Home Theater/Game Room Thread

jeydax

Death and Taxes
They played 4K native content. Not all of your content is going to be 4K. If you watch a 1080p broadcast or BluRay or etc it won't look quite as good than native 4K content.

Siliconemelons

Just like when Blu-ray players and HD TVs just came out there is a big discrepancy in quality of products... and for the same reason- content source.

Cheap HDTV playing an actual bluray vs the same on a more high end TV usually looks the same... now put in a DVD and see how it handles upscale and you will see why the PS3 was one of (still is) the best Blu-ray players you could buy - usually the device handled the upscale.

On 4k I think much of the upscale is now being processed by the TV itself, cheap 4k's don't really have as good of exp with HD->4k upscale as the more pricy models... from my reading LG 4ks in their WebOS line have some of the best 1k->4k upscale tech

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Please explain. I looked at a 4K the other day, and the salesperson said to not fall for it, that it wouldn't look that good at home. How is it groomed?
The grooming part is editing to take perfect lighting with huge detailed scenes of European cities (at least the ones I've seen) and that giant statue of Jesus and some South American waterfall. That's not really the same thing as a movie which is more action oriented, you don't really watch fixed-cam panoramas of super busy landscapes on TV.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wife wanted to play DDR again, had to order a 25ft TOSLINK cable, but for .50 more i could get 50ft, so why not! (i needed the TOSLINK to connect the old PS2, which has all the DDR games to my speakers cuz my living room is a projector, speakers are a soundbar temp solution atm)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got a new addition to the theater entrance, built it over the weekend:

rrr_img_114171.jpg

rrr_img_114172.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That's awesome. And fucking huge, particularly since those last two pictures sort of create an optical illusion that the door is much shorter than it really is.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm 6'4" and it is taller than me. Probably not David Prowse sized but still tall. I'm going to measure it tonight and find out exact height. I just got it together last night, I know the first time I forget it is there, go downstairs in the dark and then flip on the lights I'm either going to have a heart attack or shit my pants...or both.

edit - it is 6'8" and then sitting on the platform which is 2" tall.

Cinge that is a great idea.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's awesome. That's the kind of thing you set on the front porch for Halloween, but its really you standing perfectly still, wait for people to come real close touching you then jump/scream at them :p

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Looking to finishing putting together my HT, here what I have so far.

Polk Audio RTi12 Tower Speaker in Black (pair) - $460
http://slickdeals.net/f/8262129-polk...c=SiteSearchV2

Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer Single - $199
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12 Powered Subwoofer Single - Newegg.com

Looking to complete the set when the following items once I find a good deal.

Yamaha RX-V777BT 7.2-Channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver
Yamaha RX-V777BT 7.2 CH Home Theater AV Receiver with Bluetooth - Newegg.com

Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier
Amazon.com: Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier: Electronics

Polk Audio FXI A6 Surround Speakers (Pair, Black)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio FXI A6 Surround Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

Polk Audio CSI A6 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black)
Amazon.com: Polk Audio CSI A6 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black): Electronics

What do you guys think? Don't really know much about AVR's, could use some suggestions if the one I selected isn't very good. Going to use amp to power the front LR speakers and use the receiver for center and surrounds.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Going to spend 800 on an amp and 450 on your AVR? That seems weird.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Audyssey Audyssey Audyssey. I'm the Herald, the High Priest, Fanboy #1 of Audyssey. Especially for us random noobs and budget oriented people that aren't going to spend a bunch of time and money treating the walls for sound reflections and whatnot. I have set up my denon avrs, one with audyssey multeq and one with audyssey multeqXT, in various rooms, with various speaker configurations, in rooms with bare floors, in rooms with shag carpet, with shitty subwoofers and decent subwoofers, and it has never failed to make the system sound significantly, noticeably better.

Nothing I've run across has ever made me believe that YPAO is anything but a pale imitation of Audyssey.

AUDYSSEY!!1111

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The Auddessy stuff is great I just no longer trust Denon after the troubles I had with my AVR. I have a Yamaha now and they have something similar. It's hard for me to say which is better since I have completely changed my system since then. I have had no reliability problems with the Yamaha though.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
I'm not buying everything right now or paying full retail, I will be waiting for deals. I didn't think the AVR really matter much if I was powering the main speakers with an amp? What suggestions do you have?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Denon AVR-X5200W 9.2 Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Dolby Atmos
Denon AVR-X5200W 9 Ch A - Newegg.com

If I got something like this could I avoid getting an amp altogether?
slowstand I'm not the most educated when it comes to AVR stuff but I just purchased the following setup:

Denon AVR-X3200W
ELAC B6(4 total... two front two surrounds)
ELAC C5
ELAC S10 Subwoofer

I'm very impressed by the ELAC debut series speakers. The sound quality you get out of them is amazing. I'd really look at getting a pair of their floors over the Polks you linked.

The Denon was easy as hell to set up and I've not had a single issue with it.