Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Molten Core Raider
My father in law has a pretty good size chicken coop that has lasted 25+ years. He used house siding (t-111 I think it was?) and painted it. He overbuilds, but it has survived quite a few hurricanes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What would you guys recommend building the coop out of? Cedar or redwood and then maybe stain or paint for more protection??

Even pine would be fine, especially if you paint or stain it. All our outbuildings are sided with pine. Needs some repairs occasionally. Just not glued together stuff out in the rain, or if you use OSB/plywood then it needs some siding over it.

This is what I mean by board and batten...

board-batten-eastern-white-pine-e1473262428721.jpg

It's a nice look and you can paint or stain it.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What breed of goats are you guys raising and do you use them for meat, milk or?

pygmy and nigerians and they're for hobby/learning so far - we'll move to breeding when next, and then i'd like to start doing some meat goats and seeing if there's a market around here

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What would you guys recommend building the coop out of? Cedar or redwood and then maybe stain or paint for more protection??

after building my own and talking to some buddies that built theirs, we all decided buying a pre built shed and converting it to a coop would have been the smarter move. Especially if you want more than 5 or 6 chickens

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
O
after building my own and talking to some buddies that built theirs, we all decided buying a pre built shed and converting it to a coop would have been the smarter move. Especially if you want more than 5 or 6 chickens
oh wow interesting. I’ll have to look into this. Thanks

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So for those of you with chickens, what do you do with used up hens? This is the first generation I've had age out of laying and they're bullying the fuck out of the one remaining layer so they need to go. My options are to either butcher them or give them away/sell them for a pittance.

If you butcher them, do you bother with a special fattening diet first, or do you just get to cutting?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So for those of you with chickens, what do you do with used up hens? This is the first generation I've had age out of laying and they're bullying the fuck out of the one remaining layer so they need to go. My options are to either butcher them or give them away/sell them for a pittance.

If you butcher them, do you bother with a special fattening diet first, or do you just get to cutting?

Butcher them and don't use them for anything but soup. Cook the dickens out of them, and don't expect huge amounts of meat.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I retire them and let them live it out but I have the room. Sounds like you don't. lurkingdirk has the answer

if you have dogs you could quick butcher and piece em out to them over a few meals

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
chop their head and throw em in the garbage bin if you don't want to deal with it
Naw if some Amish kid wants to go to the trouble just for soup stock/casserole meat he's welcome to them, that's what we ended up doing with the rooster we couldn't get to shut up. I just didn't understand before today how big a difference there really is between broilers and layers.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, they're barely the same animal. We used to get unsexed chicks and butcher the roosters but after we raised some broilers I just can't go back to those egg layer roosters so we get sexed laying hens and then buy broilers. The broilers are kind of tricky though. They die at the drop of a hat and generally just don't seem that healthy or that they were actually meant to exist in the world. Taste delicious though.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Figure I'd start posting in this thread instead of home buying thread.

Starting to make some good progress on home.

First had to put main storm water pit in. Size of this thing is just ridiculous overkill, thanks EPA. Fun waste of money to make the govt happy. I do think controlling run off is important but I think it's taken a little too far at times.
IMG-5563.jpg

So this is just a giant pit for those not familiar that is then filled with stone aggregate and all water run off from impervious surfaces are piped to the pit to perk into the soil over time. So there is some math involved of looking at major rain events and the amount of volume you would need to be able to hold based on how well the soil absorbs the water.
IMG-5565.jpg

This shot then is after the pit has been filled in. Will pretty much just blend into yard some slope at the back side but not horrible.
IMG-5567.jpg

Then the house dig was started, house is a walk out as we are set on a hillside here. Lots of clay but less stone than I had expected the upper end of the property had a much greater concentration of shale.
IMG-5572.jpg

Then footers went in
IMG-5582.jpg

Working on forms for the wall today. I'm doing poured concrete walls.
IMG-5594.jpg

And in the shitty news department came up with a big goose egg killing ground hogs this morning.
66792018004--1FDACD60-A358-48BD-8AF8-3BC66F247367.jpg

That area I was watching for them is a current project of cleaning out brush that never seems to end. This particular area I'm working to clear this month to plant a pine grove stand. Payoff is going to take quite awhile but no time like the present to get the clock ticking. This entire area of steeper hillside is very dense brush I've had to clear by hand as slope is just too much for tractor. Been a major PITA but very happy with the progress on it. I just push my cut brush down into field and burn it.

IMG-5427.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Figure I'd start posting in this thread instead of home buying thread.

Starting to make some good progress on home.

First had to put main storm water pit in. Size of this thing is just ridiculous overkill, thanks EPA. Fun waste of money to make the govt happy. I do think controlling run off is important but I think it's taken a little too far at times.
View attachment 401204
So this is just a giant pit for those not familiar that is then filled with stone aggregate and all water run off from impervious surfaces are piped to the pit to perk into the soil over time. So there is some math involved of looking at major rain events and the amount of volume you would need to be able to hold based on how well the soil absorbs the water.
View attachment 401207

This shot then is after the pit has been filled in. Will pretty much just blend into yard some slope at the back side but not horrible.
View attachment 401211

Then the house dig was started, house is a walk out as we are set on a hillside here. Lots of clay but less stone than I had expected the upper end of the property had a much greater concentration of shale.
View attachment 401212

Then footers went in
View attachment 401213

Working on forms for the wall today. I'm doing poured concrete walls.
View attachment 401214

And in the shitty news department came up with a big goose egg killing ground hogs this morning.
View attachment 401215

That area I was watching for them is a current project of cleaning out brush that never seems to end. This particular area I'm working to clear this month to plant a pine grove stand. Payoff is going to take quite awhile but no time like the present to get the clock ticking. This entire area of steeper hillside is very dense brush I've had to clear by hand as slope is just too much for tractor. Been a major PITA but very happy with the progress on it. I just push my cut brush down into field and burn it.

View attachment 401217

Looking good, man. And wow! do you have a beautiful view around your house. I'm excited for you.

And yeah, spending big money to satisfy code people blows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking good, man. And wow! do you have a beautiful view around your house. I'm excited for you.

And yeah, spending big money to satisfy code people blows.
Thank you. Storm water management cost me about $40k in additional cost that just 10-15 years ago would not have existed at all. That is not even the only pit that I have to do but it is the bigger of the two, have to do another just to catch run off from the upper part of driveway that is about half the length.

Met Ed has me burying sch 80 pvc conduit (grey) which is about 100% more in cost than white. The only difference between the grey and white is that grey is resistant to UV...and we are burying it 3' in the ground. I could understand if they wanted the radius pipes at each end to be conduit but just more wasted money on pointless regulation. Conduit cost alone for me is about $4k.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The money hurts, but there's something satisfying about being in charge of big machinery doing big things. I also like buying stuff by the ton or the semi load for the same reason. You're spending money but at least you're getting a lot of something. The things I hate spending money on are like auto repairs where all you have to show for the money is getting back to what you had when you started.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wife and I have talked about doing a Youtube channel, I really feel I'm too introverted for that but there is definitely interest out there for the things we are going to be working on. To do it right, really adds time to projects setting up shots spending time video editing. Wife's tits could get me all the views needed to get it going, some of the homesteading channels that I like are just really bad at presentation and still end up with 15-20k subs. THe ones with a little more penchant for the medium seem to hit 100k and then that elite few that push to over a million. If I ever did do it would be with the goal of 15-20k and I honestly don't know at that size what it's even worth compared to what would need to be put into it.

I definitely would like to make some income off this homestead but still really fleshing out what different revenue streams I'm going to go after.

The money hurts, but there's something satisfying about being in charge of big machinery doing big things. I also like buying stuff by the ton or the semi load for the same reason. You're spending money but at least you're getting a lot of something. The things I hate spending money on are like auto repairs where all you have to show for the money is getting back to what you had when you started.

Yeah, the inflation has sucked but it also provides some solace in that I'm eager to turn cash into hard assets that are of value to me going forward.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Wife and I have talked about doing a Youtube channel, I really feel I'm too introverted for that but there is definitely interest out there for the things we are going to be working on. To do it right, really adds time to projects setting up shots spending time video editing. Wife's tits could get me all the views needed to get it going, some of the homesteading channels that I like are just really bad at presentation and still end up with 15-20k subs. THe ones with a little more penchant for the medium seem to hit 100k and then that elite few that push to over a million. If I ever did do it would be with the goal of 15-20k and I honestly don't know at that size what it's even worth compared to what would need to be put into it.

I definitely would like to make some income off this homestead but still really fleshing out what different revenue streams I'm going to go after.

Yeah, the inflation has sucked but it also provides some solace in that I'm eager to turn cash into hard assets that are of value to me going forward.

You should look at doing this. I know people who were just doing a general renovation and did a youtube thing and set up a go fund me. People are dumb enough to give money to watch you do things to your house. I've considered doing this myself, but meh. If you want some funding, you'll get it. It's crazy.