Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the same year model, but an i5 processor. I only have an OS (Win10) on the drive. I stream all media from my NAS.

I dropped an old SSD I had lying around inside of it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What drive are you using? Are you just streaming through it or storing your files on it?
I'm using one of those small mSATA drives or whatever they're called. Just big enough to hold Kodi and whatever it needs to work + plugins I mess around with. And had a torrent application set up on there but never finished messing with it. Everything is streamed, wired, off the NAS.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just had my 55" LG EF9500 OLED and my Denon 3200 avr professionally calibrated.

Massive difference in the sound quality - each channel is much clearer, crisper and sharper. The sound now "travels" in a way which is much more pleasing on the ears. Even MP3 in stereo sounds incredible.

I highly recommend getting it done if there is a good calibrator in your area.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just had my 55" LG EF9500 OLED and my Denon 3200 avr professionally calibrated.

Massive difference in the sound quality - each channel is much clearer, crisper and sharper. The sound now "travels" in a way which is much more pleasing on the ears. Even MP3 in stereo sounds incredible.

I highly recommend getting it done if there is a good calibrator in your area.
Just curious if this was a calibration from out of the box or if you ever messed with the built-in Audissey calibration? Audissey gets pretty good reviews. How much did the pro calibration cost you?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick question for Kodi users: Does anyone have a plug-in for streaming TV? I have zero clue how to set this up, but I would love if I could find a stream service for news, sports, and discovery channel type stuff.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just curious if this was a calibration from out of the box or if you ever messed with the built-in Audissey calibration? Audissey gets pretty good reviews. How much did the pro calibration cost you?
I had done the Audyssey, honestly it's like a completely new sound system. The way he explained it is that Audyssey doesn't take into account room characteristics,at least I think that's what he said. He measured the distance to each speaker using some kind of red dot device, tweaked some of the crossover settings but also went into the graphic eq until he got the desired readings.

The TV/audio cost ?500 and it took him about 5 hours work. Just watched the latest Better Call Saul in 4k and it looked terrific, skin tones much more natural and colours vibrant without being overly viviv. A1080p episode of Suits on netflix looked just as good.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm using one of those small mSATA drives or whatever they're called. Just big enough to hold Kodi and whatever it needs to work + plugins I mess around with. And had a torrent application set up on there but never finished messing with it. Everything is streamed, wired, off the NAS.
That sounds pretty good. I'm set up to stream from my PC to my PS4 now using Plex so I am not sure there would be any benefit to getting one of these for me?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What software are people running on HTPCs these days? My old media center PC goes months at a time without being turned on.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What software are people running on HTPCs these days? My old media center PC goes months at a time without being turned on.
XBMC, they changed their name to Kodi a while back. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it. I have a plugin called "The Cinema Experience" that lets me run trailers, ratings slides, Dolby or DTS intros, all of that kind of thing before a movie starts, so if we have a crowd of folks new to the theater room you can set that option and give them the works.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone looked at / have any thoughts on the ATMOS soundbars? I know, those 2 words should not go together, but damn.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you made me watch trailers at your house i would fuck you up
it isnt a movie trailer although it could be if you wanted them. i have a dolby atmos trailer and the old go to the lobby and get a treat trailer.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have finished my home theater with the exception of the Sound Processor, 4K Projector, and the black diamond zero edge screen which will come soon.

Sub:SVSound PB13 Ultra
Surrounds:4 Bowers and Wilkins DS3B(2 back, 2 side)
Fronts:Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2
Center:Bowers and Wilkins HTM61

Receiver:Denon AVRX4200

I have a PS3 Fat, PS4, XBox One, Steamlink, and HTPC all attached as well.

Pictures coming soon.
smile.png

Oh, and I originally wasn't going to go with B&W as it seemed at first like generic retail junk.. but damn, I went to a demo of them and I know they make the demo rooms perfect, but they sounded quite good. The fronts are just really really sharp. Not the best I've ever heard, but for the price it was fantastic and to get better sound the price would almost double.

Also, the PB13 Ultra is a monster sub. I do not regret that purchase at all.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have finished my home theater with the exception of the Sound Processor, 4K Projector, and the black diamond zero edge screen which will come soon.

Sub:SVSound PB13 Ultra
Surrounds:4 Bowers and Wilkins DS3B(2 back, 2 side)
Fronts:Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2
Center:Bowers and Wilkins HTM61

Receiver:Denon AVRX4200

I have a PS3 Fat, PS4, XBox One, Steamlink, and HTPC all attached as well.

Pictures coming soon.
smile.png

Oh, and I originally wasn't going to go with B&W as it seemed at first like generic retail junk.. but damn, I went to a demo of them and I know they make the demo rooms perfect, but they sounded quite good. The fronts are just really really sharp. Not the best I've ever heard, but for the price it was fantastic and to get better sound the price would almost double.

Also, the PB13 Ultra is a monster sub. I do not regret that purchase at all.
I have the Denon 3200, like I said above, find a local ISF and HAA certified calibrator and get that system calibrated. Video will make sure the colours look exactly how they're meant to look and brought out more detail on my OLED. Audio is like receiving a free upgrade - the jump in quality and precision was insane.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Surely someone who is spending $10,000+ on a home theater setup will have it professionally installed & calibrated...