Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Flock of geese and a 12ga kept my farm safe from true predators when I lived in the states. Geese make an unholy racket when just about anything out of the ordinary happens, the 12ga is self explanatory.

Always be armed on a farm, and a good knife is essential.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I kept big grey Toulouse geese for awhile. The issue with them was they'd get a bug up their ass and decide they hated some of the chickens or roosters and would beat the hell out of them. Bred them for a couple years then sold.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised to hear about bobcats coming into the yard. We have them here but they are very shy and I don't recall one ever coming close to the buildings. Maybe it's different in more populated areas though.

The thing we run into most in the yard is raccoons and skunks. A dog in the yard at night will keep a lot of critters away. My Mom's old dog died right before Christmas last year and I couldn't believe the number of deer in the yard, right up next to her house for the rest of the winter. Nothing is fool proof, but we let the chickens run free around the yard and as long as they get shut up at night we rarely lose any to predators. There are exceptions of course. 2 years ago we had a family of raccoons break into the chicken house and eat 27 nearly full-grown chickens in one night. It was pretty fucking amazing. Who knew that a mother coon and 6 half grown babies could eat that much chicken? All that was left was a gigantic pile of feathers and a couple feet. A few nights later though, the dog treed them all in the yard and they got shot. Stupid of them to come back because there were no more chickens lol.

Another thing a lot of people miss about chickens is that you need to eat them and get new ones fairly regularly if you want the eggs to keep coming. We get new ones every year but we have kept them laying for a couple years. Once they get much older than that though, they tend to quit laying or at least slow way down and you start getting eggs the size of olives.

If you have outbuildings, it's good to have some barn cats as well. All of ours died off back when I was a kid and the place got incredibly infested with mice very quickly.

I think donkeys, alpacas, and llamas are more novelty animals than serious protection for sheep and goats. Our neighbors who raise sheep use guard dogs, but I only hear about the other animals from hobby farmers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
We get new ones every year but we have kept them laying for a couple years. Once they get much older than that though, they tend to quit laying or at least slow way down and you start getting eggs the size of olives.
Damn that is a high chicken turnaround from what I was used to. Do you recall what the breed was? We had mostly gold comets and a few different reds mixed in. We had laying hens doing just fine for about 4-6 years before we had to replace them.

EDIT - oh here is a tip Kiroy Kiroy

DON'T EVER GET FUCKING LEGHORNS UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO COMMIT A LONG FORM VERSION OF SUICIDE! They literally never shut up and will spook and freak the fuck out about a goddamn butterfly coming near them. Leghorns are demon spawn.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Damn that is a high chicken turnaround from what I was used to. Do you recall what the breed was? We had mostly gold comets and a few different reds mixed in. We had laying hens doing just fine for about 4-6 years before we had to replace them.

EDIT - oh here is a tip Kiroy Kiroy

DON'T EVER GET FUCKING LEGHORNS UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO COMMIT A LONG FORM VERSION OF SUICIDE! They literally never shut up and will spook and freak the fuck out about a goddamn butterfly coming near them. Leghorns are demon spawn.

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

I'm going for a combo of docile, large eggs and 'best in hot climate'. (and good rate of eggs obviously)

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
So that article...

96a72d5d67bf2d07ba45820ad6b78500.png

Jesus christ what

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

I don't do the chicken ordering so I'm not sure. It may have to do with the fact that we have winter here or maybe we just like eating chicken.

So that article...

Jesus christ what

Welcome to nature! When I hear people talking about how terrible zoos are I always think those people probably don't have a very good understanding of what life in the wild is like.

• 1Solidarity

Rime

<Donor>
So that article...

Jesus christ what

Many domesticated herd animals will haul out to the middle of no-where to give birth if you do not keep them close to home when you figure they are due. Predators love to nip in and take bites of the calf, as the mother is usually too exhausted to defend it very well.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Back from travel and been working my ass off, not super interesting stuff though.

I'm working on repairing all irrigation and then i'll be spending the fall automating the whole fucking shit. It's all manual now, which gets tedius. At the same time I need to organize and build out my garage so I can have a partial 'shop' in which I can do some decent woodworking to build shit. It's more than twice as big as my old garage and I had that place set up nice for doing woodwork so shouldn't be too hard.

After or during the shop build out i'll start putting in a few 4x16' raised gardens near the house for the old lady to get started with. If she can do good with that we'll till up part of the upper pasture and let her go ham. I'll start getting some pictures going soon but they're going to be somewhat lame since I'm active in 'controversial' threads around here and I don't want no dox'n going on.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Take some pics Kilroy! - selfishly want this thread to be like the fish guy from RR, remember that epic business thread? It's great when you read about someone who is actually living the life..

Sounds like your working hard.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Northern cali.
I'm going to drop in on you one of these days. Make sure you have some pilsner and cucumbers ready.

Seriously though, we're in the process of expanding into NorCal at work, and I may get sent down for a week in a couple months. You should let me map your place out.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm going to drop in on you one of these days. Make sure you have some pilsner and cucumbers ready.

Seriously though, we're in the process of expanding into NorCal at work, and I may get sent down for a week in a couple months. You should let me map your place out.

send me a pm when you're gonna be around

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting topic, Kiroy. The wife and I have been talking about something like this for the past year. It's still 12-15 years off, when we're done in the corporate world, but we want a dozen or two acres in: Tennessee, Georgia, or the Carolinas so we can have chickens, goats, horses, and dogs (she loves dog rescue and boarding). Plus, enough garden for our favorite veggies. I'd like 25-30 acres so I can have more woods for trails. The tough part though, is finding that land within 20 minutes of a major city so we can shop and dine and have access to an big airport for travel.

I'm curious to hear your experiences with farm animals, long term.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious to hear your experiences with farm animals, long term.

we've got so much shit on our to do list to make day to day chores easier and more automated, that it may end up being a couple months before we even get chickens. Will likely lease out pasture space to a friend of a friend with cows though pretty soon. And building three 4x12 raised gardens right next to the house for the wife to get started learning some more advanced gardening stuff (we've always done small gardens so she knows a little). Next months i'll start focusing on animal space build outs in the north pasture next to the garage. We really want to set things up right and so they last long term instead of just willy nilly throwing a bunch of living things in the pasture and then struggling to build the support system they need all gheto like as we learn about keeping em.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents based not from personal experience, but from a family member who did this upon retirement.

Chickens are a great way to get started on livestock. Just make sure the coop is predator tight at night. You also have to open the coop in the mornings and lock it at night. This has the drawback that someone always has to be there to take care of things, so that cuts down on vacations away from home. After a while what this family member did was build a shelter completely covered in chicken wire, and put in an automated door opener/closer on a timer. That meant they could spend the night somewhere and not have to worry too much, but it's not something you leave for a week.

6-8 chickens are a good starting spot, plenty of eggs, probably more than you can eat, and not too much maintenance apart from what I said above. It's also relatively easy to increase the number if you want. And free range chicken that you raise yourself tastes fucking amazing!

Larger livestock such as pigs and/or goats you should not get into until after a year or two of chicken raising. By that time you know if you're into it or not, and if you find half a dozen chickens a chore, don't go for anything larger. If, however, you like it, try out a pair.

On of the best things you can do is to get to know your neighbours. Chances are they have been doing shit like this for longer than you and have some good tips. Farming communities also tend to become tight-knit and help each other out. Makes both for a great sense of community (if you're lucky to have a good farming community) and can save you a lot of time and money by teaching and helping you do shit. I think this is actually what my family member enjoys most out of this, the communal aspect.

You may want to think long term with regards to crop farming. If you have the space, plant some berry bushes, and some fruit trees. Sure, they won't give you anything for a few years, but after that it's great. My family member bought their homestead complete with apple, peach and cherry trees, as well as some large berry bushes. Autumns = fresh fruit for snacks and desert every day, and the winters are spent eating the copious amounts of preserves and jams. And apart from a few hard days work in the autumn, (and possibly while growing if you plant them young), they take care of themselves. You may also want to think of planting some hops if you intend on homebrewing beer.

Potatoes, beets and other root vegetables are also relatively low maintenance, and well worth it. Well worth digging into info on multi-year crops such as beans and peas too.

Homesteading is awesome, for those who like it, but it will sap all your spare time from you. Don't underestimate it, but as I say, if you like it, go for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Aren't some bushes really good as a defense? or will animals eat though that quick time. My fathers house was covered out front with hedges that were spiky as hell, I did some hedge trimming and the barb went through my trainer soul and into my foot once. Not sure what it was.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
On of the best things you can do is to get to know your neighbours. Chances are they have been doing shit like this for longer than you and have some good tips. Farming communities also tend to become tight-knit and help each other out. Makes both for a great sense of community (if you're lucky to have a good farming community) and can save you a lot of time and money by teaching and helping you do shit. I think this is actually what my family member enjoys most out of this, the communal aspect.

This is good advice, and not only for the benefits, but for the possible drawbacks if you get off on the wrong foot. In a tight-knit community you're either part of it or you're not, and it could be the difference between 15 neighbors showing up to put out a fire on your land while you're not home to someone just calling 911 and your house burning down while you wait for the fire department to show up. Being a member of a close community is great. Being an outsider in a close community can be pretty shitty. FWIW, throwing money around is NOT a great way to fit in to a farming community. That's something the recent transplants in my neighborhood have not figured out. Putting out tons of No Trespassing signs is also not a great ice breaker. For some reason people who have not owned land before seem to be extremely paranoid that people are going to trespass on it but it just comes off as unfriendly and probably no one wants to come on your land anyway.

Speaking of fires, you should probably have some method of fighting fire available to you. Even if you just start with a 25 gallon ATV sprayer that will put out a lot of fire. Ideally you would have an old pickup truck with a slide-in fire rig or at least a trailer. Wildfires are pretty easy to handle if you get them while they're small, but waiting too long can make them into a huge deal.

Something like this for $2-3K in an old $1000 pickup truck could really save your ass, and if you are the one that accidentally started the fire it will really improve your standing in the neighborhood if you also put it out yourself. Don't think that shit can't happen either. Not long before I left California a woman started a wildfire burning trash in a burning barrel and burned down like 100 houses and wound up in prison. If she'd had even an ATV sprayer handy she might have avoided that. Not burning trash in a barrel when it's tinder dry out would have also been a better strategy.

268170_2_400x400.jpg

Another fundamental difference in rural areas vs. cities is that you have to do things for yourself. In cities people just call someone if they have a flat tire, or a leak under the sink, or their yard light quits working. Hell lots of city people don't even clean their own house, walk their own dog, or wash their own car. All that shit is prohibitively expensive when you're out in the sticks so it really pays to become more self-sufficient and that includes police/emergency services. They're just not going to respond as fast as you would like them to depending how far out of town you are.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users