "nice" setups with a sump pump, for that situation. But in a large garage, I would want an in-wall unit as well. Not only cause it looks clean, but its out of the way.

Goatface

Menards has 11% rebates all year except for Christmas season.

Pretty nice getting $100 checks in the mail for the next project after you finish the first.
sadly closest menards is 3 hours away. do they still send the rebates printed on postcards? remember a lawsuit after a couple lost their rebates.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i bought so much shit from menards, musta been 2grand in rebates...

only thing i can remeber having is the green buckets, ha.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
sadly closest menards is 3 hours away. do they still send the rebates printed on postcards? remember a lawsuit after a couple lost their rebates.

That's a bummer. Mine is half a mile. I've walked there when the situation necessitated it

Siliconemelons

I guess? But its an in-wall unit, thats whole purpose is to be disguised an unnoticeable. Never mind it has quite a few rough reviews, I found, when looking for the price.

There is one place I have rented that has an old timey, leaky basement. The dehumidifier is a stand alone unit that drains into the hole where any basement leaks drain into, and there is a sump pump that pumps it all out into the drain pipes in the ceiling (ground level). I've never looked past that, but Im sure there is some other, "nice" setups with a sump pump, for that situation. But in a large garage, I would want an in-wall unit as well. Not only cause it looks clean, but its out of the way.

That description made me think of this contractor a friend knew that was part of this house project for some eccentric rich dude that moved to Florida from up north and insisted to have a basement- something that’s not done here because, well we live on a floating land mass and it’s water like 6 ft down lol. But the dude was like “just do it here is money” - it ended up full poured vapor barrier wrapped concrete and a sub pump system - bet Foler knows the rich dude eh lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Tried to take a shower tonight only to have the drain back up. Immediately shut everything off and called a buddy who has a sewer cam and a 75 ft auger. Found a giant fucking tree root in the line, and of course it's smack in the middle of my concrete driveway, auger not powerful enough to clear it.

Sigh. I fucking hate houses.

$7500 to do one of those trenchless sewer line re-sleevings. Anyone have experience with these? They seem like the thing to do these days. Cheaper than digging up the whole damn thing and redoing my driveway, probably. Sigh.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
$7500 to do one of those trenchless sewer line re-sleevings. Anyone have experience with these? They seem like the thing to do these days. Cheaper than digging up the whole damn thing and redoing my driveway, probably. Sigh.
No, but I’m in the same boat. Original cast iron from the 60s that is rusting out. Fortunately we have a non-hard scaled path for access to run new pipe. I can’t remember why we were leaning away from the sleeve.

Goatface

how many feet? cipp?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
how many feet? cipp?

80 ft, passes under my cement front door walk and driveway, one end of it under an oak tree, plus installing a new bi-directional cleanout outside the house. CIPP of some sort, not exactly sure which system. (I've asked and am waiting on a response.)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've heard that trees can actually "hear" water running in pipes and intentionally send their roots over to it to get the water. Just thought you might want to know your oak tree did this to you on purpose because it wanted your shitty water all to itself.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 7 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Getting my garage in top top shape having some shelving and shit from these guys. They did a great job with my garage floor in 2022.

Durable Shelving for Austin Garages

Also buying https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-Lean-to-10-ft-x-4-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-Floor-Included/5014267471 so I can get my lawnmower and shit out of my garage. Need to find a way to level some ground for it though.
Simplest way is to have a concrete base poured for it. Put it on the side or near the back of the house, then put in a sidewalk or stone walkway from back door or patio to it. Generally going to look the nicest that way too.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Me irl trying to decide if i can mow my lawn yet without looking foolish

1710536164497.png

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Me irl trying to decide if i can mow my lawn yet without looking foolish

View attachment 519955
i couldn't even leave my garage, i still had issues w/ garage opener deciding to work when it wants to (the hardwire button works), once i tried everything i opened it up and wow, a capacitor is blown, after that was done w/ i mowed and laid down 8 gallons of fertilizer. my lawn was already over 3in so i was good. makes my neighbor look bad, i woulda given him a mow but like he already sold his house so theres like really no use to being nice

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i couldn't even leave my garage, i still had issues w/ garage opener deciding to work when it wants to (the hardwire button works), once i tried everything i opened it up and wow, a capacitor is blown, after that was done w/ i mowed and laid down 8 gallons of fertilizer. my lawn was already over 3in so i was good. makes my neighbor look bad, i woulda given him a mow but like he already sold his house so theres like really no use to being nice
ok so not only was the cap blown, the solder joints to the connector musta had micro cracks (i barely saw a crack w/ my magnifier), so i just decided to reflow all the connectors and now it works great, all my remotes work, the garage door, even the myq smart remote works

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a shower that needs the handles replaced, but the handle stems are solid instead of having a screw hole in the center, which modern handles seem to expect. The old handles basically clamped onto the stem via screws on the side, but I'm having trouble finding any replacements that attach the same way. Has anyone ever ran into that, and any recommendations if so?