Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just bought this:
View attachment 404678

Got lucky even finding one for sale, getting equipment is still quite difficult. Also picked up
View attachment 404679

If you haven't already look into no till. Gabe Brown is a bit of a blowhard but he's got a number of really enlightening presentations on taking no till fairly big on his 5000 acre farm and the process working with animals ect.

With fertilizer and food issues incoming, I except "no till" will become a pretty mainstream term in the next decade or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you haven't already look into no till. Gabe Brown is a bit of a blowhard but he's got a number of really enlightening presentations on taking no till fairly big on his 5000 acre farm and the process working with animals ect.

With fertilizer and food issues incoming, I except "no till" will become a pretty mainstream term in the next decade or so.
I'll check him out but we are definitely going with no till.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
He said he lives in the middle of Phoenix. His neighbors are 100% going to complain, I would. I'm surprised we didn't get fined for our rooster before we got rid of him.
Neighbors didn't complain, probably due to being in a historic neighborhood filled with a bunch of people that have a lot of weird animals (and you're right, they most likely would have eventually since he was still young and hadn't gotten into full rooster asshole mode yet), but the rooster just dropped dead about 4 or 5 days after I posted. Was lining up a place for him to go with a local feed store but don't have to worry about that anymore. He's going to be fertilizer for summer melons now.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Today was a big day for me on the farm, I broke my first grease zerk . I'm happy to report I fixed it.

Got to use my seeder for the first time. I like being able to do some light cultivating with it in addition to seeding, also house framing has begun

• 3Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Congratulations. What did you plant and how much of it?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Decided to buy some land with my sister and kid...keep it in the family. Helps build credit for my kid, it's all gonna get passed down to her anyway because my sister won't have kids.

We find 80 acres of raw, unimproved land, with a river running down the middle of it. Said river is 20 feet across at the narrow spots, but shallow enough that I can see grass protruding from the ice in the middle of said river. RE agent said it's 8-10 feet at it's deepest. He said it used to be good for duck hunting, and the fishing isn't bad.

Said property is at the end of the road. And I mean...end. Off the paved road, not even gravel...just straight dirt road, packed hard by logging machinery. There's no reason to be down there. Electric poles across the street.

On the other side of the river 40 acres, it abuts 160 acres of state forest. So, literally, cross the river, and it's a 200 acre backyard.

I think we have found basically paradise. We log out some room for a cabin and a driveway, toss a wood stove in there, and we've got essentially unlimited hunting and fishing land. Go across the river, and there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to be over there. There's no property that can access that side of the river easily, and it's all state forest. So, again...toss a backwoods cabin over there and be away from everyone who ever existed.

When I retire, I can run power across the road and build my retirement home, and live out in the middle of fucking nowhere with relatively modern convenience.

It's $1500 an acre, and my sister just can't get behind it. It's unbelievable. She keeps pissing and moaning about buying 80 acres and only getting 40. No, you're paying for a third of it, so 27 acres, getting 40, and another 40 you CHOOSE not to use, attached to another 160 of free use. Apparently crossing a river is absolutely impossible and too much work. Nevermind this thing could literally be waded across at certain times of the year, it's frozen completely for 6 months of the year, and even when it's not, you can buy a fucking raft for $300 and go wherever you want.

I'm so fucking frustrated. "Building a bridge is gonna be a hassle!" Yeah, I'm sure it is. A lot of permits and shit. But not impossible. And to piss away raw, untouched land that's not swamp, on a road, with electricity across the street, with a source of fresh water running right thru the middle because you might have to get your shoes wet to see the other side is absolute insanity.

I really thought I was done dealing with crazy bitches after my divorce.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Personally I think you haven't even't hit the tip of the iceberg regardless of permits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Reducing the size of the corn/soy bean rotation field and changing over to pasture (Orchard Grass, Timothy, Alfalfa, White & Red Clover)
Good plan. The corn and bean rotation is slowly destroying your soil. Grazing it (if done correctly) will bring it back.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Decided to buy some land with my sister and kid...keep it in the family. Helps build credit for my kid, it's all gonna get passed down to her anyway because my sister won't have kids.

We find 80 acres of raw, unimproved land, with a river running down the middle of it. Said river is 20 feet across at the narrow spots, but shallow enough that I can see grass protruding from the ice in the middle of said river. RE agent said it's 8-10 feet at it's deepest. He said it used to be good for duck hunting, and the fishing isn't bad.

Said property is at the end of the road. And I mean...end. Off the paved road, not even gravel...just straight dirt road, packed hard by logging machinery. There's no reason to be down there. Electric poles across the street.

On the other side of the river 40 acres, it abuts 160 acres of state forest. So, literally, cross the river, and it's a 200 acre backyard.

I think we have found basically paradise. We log out some room for a cabin and a driveway, toss a wood stove in there, and we've got essentially unlimited hunting and fishing land. Go across the river, and there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to be over there. There's no property that can access that side of the river easily, and it's all state forest. So, again...toss a backwoods cabin over there and be away from everyone who ever existed.

When I retire, I can run power across the road and build my retirement home, and live out in the middle of fucking nowhere with relatively modern convenience.

It's $1500 an acre, and my sister just can't get behind it. It's unbelievable. She keeps pissing and moaning about buying 80 acres and only getting 40. No, you're paying for a third of it, so 27 acres, getting 40, and another 40 you CHOOSE not to use, attached to another 160 of free use. Apparently crossing a river is absolutely impossible and too much work. Nevermind this thing could literally be waded across at certain times of the year, it's frozen completely for 6 months of the year, and even when it's not, you can buy a fucking raft for $300 and go wherever you want.

I'm so fucking frustrated. "Building a bridge is gonna be a hassle!" Yeah, I'm sure it is. A lot of permits and shit. But not impossible. And to piss away raw, untouched land that's not swamp, on a road, with electricity across the street, with a source of fresh water running right thru the middle because you might have to get your shoes wet to see the other side is absolute insanity.

I really thought I was done dealing with crazy bitches after my divorce.
For a hunting/fishing property, it sounds pretty good. You can build two small tie-offs/docks, and a small shed on the road side (to secure a boat) to ferry over supplies on a jon boat.

For a property to live on, with modern amenities, I'm kinda leaning toward Borzak Borzak 's assessment; it sounds like it may be a money pit.

It may not be a swamp, but how much of it is a flood plain for those 50 and 100 year events? You will need a bridge that can handle big trucks, to get to the house build site for pretty much everything involved in a modern house build. You will need to pay an engineering firm to look at and plan to handle any high flow flood conditions (so the bridge doesn't wash out); which may be significantly longer than the current width of the stream.

If you are serious about the land, it may be worth it to pay the cost to have a local firm do a preliminary assessment and give an estimate of costs. Maybe a $30,000 bridge will be fine in that location, or maybe it is going to need a $100,000+ bridge; it's best to be informed beforehand and, if it's a low cost bridge, you may be able to get your sister on board.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
For a hunting/fishing property, it sounds pretty good. You can build two small tie-offs/docks, and a small shed on the road side (to secure a boat) to ferry over supplies on a jon boat.

For a property to live on, with modern amenities, I'm kinda leaning toward Borzak Borzak 's assessment; it sounds like it may be a money pit.

It may not be a swamp, but how much of it is a flood plain for those 50 and 100 year events? You will need a bridge that can handle big trucks, to get to the house build site for pretty much everything involved in a modern house build. You will need to pay an engineering firm to look at and plan to handle any high flow flood conditions (so the bridge doesn't wash out); which may be significantly longer than the current width of the stream.

If you are serious about the land, it may be worth it to pay the cost to have a local firm do a preliminary assessment and give an estimate of costs. Maybe a $30,000 bridge will be fine in that location, or maybe it is going to need a $100,000+ bridge; it's best to be informed beforehand and, if it's a low cost bridge, you may be able to get your sister on board.
River->Clean Water Act->EPA->NPDES permits->Engineering $$$$$. It can obviously be done in that I just did it, but it really is expensive and if you need your sister to be able to afford it then building on it is probably out of reach. At least if following the rules, if remote enough can always just roll the dice if you are just using cash.

Lots of people still think building is like it was in prior decades.
Capture.PNG

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
She backed out, so it's kind of irrelevant.

My plans didn't include "building" per se, just a small cabin with a wood stove to use as a basis for hunting/fishing. Long term would be a retirement place, but that's 20+ years down the line.

Now we see what the kid and I can scrounge up instead.

Borzak

I'll just say you don't know what you don't even know at this point. Research and guessing that research and advice is not going to come cheap.

Doesn't matter now that deal is off.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
We may need to turn this thread into the Equipment Anonymous thread.

Hi, my name is Blazin. I have an equipment purchasing problem.
lp10_bb1572_05.jpg

And of course I had to talk to them about getting into a bigger tractor:
Capture.PNG

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Not until you buy an augur for 4 fence post.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
We may need to turn this thread into the Equipment Anonymous thread.

Hi, my name is Blazin. I have an equipment purchasing problem.
View attachment 406955

And of course I had to talk to them about getting into a bigger tractor:
View attachment 406956
You and my dad should form a club. He's developing 120 acres in FL, just built a barn and is populating it with tractors.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
ok folks anyone got experience with chicken pluckers? We're 6 weeks from harvest day and starting to prepare.

I see lots of DIY plans online, a variety of designs. Anyone made or used a DIY chicken plucker?

I'm not opposed to buying one if thats the right way to go; we're raising at least 50 meat birds this year and we eat a lot of chicken, it may be worth the investment if thats necessary.