Homebrewing

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I want your sour pale ale.
If it turns out I might be willing to send out a bottle or two. Lets make sure it turns out first as it is my first time using Brett.
wink.png
Well not counting the Saison-Brett but for that I just pitched bottle dregs for a Boulevard Saison-Brett.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
YO

I started with a team of chicks (wife and 3 of her friends) recently. So far we've done 3 batches.

First batch was a double IPA - we're really good at sanitizing, but my only method of keeping it cool (I'm cheap, live in Louisiana, and keep my AC at 78) was sticking the batch in my guest bathtub for the fermenting portion. The batch came out super fucking awesome. The beers tasted like good jet fuel, they were very potent and you felt a buzz after a few sips. It was a really cool moment for us after watching youtube videos and shit vs actually drinking good beers.

The second batch was influenced by the snatch, some. They wanted to add persimmons and cinnamon to make a holiday beer, coined Hugh Hefeweizan. The result was actually not as bad as I thought it would be, and it was kind of like a Blue Moon. The carbonation on these was nice and they were crispy.

Our 3rd batch, a coffee stout, will be done when I get off of work in a couple of days.

The most fun part about this hobby is like golf and sex, the fun part is learning / getting better over time - not necessarily being good. We havn't had a disaster yet, but I'm sure at some point we will! Anyway, when we're ready to move up from being bronzers maybe I'll ask you guys for some advice.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I started out fermenting in a bathtub as well! Well actually I started out not controlling fermentation temps at all and the results were predictably subpar.

The best part about this hobby is even when you mess up, you still make beer. I think I've maybe drain-poured 3 batches total over the last 3 years or so (for reference, I brew 30+ batches a year) and two of those I probably could have choked down if I didn't need the tap space in the kegerator. I'm hundreds of batches and several awards into this hobby and am still learning something new about brewing every day. What I love is that it is part art part science. It is still amazing to me how some aspects of brewing are still barely understood scientifically speaking.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Some thread necromancy here. But I am making a Tripel and a Grapefruit IPA to celebrate my new casa and to crack off the summer.

Also making summer cider with chamagne yeast because its tasty and super easy.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit man, I have not brewed since the late 90s. I still have all my crap int he basement. Propane burner, 4 carboys, 4 corny kegs, C02 tank (needs new regulator) thermometers, hoses all that good shit, homemade wart cooler, 7 gal brew kettle, even have my old lagering fridge with accurate temp control module.

At the time I was usually using malt extracts to make my beers with varying amounts of roasted grains and hop infusions during the boiling phase. But I started to construct an all grain setup that I never finished or tested. It was going to be my next step. But then I got married and had kids and all that shit basically got put in the corner of the basement.

Fuck, I should brew up some beers.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just signed up for one of those delivery services that sends a recipe ingredient kit every quarter or something. I like brewing but not always the homework/calculations so we'll see how a kit or two works out. Site is called Bierbox.co

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just signed up for one of those delivery services that sends a recipe ingredient kit every quarter or something. I like brewing but not always the homework/calculations so we'll see how a kit or two works out. Site is called Bierbox.co
That's pretty cool, going to check it out. At the very least will help you branch out to new styles.

My brewing slowed down a bit due to new kid and then breaking my clavicle, but I'm ramping things up again. New brewstand and 20 gallon kettle:

rrr_img_131647.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nice setup opiate! I run a pretty basic one still. But still effective as anything else.

Saw this the other day in some random link. Reminded me of the Pico Brewer... but cooler in presentation. Tempting to see one just to try it out.

Artbrew Kickstarter

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Any other active home brewers?

Yessir. Roommate and I brew with a dual tap Kegerator.

We have a Session IPA we just started last week using a British Ale yeast used for New England IPAs. We added an extra pound of malt, cuz sessions are for bitches.

We currently have another 8 or so kits on deck. We buy them cheap on Northern Brewer when they do their $20 kit sales.

20170928_202626.jpg

20170917_145434.jpg

Last edited:

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I've been thinking of restarting doing the homebrew thing,. it has been about 25 years or so since i last made a batch, i still have a few of the components - 20 or so 20 oz bottles, a 6 gallon glass carboy and the pot i used, but i'll be buying a whole new set to start off.

last beer i made was a honey amber, using honey instead of malt or sugar, came out really smooth & good. but again that was 25 years ago or so...will be buying the kit tomorrow cleaning/sterilizing everything on sat and brewing whichever initial beer kit i buy (ya ya buying the premade stuff first to get back into the swing of things). will probably do the honey the next batch.

you guys are WAY beyond what i was doing back in the day...

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
ya ya buying the premade stuff first to get back into the swing of things.

That's all we do. Making your own Mash from raw grain is a pain in the ass. We do the 2 hour extract brew to make our wort, though we've gotten into modifying it with extra malt. Next year I'm hopeful for my parents small hop planting to provide enough for a brew or two.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yessir. Roommate and I brew with a dual tap Kegerator.

We have a Session IPA we just started last week using a British Ale yeast used for New England IPAs. We added an extra pound of malt, cuz sessions are for bitches.

Nice! What strain are you using for it?

I just ordered some WLP007. Hoping it works as well for me as it does for Trillium hah

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Bit the bullet and bought the gear I no longer had/could find in the garage.

Spent yesterday cleaning/sterilizing &making a Celtic Red kit the place sells, one modification I did to the recipe is i added a cup of honey to the wort. When it is time to bottle I'll use honey instead of corn sugar for the "starter"

Takes me about 20 minutes to get to the store

Celtic Red Ale

Have to work on the xfer of liquids but this is what it looks like
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hyti5QOjRlHx44Cl1

Last edited:

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
When it is time to bottle I'll use honey instead of corn sugar for the "starter"

Ugh, I despise bottling. If any of you haven't looked into it, kegging is so much easier. Rather then dealing with a large pile of bottles, priming them and then bottle conditioning for 4ish weeks. We can go straight from second stage into our kegs, turn on the gas, and we have beer in about a week. The kegs are also really easy to clean for reuse with no time sitting stale. I don't think I would even consider home brewing if I didn't have a keg option.

Takes me about 20 minutes to get to the store

We are blessed to live about half a mile from our Home brewing shop.
Stomp n Crush – Wine & Beer Making Supplies

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
We used whole fruits and purees in the first beers we bottled. It was pretty fucking painful. The bottler says it can handle 400 bottles per hour, so we figured accounting for the learning curve it’d take a whole day for ~800 bottles. It ended up taking 3 days. The fruit and seeds kept clogging the tubes and gumming up the actuators.

We’re still using whole fruits and purees, but we changed bottlers to gravity filling so no more stuck actuators and thin tubes.