Homeland

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
And in a situation where we wouldn't have to suspend disbelief so much probably some severe legal issues with them doing so.
Legal issues with killing America's most wanted criminal? I don't think they'd have to much trouble.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Legal issues with killing America's most wanted criminal? I don't think they'd have to much trouble.
Right it's easy to sweep under the rug, but he was pardoned for the suicide vest incident and not considered a suspect in the Langley bombing by Carrie or Saul. You kind of have a situation if the truth of that ever comes out, right?

Does it not seem like out of Saul's character to ok that hit? That's all I'm really saying.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Brody was never pardoned so much as he was given an ultimatum: Work for the CIA or be sent to Gitmo for the rest of your days. It was the same sort of deal Javadi got after killing his ex-wife.

As far as the truth ever getting out, I'm sure Saul has considered the possibility, but I think he also realizes his days with the CIA are numbered. He has one last chance to accomplish what he's been working towards for decades, so he's put all his chips in. Also, I don't think he sees Brody's innocence as much of a liability. Of the few people that are convinced of his innocence, what proof do that have? Javadi's word? What good is that? The only person who would be likely to argue that the CIA killed an "innocent" man would be Carrie and, well, her credibility has been pretty much shot to hell already. Saul thinks ahead. I don't think he would've done something so risky as employ the most wanted man in America unless he knew he had some insurance - not just for himself, but also for the agency.

spronk

FPS noob
so I guess the CIA doing crazy/stupid shit in Iran and it all going south isn't so far fetched after all
Ex-FBI agent who disappeared in Iran was on rogue mission for CIA, officials say - The Washington Post

I wonder who the Carrie is in that story

oh don't forget there is still the mystery person in America who actually triggered the bomb and can ... not really do much to prove Brodys innocence, but I suppose Carrie will want to find them. Its hard to come up with a scenario in which Brody doesn't die, he is now a major liability to Javadi and the CIA and no sane person would believe anything he says at this point.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Brody was never pardoned so much as he was given an ultimatum: Work for the CIA or be sent to Gitmo for the rest of your days. It was the same sort of deal Javadi got after killing his ex-wife.

As far as the truth ever getting out, I'm sure Saul has considered the possibility, but I think he also realizes his days with the CIA are numbered. He has one last chance to accomplish what he's been working towards for decades, so he's put all his chips in. Also, I don't think he sees Brody's innocence as much of a liability. Of the few people that are convinced of his innocence, what proof do that have? Javadi's word? What good is that? The only person who would be likely to argue that the CIA killed an "innocent" man would be Carrie and, well, her credibility has been pretty much shot to hell already. Saul thinks ahead. I don't think he would've done something so risky as employ the most wanted man in America unless he knew he had some insurance - not just for himself, but also for the agency.
I don't disagree much of this. I'm just saying it's out of character for Saul to ok Brody's death there. Saul, a character who through the whole show has acted with a firm sense of morality. He's not in love with Brody like Carrie is, but he knows Brody didn't bomb Langley. As easy as this cover up would be it still feel out of character to me. Beyond that, the jump Brody makes from 'oh fuck the CIA is trying to kill me' to 'well i better prove myself big time then' makes little sense. I might turn on the USA once they make the decision to try and kill me.

Also, you're wrong about Brody's deal. I might be using the wrong term by saying pardon, but it wasn't an under the table ultimatum. In season two we see scenes where Brody is told he has to step down from congress by order of the attorney general and season three opens with the senator douchebag having a copy of Brody's immunity deal.

So sure, the CIA can kill him there with no worry of reproach. That still doesn't mean they're not killing an innocent US citizen. Even if it's only "technically" innocent.

felldoh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Saul changed when he realized the senator was out to completely destroy his CIA. You could see it when Javadi took Carrie, Quinn tells him they don't have eyes on her, she's on her own, and Saul says 'Good'. He needs to win and win fast in order to save that which he loves.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Saul changed when he realized the senator was out to completely destroy his CIA. You could see it when Javadi took Carrie, Quinn tells him they don't have eyes on her, she's on her own, and Saul says 'Good'. He needs to win and win fast in order to save that which he loves.
This is fine. It's not that I don't understand what you guys are saying. It still just seems more like rationalizing the action though. I just feel like the Brody hit was there more as a device than as something any of these characters would actually do. It got him in the room he had to be and it put a split second of doubt in the viewers mind.

Two episodes ago Saul isn't exposing the senator's spy out of respect for his wife. He's still portrayed as the moral compass of this show.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
but, brody is dog shit in saul's eyes, he's a traitor, why bother protecting a traitor? he played him like an expendable asset, they trained him and they even used that weird drug that would let him kick heroin but really bad for you, saul said, just do it.

there's nothing redeemable about brody, some dumb solider who was turned and is lucky enough to end up a senator, and dumb enough to bomb the place, and emo enough to let his daughter talk him out of it, only to set up a hit and kill the vp.

i know what some of you are thinking, IT"S CAPTAIN WINTERS, i know i had this problem too! i fucking watch band of brothers every xmas with my bros, but brody is NOT captain winters, he's a piece of shit solider that can't think for himself that converted to islam and wants to bomb lots of things...

and also, hot firefly wife... decides to sleep on floor, wimp.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't disagree much of this. I'm just saying it's out of character for Saul to ok Brody's death there. Saul, a character who through the whole show has acted with a firm sense of morality. He's not in love with Brody like Carrie is, but he knows Brody didn't bomb Langley. As easy as this cover up would be it still feel out of character to me. Beyond that, the jump Brody makes from 'oh fuck the CIA is trying to kill me' to 'well i better prove myself big time then' makes little sense. I might turn on the USA once they make the decision to try and kill me.
My interpretation wasn't that Brody ran to Nazir's widow with the intention of finally carrying out his plan. He really didn't appear to make up his mind until Akbari mentioned that that was "where it all began" with Nazir. In fact, it did seem like hewasturning on the USA up until that point, but since the writers tend to keep Brody's thought process fairly opaque, it's hard to say with any certainty.

Also, you're wrong about Brody's deal. I might be using the wrong term by saying pardon, but it wasn't an under the table ultimatum. In season two we see scenes where Brody is told he has to step down from congress by order of the attorney general and season three opens with the senator douchebag having a copy of Brody's immunity deal.

So sure, the CIA can kill him there with no worry of reproach. That still doesn't mean they're not killing an innocent US citizen. Even if it's only "technically" innocent.
I don't think we're saying different things. Brody was given immunity if he played double-agent to take down Nazir, but it was made pretty clear that it was that or he spend the rest of his life in prison with his name ruined. (And, I never said the deal was under the table, but it's clear it's the sort of deal that only works the fewer people that know about it.) But this really doesn't play into Brody's innocence as it currently stands.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Leaked hd final episode; should be available at your favorite torrent site. Good ending imo.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Obvious spoilers after season finale got leaked today, don't click unless you've seen the episode :

Brody dies and reading spoilers before watching the episode is bad and you should feel bad. You were warned anyway.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dat finale.

I'm glad they finally had the balls to kill off Brody. It was lonnnnnnnng overdue. Hopefully there's not too much baby-drama in season 4. Overall it was a really good wrap-up to a lot of stuff, pretty satisfied.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Like a fucking idiot I clicked on that shit without thinking because I thought i couldn't possibly be spoiled in this thread.

Downloading now.
frown.png

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It was hard to stay enthused about the episode after the midway point. I felt detached.

The Brody/Nazir thing is powerful, but I'd like to see a wider perspective on the CIA efforts. I'd really dig a non-islamic story too, but I think that's going to remain central.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
thank god he died. this series should never have had a 3rd season, please dont let there be a 4th

Cybsled

It's a change from regular to guest...doesn't mean forever, but means significantly less.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm glad the show is finally over. Only took them 2 years.

(no chance I'm watching whatever they put out going forward)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That was a really good finale and I really liked this season. Good shit. I hated season 2, I'll probably check out season 4 now.