Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
new AVR and you're good. hook the TV up to it via the HDMI ARC channel and you should be golden.
you'll want a newer AVR than that one anyway for QOL stuff like wifi, Bluetooth and app integration.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
new AVR and you're good. hook the TV up to it via the HDMI ARC channel and you should be golden.
you'll want a newer AVR than that one anyway for QOL stuff like wifi, Bluetooth and app integration.
Cool, any recommendations? Hoping to get one in the <$300 price range, but as low as possible to do what I want to feed what seems like low power speakers. I don't mind paying, just don't want to ignorantly pay for something built for a 2k watt system and use it for a 400watt system. Or something. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Cool, any recommendations? Hoping to get one in the <$300 price range, but as low as possible to do what I want to feed what seems like low power speakers. I don't mind paying, just don't want to ignorantly pay for something built for a 2k watt system and use it for a 400watt system. Or something. I don't know what I'm talking about.
that's a tough call, depending on your use case and plans for integrating pc/console gaming, desired resolutions, etc.

I've been out of the large-footprint home theater game for a long time, and move onto soundbars and satellites, not requiring the receiver to do any pass through image processing from consoles etc (plugging all directly into the TV instead). this is what the HDMI ARC channel does, passing through the audio signals from your TV, which essentially becomes your media hub.

here are a couple of decent articles that may point you in the right direction. the first one is more expensive than you're looking for, but maybe something in the 2nd fits the bill.

I'm sure there are more savvy folks on the forum that can probably steer you better than I can

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you audiophile crazies see this doc?

the update will make you cry

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone done much in the way of troubleshooting weird/intermittent problems with a receiver?

Twice in the past week I've come home and turned my system on only to run into something like this:

1. Turn on Series X. CEC kicks in and turns on the receiver and the TV, which switches to the correct input.
2. Screen goes black, then changes to the "no signal" blue.
2a. Receiver's on-screen menus work fine so I'm pretty sure it's not the output, cable, or TV. Turning TV and receiver off and on doesn't help.
3. Turn on Shield TV. Again, CEC works properly and changes the input, but the TV stays blue.
4. Turn on PS5. Fail #3.
5. Turn on Switch. CEC works yet again, and this time I get the Switch display.
6. Swap PS5 and XSX cables at the console end. XSX still doesn't work, but now the PS5 does.
7. Swap PS5 and XSX cables again at the receiver end. Now everything works (including the Shield TV that I never touched).

My only thought is some sort of HDCP handshake problem, since I'm pretty sure the XSX and PS5 use HDCP always, Shield TV I'm not sure about (obviously on for Netflix and such, but I don't know about when you're just sitting at the Android launcher), and the Switch does not use it at all. First time was less hassle, it fixed itself after turning TV and receiver off and on a couple times, so I fear whatever it is is getting worse. Probably waiting to do a catastrophic fail on Elden Ring release day with my luck. Short of just buying a new receiver I have no idea what to do to try and solve it.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
From a pure hardware standpoint, what would you recommend upgrading in this setup?

Tower Speakers: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (have some Atmos add-ons sitting on top of them)
Rear surrounds: Energy Take 5 Pack 5 CH Home Theater Speaker System - Newegg.com
Sub - Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer Single - Newegg.com
A/V: SC-LX701 | AV Receivers | Products | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

I see stuff like this on sale and wonder if I'd be better off upgrading the whole thing - https://www.costco.com/.product.7999044.html

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
From a pure hardware standpoint, what would you recommend upgrading in this setup?

Tower Speakers: Sony SS-F7000 4-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (pair) (have some Atmos add-ons sitting on top of them)
Rear surrounds: Energy Take 5 Pack 5 CH Home Theater Speaker System - Newegg.com

I see stuff like this on sale and wonder if I'd be better off upgrading the whole thing - https://www.costco.com/.product.7999044.html

The klipsch set looks almost infinitely better than every individual component you listed, Sony speakers really?

Depends what your budget is and what you want to focus on - movies or music and room you're working with

Every time I've upgraded my components or had the audio calibrated has increased my enjoyment of music significantly

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the Sony towers I got from a friend as he replaced them with wild electrostatic monstrosities that shake his entire house (and probably the neighbor's houses). The other speakers I got from Newegg in 2010, lol.

General usage mostly but mostly movies/TV/sports (edit: oh, and game consoles), have some BHAGs to replace the 65" LG C1 with a larger display or a UST at some point, but baby steps. Living room needs a lot of work, but not remodeling or anything. Everything's old aside from the TV, been wanting to upgrade a little, get better seating, create a space that more than just the kids want to enjoy.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, the Sony towers I got from a friend as he replaced them with wild electrostatic monstrosities that shake his entire house (and probably the neighbor's houses). The other speakers I got from Newegg in 2010, lol.

General usage mostly but mostly movies/TV/sports, have some BHAGs to replace the 65" LG C1 with a larger display or a UST at some point, but baby steps. Living room needs a lot of work, but not remodeling or anything. Everything's old aside from the TV, been wanting to upgrade a little, get better seating, create a space that more than just the kids want to enjoy.

Ok I misunderstood, I thought you were thinking of buying the Sony and every other individual item

Your amp is fine, it's the speaker's that are the priority upgrade. Honestly though the most notable differences in quality are when listening to music and hearing details in songs that weren't there previously, or better separation of instruments etc

For movies, most of the sound is from the centre speaker for dialogue.

For a decent all round upgrade then without looking at reviews I'd say the klipsch set should be decent.

Depending on height of ceiling you could look at actual atmos speakers instead of the upward firing ones. I personally appreciated.atmos more after going from two to four ceiling speakers

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

My vote is for sub. Go with something from SVS or HSU.

Didn’t realize these had dropped so much after buying mine a few years back:

Even a Monolith 12” isn’t priced bad.

SVS had a step up program and some deals for buying in pairs at one point.

Honestly I have no idea what your budget is but I think most people highly undervalue the sub in a set up and only think they need it to go BOOM. Which is fun but a good sub adds a whole lot more.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My vote is for sub. Go with something from SVS or HSU.

Didn’t realize these had dropped so much after buying mine a few years back:

Even a Monolith 12” isn’t priced bad.

SVS had a step up program and some deals for buying in pairs at one point.

Honestly I have no idea what your budget is but I think most people highly undervalue the sub in a set up and only think they need it to go BOOM. Which is fun but a good sub adds a whole lot more.

Nah disagree with this, and this is after upgrading from an old second hand KEF SW to an Arendal 1723 2 1000w sub.

His current sub/avr are the only components anywhere near enthusiast/audiophile quality, the rest is budget level.

Maybe I'm just not a bass/low frequency enthusiast, but I get far more enjoyment and appreciate the upgrade far more having gone from old Kef Q3 L/R speakers to Monitor Audio Silver 500s.

Sub-woofer purchase also depends on his living situation - I live in a ground floor apartment, so the sub volume is lower during the week, then when upstairs leaves for weekend I turn it back up.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Standard 2 story house, this is a project for the fall probably, but something I'll revisit here when I pull the trigger.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

those will definitely be a significant upgrade.

Retailing at around £2000 here, so looks a good deal

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Wish there were some better BF deals on this stuff. May end up getting a open box of this for $250 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsc...wered-subwoofer-black/6501481.p?skuId=6501481 though a R-21SW was just posted locally for $100. (now sold, darn)

Still kinda want the RP-8000F, almost had a pair off FB for $500.

My new surrounds I got for $300 off of FB Marketplace - RP-250S Surround Speaker | Klipsch

Kinda inclined to mount height speakers at the ceiling rather than install in-ceiling overheads, at least for now, something like https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsc...l-speakers-pair-black/6501477.p?skuId=6501477 (edit: went ahead and order 2 pair, will arrive in a week)

Think my biggest concerns about this is the room setup, currently mounting the new bipole surrounds even w/ the seated position, a touch higher than ear level, and intend to mount heights above that at the ceiling... so there's nothing behind the viewer. Figure I probably am going to end up needing rear surrounds, but am somewhat committed to this path in the short term as ATMOS isn't going to really cover no sound coming from behind.

Given these components though - RP-504c, RP-8000f x2, RP-250s x2 and tentatively R-40sa x4, and say R-21SW... should I be considering an amp to pair w/ my SC-LX701? Wondering about a second sub as well, but probably shouldn't bother - this whole project smacks a bit of adhd hyperfocus / gotta have it impulsiveness and need to reign it in a bit somewhere. As it is I find it hard to compromise w/ the towers and get something lesser.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think my system is pretty good aside from my puny 8" subwoofer. The room is pretty big, 25' x 25'. Would a 12" sub be okay in that situation? My speakers are all Polk so far. Any reason not to stick with them? If I leave the little sub connected, will it add anything?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think my system is pretty good aside from my puny 8" subwoofer. The room is pretty big, 25' x 25'. Would a 12" sub be okay in that situation? My speakers are all Polk so far. Any reason not to stick with them? If I leave the little sub connected, will it add anything?
A sub can be be heavily dependent on placement. It's been a while since I looked over at the two main audio forums, but I vaguely remember reading something about two subs in the rear corners are now a favored placement. So it may be better to have a second 8, over a single 12. I'm not sure if you need anything special to split the signal.

I don't think it matters if the sub brand matches your other speakers, if you keep it a single sub system. The main speakers that you want to be the same brand with the same drivers is the center and front L/R. If you were going to use two 8s instead, you probably want a second sub with the same driver, but I'm not 100% sure how much difference that will make. It all has to do with how the sound waves hit your ears at different times. A good receiver with a mic, to auto set up delays, might be able to offset any driver difference.

If you want the best bang for your buck, you can build your own sub. Parts Express has a bunch of speaker builds, but kinda difficult to figure out what's good: Forum - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Edit: Checked in over at AVS forum and it looks like all speaker placement depends on the room, duel front subs, duel side subs, duel back subs are all represented on AVS forums. Hell, could go with 4 subs and have all the bass. There is a "Home Entertainment & Theater Builder" section down the page that has a bunch of various layouts that might interest you: https://www.avsforum.com/forums/

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users