Homebrewing

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Speaking of doing your own shit, I did some electrolytic acid etching in my brew kettle tonight to put gallon markers in it. I don't need no stinken sight glass!

rrr_img_61825.jpg

rrr_img_61826.jpg

rrr_img_61827.jpg

rrr_img_61828.jpg

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While the construction work is pretty nice, im not sure id trust the culligan shower filter to deliver good brew water standards.
Also its probably filtering via membrane(s),so a final setup should be kept constantly wet on the pressure side, which makes for a hassle for transportation or detaching and storing it for days / weeks.

Really nice job on the etching, though im a fan for the oldschool dip a calibrated / marked stick in the kettle and read the marks guy ;-)

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The filter uses a KDF (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion) filtering media which is rated to remove 99% of water-soluble lead, mercury, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals.

The Master

Bronze Squire
PicoBrew LLC - Introducing PicoBrew Zymatic(tm)

Surprised no one linked this yet. Turns out the exact same beer every time, online database of recipes, you can add/share recipes. Pricey, but a ton of craft breweries I know now use this to do develop recipes. Before doing a sample batch was almost as big an endeavor as doing a full batch.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Man that is a really... really bad website. There is no information at all.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Man that is a really... really bad website. There is no information at all.
The Kickstarter it had a couple of months ago has more info. I didn't really look at the website, I'm surprised it doesn't have all the same info as the Kickstarter page...

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I did some reading up on the PicoBrew system. For me there is one major question mark with the machine that hasn't be answered to my (or many other homebrewers) satisfaction, and that is how does it get rid of the DMS. This machine doesn't boil the wort and has a max temp of 206 degrees. One of the main purposes for boiling the wort is to drive out DMS. They really haven't answered how the PicoBrew gets ride of DMS other than saying "don't worry about it, we've addressed it and DMS isn't a problem with our system" but they never really elaborate. Conventional brewing wisdom says that with their machine DMS will be a major issue.

I am also a little skeptical of the cleaning aspect of it. They make it sound super simple but any homebrewer with a RIMS tube knows that just running some water and every couple a brews some cleaner through their system just won't cut it. If you can't break down the system for a thorough inspection and cleaning of all parts exposed to the ingredients and wort, I can cleanliness being an issue over time.

Also since this is basically a single infusion/no sparge system efficiency is going to suffer (they claim 50%-65% range). Not something that will stop you from making good beer but will force you to adjust recipes accordingly and to buy more grain.

Lastly since it only does 2.5gallon batches, for me personally I don't think it would save any time over my normal brew-day as I would have to basically brew twice to fill up my keg (although it would be less labor). That problem can be solved pretty easily by buying smaller kegs and/or bottling, but it is a limiting factor. Again, this is just for me personally, I know plenty of homebrewers who love doing small batches.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Havent read much at all on the Pico, but to me the concenr is, it seemingly uses whole grains, so doesnt crush the malt at all would make for a shitty efficency.

On DMS: No clue how they gonna adress it, but you dont need high temperatures to boil for wort stripping (get rid of dms).
Could be done by signifacntly lowering the pressure (low temp cooking) or by letting the wort expand in a seperate chamber as well (just theorycrafting here).
Ill wait on the machine till ive seen it work and heard some long term impressions.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You'd think I would have learned this by now, but always start off with a blow-off tube.

rrr_img_62052.jpg

Tea_sl

shitlord
We learned the hard way what a "big beer" is when our 7 gallon carboy could not hope to constrain our 5 gallons of barleywine.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So anyone do any distilling? I was thinking about putting together a still for distilling water, but for educational purposes only I would be interested in learning about how to hypothetically make whiskey.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well Baconknight my good Ser. I bow down to your brew skill. I have a general setup and nothing really fancy. I used a turkey fryer for my brewkettle, and I have a number of glass/plastic carboys and stuff. It basically gives me a reason to throw parties every month to get rid of it. I have an IPA going right now and I'm making a cream ale tonight because some of my coworkers love it. My boss has a $20k setup in his garage though and it is pretty impressive.

I don't care for his fucking bourbon barrel obsession though. As he uses JD bourbon barrels and I cannot stand the smell/taste of JD. Summer is around the corner here in Texas so I want some crisp summer IPAs ready. I made this 30 second cider for my woman. I thought it was going to be awful, but I actually liked the dry cider that came out of it. Seriously just get some pure apple juice and put in a pinch of champagne yeast and the result is a surprisingly crisp dry cider. I'll toy with making it into a Ginger version next month though. Below is the current situation... except I have the IPA in secondary now.

rrr_img_66839.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So, in the past two weeks I have done 5 batches.

Imperial Stout (aged on bourbon soaked oak chips)
Northwest Pale Ale
Blonde
American Wheat
Wee Heavy

Those are in addition to the DIPA and Saison-Brett I brewed earlier in the month. All 5 gallon batches, I'm going to have a lot of beer to drink. The Northwest Pale ale is a rebrew of a pale that I took 2nd place (out of 38 APA entries) in a recent homebrew contest. Scored 40 points and only got dinged because it was a little TOO hoppy for an APA according to BCJP guidelines. Since my intention was a NWPA, which I interpret to be a little hoppier than a pale but not quite an IPA, I was pleased with the results.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
So anyone do any distilling? I was thinking about putting together a still for distilling water, but for educational purposes only I would be interested in learning about how to hypothetically make whiskey.
Yes!

I messed around with home brewing but honestly A.Takes up to much space B. To do it right you need good gear and lotsa time. C. I wasn't about to spend the duckets for great gear unless I was going to market it,which I wasn't. D. I also didn't like the mess, and bottling I hated the most. I made some good stuff and bad lol.

I turned instead to distilling where there is an art to it but it is much more forgiving and less hassle. My stuff runs about 160 -175 proof and you can pretty much barrel it after diluting it to 90 - 98 proof (I use 5 gallon barrels because they don't have to set for years so in 3 months you got a nice smooth Whiskey)or flavor it however you like. Heres a forum that I got started on. Any questions just msg me I will answer.

Home Distiller Index page

You can distill legally if you get a license to make fuel its not a lot but you can not distill spirits which is freakin ridiculous since you can make beer and wine at home.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Last night I made my first IPA aaand I'm pretty sure that I pushed it up into IIPA territory.

5 gallon batch - 9lb dry pale malt extract, 1.5lbs other actual grains. Hops were 4oz willamette, 2oz simcoe, 2oz chinook, 3oz cascade. Boil was 3.5gal with 2.5gal cold water add at the end. W.L. 001 California Ale yeast.

OG was 1.092 but it looks and tastes pretty good. Super sweet, probably will end up above 8% ABV.

rrr_img_76767.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well, that's cool too
biggrin.png
My previous homebrews have all been under what I wanted ABV-wise so I pumped this one up a good amount.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have my kegs pressurized and the C02 system working. I made a heavy IPA and a hibiscus infused IPA... which does make it smell a bit weird. But looks cool and blood red like wine. I am debating on whether I want to buy all the pieces and put a kegerator together or just buy one of the complete ones since the costs are eerily similar. Short of hunting a specific kind of mini fridge down on craigslist for fuck knows how long.

rrr_img_76939.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Well, I think you get a much better value when you build your own. The upfront cost will be close to the same but a lot of those complete setups uses the cheapest components that they can find meaning you'll be swapping out components in no time.

I personally have a 3 tap keezer that I built. Started off with a 7.0cu ft freezer and built a collar. Probably cost me $600 up front all together including the freezer, but all the components are top-of-the-line. You could do it cheaper if you used middle of the road components and found a deal on a chest freezer (craigslist or K-Mart will often have bargain brand ones on sale for like $100). I like converting a freezer because it gives you a lot of additional functionality. With a temp controller you can also have it double as a fermentation chamber or drop the temperature and use it to cold-crash beers to help with clarification. Also a converted freezer is one of the most energy-efficient ways you can go.

Pics:
rrr_img_76957.jpg
rrr_img_76958.jpg

rrr_img_76959.jpg

About the only thing I would do different is I used aJohnson temp controllerto control the temperature, but now that I have built a couple ofSTC-1000controllers, I would use one of those instead. More accurate, more functionality, a lot less money.