Home Theater/Game Room Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pulled the trigger on the very well regarded Monoprice Monolith 10" sub.

So with that, I'm down to replacing my towers, and then later probably adding rear surrounds. I'm tempted to try and go with bookshelf speakers instead of the towers (especially w/ a competent sub in the mix, and would consider buying a second but figure I'd wait) but also don't want to have to re-mount them if/when we go to a bigger screen (especially if I do it right and run the wire in the wall, etc).

Blah.

Long term, think my goal is the aforementioned https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisens...-hdr-android-tv-black/6485138.p?skuId=6485138 or the Formovie Theater

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
.. should I be considering an amp to pair w/ my SC-LX701?

If you mean an additional amp on the preouts of the pioneer to power a couple of channels e.g. Front left and right, then most likely no. You'd probably benefit more from using the money towards a better avr

If you listen to a lot of music then it could be worth using a decent stereo amp with ht bypass mode - if your pioneer has preouts, I cba to check

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

So with that, I'm down to replacing my towers, and then later probably adding rear surrounds. I'm tempted to try and go with bookshelf speakers instead of the towers (especially w/ a competent sub in the mix, and would consider buying a second but figure I'd wait) but also don't want to have to re-mount them if/when we go to a bigger screen (especially if I do it right and run the wire in the wall, etc).

Blah.

Long term, think my goal is the aforementioned https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisens...-hdr-android-tv-black/6485138.p?skuId=6485138 or the Formovie Theater
Let me know how you like the sub. I have the previous generation Klipsch set up. RP-260 etc etc. Really happy with the speakers but need a new sub.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Blah.

I forgot to say in my previous post, you'd get more benefit from a better avr with more channels than adding a separate amp to power existing channels e.g. Going from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
It's already a 9.2 ch AVR, I'd only really need to upgrade if I wanted to go 7.2 4, right? As it is I'm about to go 5.2.4, or am I about to hit a wall I didn't realize...

Otherwise, what would be a good sign I need to upgrade, figured if anything this would be the piece I didn't need to bother with, at least for now.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's already a 9.2 ch AVR, I'd only really need to upgrade if I wanted to go 7.2 4, right? As it is I'm about to go 5.2.4, or am I about to hit a wall I didn't realize...

Otherwise, what would be a good sign I need to upgrade, figured if anything this would be the piece I didn't need to bother with, at least for now.

Honestly, the two extra height channels are probably more valuable to me than the two extra floor channels. Adding two extra heights finally made Atmos come alive (along with more atmos content available via streaming).

I just googled the amp so yeah, it's good for a while yet. What speakers are you using because I lost track of what you had, what you purchased etc.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
5.1.4:

L/R: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (intend to replace, hoping for something like the Klipsch 8000F)
C: Klipsch 504C
Surround: Klipsch RP-250S
Heights: Klipsch R-41SA (to be mounted at ceiling ~above towers in front, and above surrounds on side
Sub: Monlith M-10

Started from 5.1.2:

Tower Speakers: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (have some Atmos add-ons sitting on top of them)
Rear surrounds: Energy Take 5 Pack 5 CH Home Theater Speaker System - Newegg.com
Sub - Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer Single - Newegg.com

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
L/R: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (intend to replace, hoping for something like the Klipsch 8000F)
C: Klipsch 504C
Surround: Klipsch RP-250S
Heights: Klipsch R-41SA (to be mounted at ceiling ~above towers in front, and above surrounds on side
Sub: Monlith M-10

Started from:

Tower Speakers: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (have some Atmos add-ons sitting on top of them)
Rear surrounds: Energy Take 5 Pack 5 CH Home Theater Speaker System - Newegg.com
Sub - Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer Single - Newegg.com

ok yeah 100% replace the front L/R asap.

Attachments

• 1669504059742.png
    1669504059742.png
    93 KB · Views: 26
  • 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
The new sub is a beast, and looks like my new towers will likely be the JBL 590. Monsters. Should be fun.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
The new sub is a beast, and looks like my new towers will likely be the JBL 590. Monsters. Should be fun.
For that kind of money you should also consider Polk R700. They are about the same price as the JBL and really highly regarded.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I am considering my moving up from my Sony STRAZ 1100ES to an Emotiva BasX MC1 processor and Emotiva BasX A5- 5 channel amplifier or a 7 Channel Outlaw amp.

I'm just not sure if this is enough of an upgrade or if I would be happier with a better receiver with more power.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
For that kind of money you should also consider Polk R700. They are about the same price as the JBL and really highly regarded.

I got a pair for $600 off FB. Think I did pretty good.

Next up, new TV.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally set up some stuff that I have had on the backburner for the better part of a year. Anthem Atmos processor, atmos speakers, new 4k HDR laser projector, new 4k UHD media player, new 16x9 aspect ratio screen for all the movies filmed partially in Imax. There is a cool scene in the last Mission Impossible movie where they HALO dive out of a plane that never worked right on my old 'scope screen and now it looks great. I also found a cool old brass stanchion at a swap meet recently but they only had one so now I'm on the lookout for one more to match up with it:

anthem.jpg

screen upgrade 1.jpg

screen upgrade 2.jpg

screen upgrade 3.jpg

screen upgrade 4.jpg

stanchion.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
May be interested in upgrading my bookshelf speakers. Currently using a pair of KEF Q150 (Q150 Bookshelf Speaker) that I really do enjoy, but am wondering if stepping up to the $1,000 range will buy me any benefit.

They are actually used on/in a bookshelf because my office wall is somewhat limited on space to put them on stands. It may be possible to move them with some slight pushing, if that's worth a shot to improve quality.

They're being driven by a Denon PMA-600NE (PMA-600NE - 2 Ch. 70W Integrated Amplifier | Denon - US) so it will only ever be 2-channel. I don't have a TV or anything else in the office that would necessitate anything larger, but am open to alternate configurations.

SVS PB-1000 (PB-1000) sub in the corner of the office. I'm happy with the bass so am not really considering updating it or buying a 2nd. Plus with kids in the house and wife I rarely get the chance to crank it.

The Denon mostly gets input from exclusively from my Audio Technica turntable. The stylus is upgraded but at the moment can't remember exactly what I put in. Maybe 5% of the time I actually Bluetooth it to my work laptop and stream something if I don't have the vinyl of it.

Anyways, people much smarter than me could help. I'm leaning towards doing the speaker stands first (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31263). Maybe a pair that can be used with the existing KEFs or something else I'd replace them with.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
May be interested in upgrading my bookshelf speakers. Currently using a pair of KEF Q150 (Q150 Bookshelf Speaker) that I really do enjoy, but am wondering if stepping up to the $1,000 range will buy me any benefit.

They are actually used on/in a bookshelf because my office wall is somewhat limited on space to put them on stands. It may be possible to move them with some slight pushing, if that's worth a shot to improve quality.

They're being driven by a Denon PMA-600NE (PMA-600NE - 2 Ch. 70W Integrated Amplifier | Denon - US) so it will only ever be 2-channel. I don't have a TV or anything else in the office that would necessitate anything larger, but am open to alternate configurations.

SVS PB-1000 (PB-1000) sub in the corner of the office. I'm happy with the bass so am not really considering updating it or buying a 2nd. Plus with kids in the house and wife I rarely get the chance to crank it.

The Denon mostly gets input from exclusively from my Audio Technica turntable. The stylus is upgraded but at the moment can't remember exactly what I put in. Maybe 5% of the time I actually Bluetooth it to my work laptop and stream something if I don't have the vinyl of it.

Anyways, people much smarter than me could help. I'm leaning towards doing the speaker stands first (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31263). Maybe a pair that can be used with the existing KEFs or something else I'd replace them with.

I upgraded last year from kef q3 to monitor audio silver 500. Got them new for £900 off eBay vs rrp of £1700 and this year £2499 after inflation lol

Yes, I heard a difference. They were running on a denon 3200 avr - so an older low-midrange AVR compared to higher end speakers. I then went out and bought a denon 6500 avr (3 models newer and more power per channel) then dedicated stereo amp (Lyngdorf 1120) to power the front speakers so that I had a more "musical" amp than a home cinema AVR

I perceive more audible details in the music, wider soundstage. The floorstanders also go fairly low to the extent my sub isn't necessary for music

If you're audiophile inclined then you should hear an improvement from better speakers. My system is a home cinema 7.1.4 setup but everytime I've upgraded I've enjoyed the first few evenings with new gear listening to music instead of movies and enjoying the audible improvements

Have a look at prices on kef r range - maybe something like Kef R3 if you want to stay with bookshelf speakers

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I upgraded last year from kef q3 to monitor audio silver 500. Got them new for £900 off eBay vs rrp of £1700 and this year £2499 after inflation lol

Yes, I heard a difference. They were running on a denon 3200 avr - so an older low-midrange AVR compared to higher end speakers. I then went out and bought a denon 6500 avr (3 models newer and more power per channel) then dedicated stereo amp (Lyngdorf 1120) to power the front speakers so that I had a more "musical" amp than a home cinema AVR

I perceive more audible details in the music, wider soundstage. The floorstanders also go fairly low to the extent my sub isn't necessary for music

If you're audiophile inclined then you should hear an improvement from better speakers. My system is a home cinema 7.1.4 setup but everytime I've upgraded I've enjoyed the first few evenings with new gear listening to music instead of movies and enjoying the audible improvements

Have a look at prices on kef r range - maybe something like Kef R3 if you want to stay with bookshelf speakers

I may start by upgrading my Audio Technica to a Technics SL-1500 and go from there. I would step up to the 1210GR but the 1500 seems more cost effective. Then with my way to the speakers slowly. Already have a Schiit Mani 2. Probably wait til next month as there’s already a few things budgeted for October on the horizon.

The KEF LS50 looked nice for the price point also even though the R3 also did, albeit a bit higher in price.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I may start by upgrading my Audio Technica to a Technics SL-1500 and go from there. I would step up to the 1210GR but the 1500 seems more cost effective. Then with my way to the speakers slowly. Already have a Schiit Mani 2. Probably wait til next month as there’s already a few things budgeted for October on the horizon.

The KEF LS50 looked nice for the price point also even though the R3 also did, albeit a bit higher in price.

I actually bought a turntable last year after buying all the aforementioned upgrades. Not really a big vinyl/turntable guy so can't say how much bang for your buck you'd her with a better turntable.

I'd probably still go for new speakers first

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So I’ve been frustrated for a long time by how whenever I watch a film, often times the music is significantly louder than the dialogue.

Would hooking up a sound/speaker system help alleviate this? In other words is the problem caused by the limitations of simple television speakers vs the dynamic sound mix of modern media?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I’ve been frustrated for a long time by how whenever I watch a film, often times the music is significantly louder than the dialogue.

Would hooking up a sound/speaker system help alleviate this? In other words is the problem caused by the limitations of simple television speakers vs the dynamic sound mix of modern media?

Probably but, I installed a 5.1 system on the big TV and it does not at all fix the sound mixing and balancing problems. Content which is good is enhanced by positional audio, and content which isn't just can be made louder.

I am really unhappy with the LGs in this respect. What you really need is a compressor function for most of these movies, and so far I haven't found a nice solution with the default TV experience. I'm sure one could exist, but none of the "auto level" bullshit with LG seems to work well at least.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users