Home Theater In a Box ?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am looking for a decent home theater in a box to replace my 10 year old system. I have a Panasonic Viera tv. I was looking at their top of the line system but it seems like it is pretty cheap? If you can make a suggestion for a good home theater in a box or a quality good priced speaker and head unit I would appreciate it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd start by looking at Denon products. I've owned surround sound receivers by Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha over the years, and I've never liked one as much as I like my current Denon. The ease of setup and calibrating is amazing, and the features for the price are great.

I honestly don't know much about the quality of Denon speakers(I use Klipsch speakers with my Denon receiver) if you buy an all-in-1 surround package, but if its anywhere near the quality of their receivers they should be great.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I bought a theater in a box when I first moved into the new house. It actually had two different brands in it. The receiver was a nice Denon and the speakers were Boston Acoustic. The whole system sounds great and didn't rape my wallet.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I bought a 7.1 onkyo system 2 years ago and have been pretty impressed with it since then.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Where did you get it Wolfen? I have read good things about Denon and Onkyo.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The HDMI board on my Onkyo Receiver conked out after like 2 years. First it was just one bad input, then two, until finally I just had one good one that I had to crawl behind the tv and swap cables to switch inputs. Just replaced it with a Yamaha that I got half off on an Amazon Black Friday deal. I like it but for some reason I can't program it to turn on and off with my DirecTV remote which is kind of a bummer. It can control the volume but not the on/off.

You should consider buying your speakers separately. I went with Polk Audio, but the people who make great receivers aren't necessarily known for making great speakers and vice versa. Read reviews on both.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Speaking of Polk Audio Newegg has the Monitor 70 floor standing speakers on sale for $99 each. Almost bought a pair yesterday to put in the office.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Www.avsforums.com

HTIB = waste of money.

If your budget is under $500 or so, don't even waste your money. Find a $100 sound bar and call it good, you won't see a massive improvement with any HTIB.

With $500 you can put together a nice sounding 2 channel system and expand it down the road. 1-2k will get you something that will blow any non audiophile away.

Budget rule of thumb, 25% on receiver and 75% on speakers. Receiver tech is always changing. A good set of speakers will last 30 years.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Its all in your ears and what your expectations are. A good sound bar is less and sounds better than most boxed home theaters. Its not surround sound though. I'd go that route and buy your home theater system piece by piece over a year and pick up the receiver last.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking 500-800 but I'm flexible. Can someone recommend a good speaker set up then? I will probably grab a Denon head unit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Those Polk speakers mentioned from Newegg are the shit for the money (when they're on sale). I bought four of them, because for the price they weren't much more than good rear speakers. Now I just need a place to put the two rears.... Also picked up the center when it was on sale separately.

As far as receivers, I've owned nothing but Yamaha since I was in high school (80's) and they all still work same as new. The one I bought in high school endured dozens of trips to and from college (not to mention college life itself), multiple moves after graduation, and now the abuse of sitting in a friend's garage soaking up dust and kid's fingerprints. It is scratched to hell and back, but still works like new. I know they've had some ups and downs over the years, and there is absolutely nothing bad I can say about Onkyo and Denon, but Yamaha has me for life. Well, receiver-wise. Speakers, not so much.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of Polk Audio Newegg has the Monitor 70 floor standing speakers on sale for $99 each. Almost bought a pair yesterday to put in the office.
I have the Monitor 50s that are very similar to those. What I did was to buy the little kit with the sub, center channel, and 4 satellites and set it up as a 5.1 system and then down the road got the floor standing speakers and used the two extra satellites as my 7.1 speakers. I'm very happy with the setup but I wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
I hear those guys selling speakers at the gas station have some righteous shit for pennies on the dollar.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I really like Yamaha as well, have had a number of their receivers over the years and keep going back. Very good in terms of bang for the buck.

If I were doing a build for under a grand tomorrow I would find a Denon\Yamaha\Onkyo receiver at the 299.99 price point and spend the rest on whichever of these I could afford. At least 3.1 would be a very good start, and add the rears in the next few months. The difference in 5.1 and 7.1 is negligible with good equipment.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have the Monitor 50s that are very similar to those. What I did was to buy the little kit with the sub, center channel, and 4 satellites and set it up as a 5.1 system and then down the road got the floor standing speakers and used the two extra satellites as my 7.1 speakers. I'm very happy with the setup but I wouldn't call myself an audiophile.
I guess I am kind of an audiphile at the home but at the office I was just looking for some speakers. At the house I am old school, tube amps and reel to rell 95% of the time. People who have never heard a good 1/4" reel to reel would be suprised at the quality.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I'm very happy with a denon receiver/mirage nanosat setup.

www.accessories4less.comfor the denon. Although you can find really good deals occasionally at other places too, likehttp://www.electronics-expo.comorwww.vanns.com. Just be patient and keep an eye out. Getting a good price on electronics is definitely a waiting game. I got one of my denons for a great price from Crutchfield of all places.

A4L is an official refurb dealer, but they're better than other refurb places like Dakmart because they negotiated a full denon factory warranty on their refurbs. The magic is in the Audyssey room correction tech. It's awesome and makes any speaker setup sound like a million bucks. Make sure the receiver you buy has at least Audyssey MultEQ, and preferably Audyssey MultEQ XT. Don't be fooled by other room correction tech, like that found in Yamaha stuff. Audyssey is the real deal. You can find it on Marantz and Onkyo as well.

I'm so in love with these little mirage speakers that I have two sets, one in the den and one for the computer here. I bought a full 5.1 set of those polks at newegg btw and vastly prefer the mirages. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZpN5Lqb...er-System.html

You can find them cheaper than that if you're patient. I'm even impressed with the bundled sub. I was planning on selling it and replacing, but it is great, agile, smooth. Anyway, love the nanosats. This setup will blow any typical htib away (probably any htib period). Just keep in mind Audyssey is the key. Unless you've spent a lot of time and money treating your room, Audyssey will make a bigger difference in the sound than what sort of speaker you buy. Seriously.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq/tourfor an explanation of what exactly it does.

edit: just wanted to point out that Audyssey 2EQ doesn't cut it. It doesn't include bass management, one of the major components. You will see that on some of the lower end receivers. MultEQ or higher only.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just make sure to check the specifications on how many HDMI inputs you are getting with each reciever, and make sure it's enough for all your devices(for now, and the next several years). Messing with an HDMI switch is a pain in the ass if you have to add more. That $200 refurb Denon has 4, the $450 has 6 including one on the front for temporary devices (phone, tablet, laptop, camera/recorder etc). I don't even have a ton of stuff and I use 4 with my satellite box, Xbox 360, PS3, and Roku. Would be nice to have an extra on the front for plugging in a portable device, as it stands now if I want to plug in my laptop/PC or a phone or whatever I just have to go straight into the TVs extra HDMI port, and not through my stereo unless I want to screw with getting behind my receiver into the sea of random cords and unplugging something.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I would definitely get as many HDMI ports as you can, but I wouldn't spend a ton extra for just them either. My HDMI switch cost me under $30 I believe, and adds 5 more, and has worked flawlessly for a year and a half now. It even has a tiny little remote (which I never use, because the auto-switching works seamlessly) in case you can't figure out how to set it up right. It literally saved me from having to spend hundreds more on a new receiver since mine only had 2 HDMI ports at the time.

I'll link it again if anyone cares, as it qualifies as one of the best purchases I've ever made.