Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
We got 10 chickens when we started out. Down to 7 now. I was a Rooster, we ate it after it scratched my 2 yo. Another layer got impacted, my beautiful Silver Wynonadette. We had one just get so lethargic we put it down, was just sickly.

We were getting about 7 eggs a day with 7 hens, but 2 are broody now and 1 or 2 are not laying each day, so only getting 3-4 eggs a day. We are getting 10 more because we love getting a dozen eggs a day. Any extra are easy to sell for us at $7 a dozen. Consider more than 6. Also, look into fountain for watering, having to change water sucks. The Chicken Fountain - HOME is easy to use, about 74$ i think when I got one, can be built easy enough but time was a factor.

They have an enclosure about 200 sqft to roam, and then another 300 attached but uncovered, we open the gate and they have yard sections we pipe them to to take care of weeds/slugs/fertilize.

Do you have or want any polytunnels at all? We found a USDA program that subsidizes about 2.99 a sqft or more for high tunnels, it knocked a big chunk off for us. It might not work for your climante, but we get 4 seasons now in it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
We got 10 chickens when we started out. Down to 7 now. I was a Rooster, we ate it after it scratched my 2 yo. Another layer got impacted, my beautiful Silver Wynonadette. We had one just get so lethargic we put it down, was just sickly.

We were getting about 7 eggs a day with 7 hens, but 2 are broody now and 1 or 2 are not laying each day, so only getting 3-4 eggs a day. We are getting 10 more because we love getting a dozen eggs a day. Any extra are easy to sell for us at $7 a dozen. Consider more than 6. Also, look into fountain for watering, having to change water sucks. The Chicken Fountain - HOME is easy to use, about 74$ i think when I got one, can be built easy enough but time was a factor.

They have an enclosure about 200 sqft to roam, and then another 300 attached but uncovered, we open the gate and they have yard sections we pipe them to to take care of weeds/slugs/fertilize.

Do you have or want any polytunnels at all? We found a USDA program that subsidizes about 2.99 a sqft or more for high tunnels, it knocked a big chunk off for us. It might not work for your climante, but we get 4 seasons now in it.

Thanks. Ya i'm going to try to automate as much as possible. We're still debating on portable or permanent coop (have read pros and cons of each), but either way it's going to be sitting kitty corner to part of the pasture so i'll get use the movable electric net fences to give them different quadrants of a part of the pasture near there area to do their thing in. Figure i'll move it around every month or so.

We're just starting with 6 because we're going to be doing baby steps into this whole thing over the next few years. My endgame vision is 15-20.

I'll definitely look into polytunnels. My wife's going to be taking point with the growing so again, we'll be starting small and learning and will expand, maybe eventually into a polytunnel. Thanks for the info.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
to protect flocks of tasty animals from predators, put an alpaca or two in there. they are stroppy fucks that stomp dogs and foxes and the like, but are chill around the sheep and working dogs.

Flock Protection Using Alpacas - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

That's a good idea. We're going to get a working dog puppy next year, currently have two bum ass suburb indoor dogs and it's way past the point they'll be of any real use besides being spoiled fucks. I've had some apprehensions about donkeys because of having a working dog or two, so that sounds like a solution. Either or though, figure a working dog will be smart enough to stay the fuck away from a donkey, and if not I guess darwin does his job...

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
From my experience: predators are going to be your biggest problem and headache. I finally got rid of my poultry because if I forgot to put them up at night, some would get taken. Some would still get taken in broad day light. Make your coop in a way where your birds won't roost next to the wire or critters will kill them through the wire too.

Forget all about Alpaca as a guard. a Llama might do something vs. dogs/coyotes but not much else. A donkey has a very good chance of turning on your own animals and being too rough with them, even killing them (especially new animals and new babies). I had a donkey, and have a llama now. My opinion is a livestock guardian dog is the way to go, but then you have a dog you need to feed everyday or cause issues with the neighbors, so you have to pick your poison. I dont have a guard dog and just have to accept a higher rate of loss.

about goats: the breed they call myotonic or fainting goats are in my opinion the easiest to contain and take care of. They are not escape artists and dont climb or jump well. These are what I have and I've never had one escape in 10 years, even when using just three foot electro netting.

Black Vultures will swarm newborn kids and reduce them to bones if they are born in the wrong place at the wrong time. some even tore open the backside of the nanny trying to get the placenta or kid or who knows (I came too late) and she had to be put down. This might of been one of those other instances where a guard dog would of been better than my old donkey or my Llama. /shrug

I'm trying to tell you things that I learned the hard way and saw with my own eyes. The basic stuff you will read about like you said on youtube or whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I skimmed the replies here and will give you a much more detailed reply later once I check your area and ask my brother a few questions. Few quick points though.

Fences, shelters and outbuildings are going to be your absolute best resource for longevity of your stock. Forget dogs, llamas, random shotgun blasts into the sky...Just build damn good modular fences and space conscious outbuildings and pens for any stock. Always plan to build as small an enclosure as possible while keeping expansion in mind. You want to be able to maximize your space vs output. I know 20 acres seems like a lot, but the more fauna you introduce, that space starts to shrink REALLY fast.

You are going to lose stock no matter what when you are starting out. It's just a fact. Your entire run of initial 6 hens could be gone in a few months for simple relocation reasons, environmental reasons notwithstanding. Be prepared to replace anything you start out with and trying new methods. Expect to do that multiple times. Don't name your fucking animals unless you are prepared to bring them into the house.

Best advice I can give you is do not listen to ANYONE here.

Talk to your neighbors, your breeders, your feeders, your contractors and every local farmer and rancher you can. They are going to be a damn sight more knowledgeable about what you need to do than any of us on the internet that don't own land where you do. The goats we had in NM might be fucking terrible for your specific location. Being in Cali it's possible a guy just 100 miles away might have bad environmental advice so your best resources is those that have made it work near you.

Good fucking job man and I am excited for you.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Best advice I can give you is do not listen to ANYONE here.

Then you go on to tell him to trust in fences. He is going to learn real quick fences are only good for keeping stock in. You will never keep predators out. Ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Then you go on to tell him to trust in fences. He is going to learn real quick fences are only good for keeping stock in. You will never keep predators out. Ever.

Don't be contentious bro. Fences CAN keep a good amount of predators out and this is coming from a guy that has had to shoot his fair amount of coyotes. You have a 3' sunk modular tube fence with wire up to 4' high and you check for digging every week and you can be damn sure only the most starving of coyotes is getting in. Again, this is location dependent. You mentioned black vultures but where he lives, that isn't even a concern so why bother for it? Might as well give him advice about Hyena protection.

If you kept reading you would see that I said he was going to lose stock no matter what. It's a fact of having a farm/ranch. Having a damn good fence and a safe place for stock to be in at night is a good thing and going to be your primary defense against the elements and predators.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The property is already fully fenced for horse and cow. Multiple sectional fences are in place too. I'll also be fencing in even smaller sections to breakdown the different animal runs, as the time comes to bring in animals.

Screamfeeder Screamfeeder we have a set of friends that are already 10 years ahead of us with this type of lifestyle (they've got 10 acres) and are breeding goats, pigs and chickens. Previous owners are a huge help too, and the whole 'farm' community in the area is great. I'm thinking this thread will be less for strait up advice and more for conversation, best practices and sharing for the few people we have doing some homesteading (anything from just having a garden to the folks to own and work for profit ranches/farms). Like I said i'll start posting pictures ect in a few months once I build the coop and get going. Would love to be starting now but we got a couple weeks of travel beginning next week.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder we have a set of friends that are already 10 years ahead of us with this type of lifestyle (they've got 10 acres) and are breeding goats, pigs and chickens. Previous owners are a huge help too, and the whole 'farm' community in the area is great.
That really is going to be your best source. They will know the soil, plants, weather, infestations cycles better than anyone else. Good luck trying to sell your extra eggs btw with all the others around you (unless you eat over a dozen eggs a day). Wasted eggs was always a big point of soreness from my dad.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That really is going to be your best source. They will know the soil, plants, weather, infestations cycles better than anyone else. Good luck trying to sell your extra eggs btw with all the others around you (unless you eat over a dozen eggs a day). Wasted eggs was always a big point of soreness from my dad.

I don't want to sell shit. I'd only ever think about selling babies if I got into breeding, but I doubt that's a direction we're going to go unless it turns out I get obsessed with the lifestyle and go full retard. I'll give extras away to friends and/or they'll go into the compost. And one day if I have pigs they'll go to them. Wife and I do eat a fuckton of eggs though.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I don't want to sell shit.
You say that now. Just wait until your local farmers market buyers are spending $6.00 a dozen for "Kiroys Best Damn Eggs" and you get a shout out in your local weekly free reader.

You will have your kids out there every Sunday hawking that shit.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You say that now. Just wait until your local farmers market buyers are spending $6.00 a dozen for "Kiroys Best Damn Eggs" and you get a shout out in your local weekly free reader.

You will have your kids out there every Sunday hawking that shit.

we got no kids and i'd need the eggs selling at about $60 a dozen to make sitting at a farmers market worth my time

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Don't be contentious bro. Fences CAN keep a good amount of predators out and this is coming from a guy that has had to shoot his fair amount of coyotes. You have a 3' sunk modular tube fence with wire up to 4' high and you check for digging every week and you can be damn sure only the most starving of coyotes is getting in. Again, this is location dependent. You mentioned black vultures but where he lives, that isn't even a concern so why bother for it? Might as well give him advice about Hyena protection.

If you kept reading you would see that I said he was going to lose stock no matter what. It's a fact of having a farm/ranch. Having a damn good fence and a safe place for stock to be in at night is a good thing and going to be your primary defense against the elements and predators.

The black vulture was more a example of how things can come out of nowhere and surprise you, things that you never even hear about on the internet. Four foot fence, hell six or eight foot fence won't stop bobcat which are a lot more common then people realize and what I attribute most of my loses over the years to, not coyote. Bobcats can and will attack during the day too and i've found them feeding on adult goats and even had one kill a half grown emu once.

another point I want to bring up that I touched on when I said I got rid of chickens because of having to constantly lock them up (which is your suggestion as the first line of defense). Yes penning up animals in buildings will keep them safe at night (mostly) but it gets to be a hell of a chore and what you once thought was your hobby farm becomes a chain and anchor. Also I have a personal philosophy of only keeping animals in good conditions (my opinion) so I won't keep chickens if I have to keep them locked up 24/7. I have 20 acres in Florida by the way and I suppose you could say i've been doing what kilroy wants to do these past 10 years or so.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
The black vulture was more a example of how things can come out of nowhere and surprise you, things that you never even hear about on the internet. Four foot fence, hell six or eight foot fence won't stop bobcat which are a lot more common then people realize and what I attribute most of my loses over the years to, not coyote. Bobcats can and will attack during the day too and i've found them feeding on adult goats and even had one kill a half grown emu once.

another point I want to bring up that I touched on when I said I got rid of chickens because of having to constantly lock them up (which is your suggestion as the first line of defense). Yes penning up animals in buildings will keep them safe at night (mostly) but it gets to be a hell of a chore and what you once thought was your hobby farm becomes a chain and anchor. Also I have a personal philosophy of only keeping animals in good conditions (my opinion) so I won't keep chickens if I have to keep them locked up 24/7. I have 20 acres in Florida by the way and I suppose you could say i've been doing what kilroy wants to do these past 10 years or so.

I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, just offering my own experiences. I never had bobcat problems on our 50A ranch, our 500A horse grazing property or the 250A mountain property. We had coyotes and mountain lion. That's because I grew up and lived in an area where that was a concern. No fence under 10 feet is going to stop a hungry mountain lion, especially if you missed a tree that was close enough.

My point was simply that you cannot be out there 24/7 and having good barriers and shelter is your best first defense and will do more in the long run than any kind of "guard animal". I can't tell you how many times our outdoor, mean as nails farm dog Pena would go apeshit, only for me, my brother and my dad to all come running out to check on the horses to find that a coyote was tangled up in the barbed wire trying to get into the elevated goat pen.

Goatface

this should start at 34min 20 sec, joe talking about his dog/chicken
but they start talking about coyotes around the 30min mark

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Not discounting the use of a good fence. My perimeter fence is 4 foot bekaert no-climb horse fence with a strand of barb wire on top and a strand just below ground level. I keep my ratites (ostriches/rhea/emu) behind the 5 foot version with extra three strands of barb wire on top making it a six foot fence. It helps, especially vs. dogs. With coyotes its a constant battle to fill in holes all along the perimeter that armadillos, possums, raccoons, gopher tortoises start, and coyotes enlarge. For the bobcats, the fence may as well not exist. We get the occasional migrant Puma in the area, but so far they are too rare. Ditto for black bear in my area. I know the coyotes are everywhere because of the tracks, why they don't attack more is beyond me. I can only say MAYBE the Llama is doing something to discourage them either actively or passively no proof though.

I put a few very old nannies in one of the six foot emu fenced pens in the last month and one had some babies. Bobcat grabbed one by the throat in broad daylight but dropped it and ran off when I just happened to go back there. It survived with antibiotics and moving them into the enclosed barn for now. Very lucky little kid.

I'd say I lose on average one goat/goat kid 3 or 4 months on average. Yes that sounds low and I think its a combination of fence/llama/open barn for the animals to sleep in (door stays open though) and vigilance in keeping the perimeter sealed best I can. Oh, and removing brush from the areas the goats can't get to helps keep the bobcats from taking opportunities. The emu/ostrich pens are very overgrown and tree covered, which is why I wanted to put some nannies in there to clear them, and the local bobcats saw their opportunity in there and took it.

I also learned the very hard way to try and put the goats into the barn either to give birth or as soon as I notice they have given birth. If a goat goes into labor under the open sky in the day, the vultures come on down.

• 1Like

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
My experience would not be the same as his for sure, so I understand what Hollywood meant. We have an urban farm , so we have 1/4 inch hardware cloth fully encapsulating the chicken enclosure and an automatic door on a timer to let them in and out. I built the thing and built it to keep opossum and raccoon out. Homeless people would wreck my shit, and some times I see the chickens freak and run under my rosemary, then i look around and will see a hawk or eagle way up there circling. We do great, but yes, city life !=

Also as a side project I am putting RFID bands on the chickens and wiring the yard to have a system start aggregating movement patterns, but that is nerd.