Home Improvement

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I am currently in a new house and the AC had been getting weaker. Last year the AC was working poorly and the guys who installed it came as the house itself was still under warranty. They determined that when the company installed it they didn't fully charge the system. So they corrected that and now its been getting weaker again.

Guy came today and checked it. So in fact there was a leak as well as them not charging the system. Replacing the condenser coil for the outside unit (no parts cost) is still going to be >$2000 because they have to dismantle the thing to get to it.

Am I being had here? That seems awfully fucking expensive.
It does seem like a lot. Hourly rate + expendalble materials cost? Additional quotes don't cost you anything.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Additional quotes don't cost you anything.
More than once, I've encountered people charging for quotes. Some of them will deduct it from the final charge if you pick them.

Perhaps specific to where I live as some contractors have to drive quite a ways.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have used this company before and I liked them because they didn't appear to fuck around with me.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hold old is the unit and how old is the warranty? I'd also look and see if there's been any issues with that model. I had a similar issue with my Civic and when I researched it, even though the warranty expired, they ended up extending the warranty due to the issue, so I'd check on that. If I didn't research I would have assumed the warranty just expired and I would have to pay out of pocket.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I tried shopping around.

Two other places in the area that seemed relatively high quality. They will charge $700 for a "nitrogen leak test" before they agree to do what the first company said was the problem. I asked them if they were joking. That is straight absurd.

I needed the coolant anyway so the company that came yesterday checked the pressures prior then filled the system, then checked pressures again to determine where leaking was happening. I don't know much about HVAC but this process seems straightforward to me and when I used this company previously they never even mentioned this retarded nitrogen test when it came to looking for leaks or issues. At my old house they replaced a fan and did leak checks and stuff as well.

Is everyone just out to fleece you these days because holy fuck? $700 to "verify a leak" before they agree to charge you $2k+ more to fix something is straight robbery bullshit. Are you fucking kidding me?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Is everyone just out to fleece you these days because holy fuck?

I bought a house last year and have been doing some repairs/upgrades. I've had to resign myself to have anything to do with trades costing 50-100% more than I expect. I just got a quote for $11k to replace my main electrical panel and another $5k run a sub-panel to my garage and put in some outlets. And that was the one electrician out of six who even bothered to call me back.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I bought a house last year and have been doing some repairs/upgrades. I've had to resign myself to have anything to do with trades costing 50-100% more than I expect. I just got a quote for $11k to replace my main electrical panel and another $5k run a sub-panel to my garage and put in some outlets. And that was the one electrician out of six who even bothered to call me back.
Jesus. Glad we replaced our a few years(5?) ago and made sure to have extra room for future expansion. IIRC around 2k for a 200amp panel.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Unfortunately this economic situation is unlikely to be fixed without it getting way worse first.

Anyone who knows anything is rare and expensive, and entry level laborers are the price of high end employees 10 years ago.

It used to be my calculus was how much does the professional grade tool cost vs one service call, and you'd typically be looking at 10-20+ RoI so fine whatever pay the local guy. Now its like, I can buy literally an entire tool set, enough materials for 3 attempts, and still save 50% off the cheapest guy.

It's just gotten crazy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It used to be my calculus was how much does the professional grade tool cost vs one service call, and you'd typically be looking at 10-20+ RoI so fine whatever pay the local guy. Now its like, I can buy literally an entire tool set, enough materials for 3 attempts, and still save 50% off the cheapest guy.

I'm doing this math constantly. Painting, trim work, cabling, basic 120v wiring, irrigation systems, cabinetry, etc, aren't worth calling anyone for any more. I started with some tools for my furniture making hobby and am basically backing into general contracting as time goes by. I'm a little hesitant to touch structural framing, electrical that requires serious code compliance, or plumbing, but I'll probably get there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm doing this math constantly. Painting, trim work, cabling, basic 120v wiring, irrigation systems, etc, aren't worth calling anyone for any more. I started with some tools for my furniture making hobby and am basically backing into general contracting as time goes by.

I got quoted 45k to do interior paint on 2500 sq feet when it was empty.

• 3WTF
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some of these prices are outlandish as fuck. I'd forget about being cordial to them and just hang up on them if they told me that, cause I sure as fuck would never call them back in any serious capacity. At least here in my neck of the woods. Though I know some of you guys live in places like Austin and shit, where that crazy shit may seem normal. But even then, it would still be cheaper to find a contractor from a small town and pay for his room and board.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
do you currently have any other battery powered systems or are you also looking for battery powered everything?

i love my ryobi battery powered mower

imo, have double the battery power available or waiting to charge, why? battery powered mowers are "on demand" if your going over a thick patch or you forgot to mow, they will kick it up and of course use more power.

still, it's so much i don't have to worry about, the ease of use

i'm pretty sure i got this one or something close to it (ryobi changes models a lot)
ac249f0599b48ee4d206b45064454d5a.png

my total yardage is 4700sq/ft, it'll take me 1 full battery and 10-15minutes of the 2nd battery.

i have needed to use both batteries to dead a few times in the fall, i don't blow my leaves, i just mow em, and that takes a lot of battery, it drains the batteries depending on how much was shed.

i can give you more info about my experiences, but using an electric over a gas will still translate, i would absolutely always use the battery powered, i've had corded and awd gas, would never go back.

the ego's seem to have more "quality of life" improvements, honestly if i wasn't already tied into ryobi i'd probably get an ego mower and ego outdoor system.

b/c you might not just be buying an eco mower, you'll be buying an ecosystem to work w/ the batteries.

I got a Ryobi mower that’s I think a tier up from the one Lanx linked. At the beginning of spring last year, the first time we brought it out for our first mow, some part in it blew. Ended up needing to get a warranty repair on it and was without it for a couple months. Have to go to folks specifically able to do Ryobi repairs and I shit you not, there was only one place within 100 miles of me that was authorized, or whatever. Thank god, it ended up being some dude 20min away from me working out of his garage. Saw a ton of other Ryobi mowers there, and all were there for the same part that blew on mine. Haven’t had any issues since that part was swapped out, though, but just a word of warning it can happen.

This is my second year with a Ryobi 40v mower. Bought it for $150 off Craigslist, with two batteries. It's been a damn workhorse. I've also added the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and leaf vac/mulcher to the collection since. A few things though. ..
  • The things have what I consider a stupid amount of "safety switching" in them, any little bit goes wrong you can't keep it running, or can't start it. I let my inner redneck loose on it and in 20 minutes had rewired it to just have a simple "on/off" switch on the handle.
  • Don't be afraid to try looking on Amazon for batteries. I was able to get a 6amp off Amazon for half the cost of the name brand and it's been working fine.
  • The three battery charger was a "quality of life" upgrade I'd do over and over...
  • The leaf vac/mulcher is the most recent addition since I have magnolia trees and hate dealing with leaves year round, so far it's been great.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is my second year with a Ryobi 40v mower. Bought it for $150 off Craigslist, with two batteries. It's been a damn workhorse. I've also added the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and leaf vac/mulcher to the collection since. A few things though. ..
  • The things have what I consider a stupid amount of "safety switching" in them, any little bit goes wrong you can't keep it running, or can't start it. I let my inner redneck loose on it and in 20 minutes had rewired it to just have a simple "on/off" switch on the handle.
  • Don't be afraid to try looking on Amazon for batteries. I was able to get a 6amp off Amazon for half the cost of the name brand and it's been working fine.
  • The three battery charger was a "quality of life" upgrade I'd do over and over...
  • The leaf vac/mulcher is the most recent addition since I have magnolia trees and hate dealing with leaves year round, so far it's been great.
sounds like you need the cultivator next

fris

Vyemm Raider
I tried shopping around.

Two other places in the area that seemed relatively high quality. They will charge $700 for a "nitrogen leak test" before they agree to do what the first company said was the problem. I asked them if they were joking. That is straight absurd.

I needed the coolant anyway so the company that came yesterday checked the pressures prior then filled the system, then checked pressures again to determine where leaking was happening. I don't know much about HVAC but this process seems straightforward to me and when I used this company previously they never even mentioned this retarded nitrogen test when it came to looking for leaks or issues. At my old house they replaced a fan and did leak checks and stuff as well.

Is everyone just out to fleece you these days because holy fuck? $700 to "verify a leak" before they agree to charge you $2k+ more to fix something is straight robbery bullshit. Are you fucking kidding me?
You're in Austin right? Check out AC Repair & Plumbing in Round Rock - Cool Kids. I had then come out once to replace my fan motor. He tested everything and said my capacitor wasn't wired correctly and only charged me 80 bucks for coming out.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
We got the leaf sucker, too, and while it does good work, it was not designed for someone of my height, heh. I have to lift my arm so damn much to keep the bag from dragging on the ground. Had to just permanently give that duty to the husband, because it was murdering my back.

So far we got the mower, blower, trimmer, and the leaf mulched. I do really want to get an edger. Seeing those nice clean sidewalks in front of the neighbors’ is making me jelly.