Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
kill cone plus slit and drain is the way

they are too dumb to know theyve been cut, but if you are chopping, a cone + sharp loppers is still the way to go. May have to rig up a system to keep the body in the cone though

and the only money in non-industrial chickens is free range meat
Fuck I don’t know if I have it in me for this..

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
kill cone plus slit and drain is the way

they are too dumb to know theyve been cut, but if you are chopping, a cone + sharp loppers is still the way to go. May have to rig up a system to keep the body in the cone though

and the only money in non-industrial chickens is free range meat
We tried the cone first. I'm serious, the bone chopper is like magic, I would never go back. It's like a cartoon, it's so clean.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Think I'm ready to give up on at least mini goats. even on a raised pallet tied to a posy. Too much thrashing to get so little milk in 15-30 minutes off one goat. Not sure if my fence and land would keep full size in well since these tiny Bayard cause enough damage.

PXL_20230429_000451688~3.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How much milk did you get from the miniature? I doubt a larger goat will really be much harder to deal with than the minis. My girlfriend was milking a La Mancha for a while and she was really not much trouble from what I could see.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

How much milk did you get from the miniature? I doubt a larger goat will really be much harder to deal with than the minis. My girlfriend was milking a La Mancha for a while and she was really not much trouble from what I could see.
Well after 15 minutes I only had like a cup. So it's the difficulty fighting. Wife got me to but this hand pump Miller meant for cows or goats. doesn't seem to work on minis, get it auctioned on but not really draining.

I think a full milk might get me 2-3 cups a goat, just never fought one long enough. But we just got a2bd kid and maybe this momma will work with me better.

The first baby won't get off of us, hoping she's an easy Miller since day.

FB_IMG_1682945998645.jpg

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well after 15 minutes I only had like a cup. So it's the difficulty fighting. Wife got me to but this hand pump Miller meant for cows or goats. doesn't seem to work on minis, get it auctioned on but not really draining.

I think a full milk might get me 2-3 cups a goat, just never fought one long enough. But we just got a2bd kid and maybe this momma will work with me better.

The first baby won't get off of us, hoping she's an easy Miller since day.

View attachment 471437
That face is awesome. Who says the Devil doesn't exist, that's the Devil face right there.

Sludig

That face is awesome. Who says the Devil doesn't exist, that's the Devil face right there.
I mean they certainly as adults invoke an out of control rage and id gladly strangulate them.

When food is around they get pushy to an extreme even if you kick them or an emu biting them. often leading to spilled feed when I try to fill their feeder. Love to ram thru light fence and tin walls

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean they certainly a adults invokean out of control rage and is gladly strangulate them.

When food is around they get pushy to an extreme even if you kick them or an emu biting them. often leading to spilled feed when I try to fill their feeder. Love to ram thru light fence and tin walls
Have you tried using it for baby goat yoga?

• 1Worf

Sludig

Have you tried using it for baby goat yoga?
I started throwing the month old baby today. it's aggressively trying to climb me and it's hooves hurt, tries to bite holes in my shorts for some reason now too.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Think I'm ready to give up on at least mini goats. even on a raised pallet tied to a posy. Too much thrashing to get so little milk in 15-30 minutes off one goat. Not sure if my fence and land would keep full size in well since these tiny Bayard cause enough damage.

View attachment 471318

You can do big goats, get woven wire and drop real posts with your t-posts. Also for feeding i'd just throw flakes of mixed hay in their pen or in a hay rack from outside their enclosure. Only time I direct feed the fuckers is when it's raining for multiple days and I have to get it into their shelters cause they're too prissy to go pasture feed in the rain.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Goats are the biggest pain in the ass to have on your farm, regardless of size. They are super needy, destroy anything they can, and make noise. Get sheep instead.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wives are the biggest pain in the ass to have on your farm, regardless of size. They are super needy, destroy anything they can, and make noise. Get a tinder account instead.
ftfy

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Goats are the biggest pain in the ass to have on your farm, regardless of size. They are super needy, destroy anything they can, and make noise. Get sheep instead.
This, all day.

I lived part of my childhood on a goat farm. There is a reason goats are associated with Satan.

Get anything but goats. Literally anything.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I have 10ish goats (no bucks fuck that) and it's ez pz with a good fence around their pasture. Not needy at all and don't make much noise (they are a couple acres from the house though). Daughter loves going in and hanging out with them.

All hate goats get is because people try to deal with bucks and breeding. If you want that you should rent/borrow a buck to throw in with the ladies for a couple weeks then get it the hell off your property. It's like that for most livestock though, horny bulls will push through fences to get to a fuck and rams will strait try to murder you.

• 1Like

Sludig

Can't remember which thread had someone talking up using pork shoulder pork for cheap meals. At only $2/lb I feel motivated to make it work. Be it in a slow cooker with brand or what

20230607_185501.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, I mean, probably better for the cooking thread. But there's tons of recipes for utilizing pork shoulder. My favorite is pulled pork. Serve it up straight with some bbq sauce on a bun. Put it in your baked beans. Use some of the fat you're undoubtedly going to have left over and make some carnitas.

Even if you have too much after cooking, it freezes up quite well.

• 1Like

Burns

Can't remember which thread had someone talking up using pork shoulder pork for cheap meals. At only $2/lb I feel motivated to make it work. Be it in a slow cooker with brand or what

View attachment 477185
As Deathwing said, pulled pork is super easy to make out of shoulder roasts.

I usually add some paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin to the following recipe. You can also use Ginger Ale or Dr. Pepper (never tried Dr. Pepper, but Ginger Ale worked just as well). You can freeze it before the BBQ goes on, and/or you can use it plain, then just add BBQ directly to the sandwich, if people like different sauces. I use a bottle of Stub's Original as the base, then Stub's Smokey Mesquite on the sandwich.

2023-06-08 17.08.21 spicysouthernkitchen.com f3de0c579796.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just say no to Dr. Pepper pulled pork. I like Dr. Pepper but that shit is vile.

• 1Solidarity