Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno if I could shoot a trapped one unless I was 100% certain he was the bastard that got my chicken the other week.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dunno if I could shoot a trapped one unless I was 100% certain he was the bastard that got my chicken the other week.
I've seen ones that are angry vile monsters that make it easy. This one was at the pond where the bodies were, but the shot one was actively in the coop area and coming back even after u spooked it is how I rationalized it.

if it was any younger I'd have perhaps tried figuring out how to cage it and work on taming.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm 100% in favor of popping wild animals that actively make a nuisance of themselves, just doesn't feel sporting to execute a bugger in a cage. But I just have one tiny little flock to defend rather than a full spread so maybe 'fair play' is just the luxury of a dilettante.

Then again I can't introduce new hens until the entire group ages out because of how aggressively they bully any new arrivals so maybe I should be more vengeful.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I catch and pop skunks all winter long, really no choice with as many of em try to get under the modular home on the other side of the property. I don't feel good about it, but I don't feel bad either.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I catch and pop skunks all winter long, really no choice with as many of em try to get under the modular home on the other side of the property. I don't feel good about it, but I don't feel bad either.
What's to feel bad. This isn't a fucking disney flick

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

What's to feel bad. This isn't a fucking disney flick
Animals mostly don't have ill will, I like animals more than people and would have a much easier time shooting a human prowler. Don't get me wrong, I'm pragmatic and will do what needs done as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

3rd one, this time I painted it in case they are coming back from a10 mile drive.

From weight, think I blasted a adult and trapped 2 youngsters.

Would be less aggravating if my young ducks, pellets and Tierney where not retarded and I didn't have to chase and fight getting them in the coop at bought to bock the door to be safe

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If I'm killing an animal I raised for food, I feel something very close to remorse. It takes an act of will to put it aside and deliberately harvest the animal. Quickly, humanely, hopefully painlessly.

If I'm killing a wild animal that has caused problems on my farm, I feel completely neutral about it. No regret, but I don't take pleasure in it. Its just a weed in your garden that needs to be pulled.

But I have to confess. If its a fucking gopher, I take an unhealthy amount of pleasure in shooting it in the head and have to kind of look at myself later and ask, are you sure you're not a fucking psychopath?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
But I have to confess. If its a fucking gopher, I take an unhealthy amount of pleasure in shooting it in the head and have to kind of look at myself later and ask, are you sure you're not a fucking psychopath?
20230615_223730279_iOS (2).jpg

I may not enjoy killing it but I sure am happy for everyone I get. Just happened to get one last night popping it's head out of it's hole, definitely prefer to drop them on the spot like this one. I may hate them but I don't usually fire unless I think I can get a quick kill hit. Feels like we are being overrun with them at times.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
For the people with gopher problems (apologies if this has been brought up before):

Shooting works, but it's time consuming and you're unlikely to get them all. A better method is granulated sulphur + a propane torch to smoke out their runs.

The method is this:

Find where their most recent digging activity is. Often times, they will leave a hole open if they've been working that day but aren't currently working. Use that open hole if so, but if not bring a trowel to open a hole that's at one end of their most recent series of mounds.

Take your trowel and put a scoopful of granulated sulphur into the open hole. If it's a dry time of year, I like to spray down the area around the hole with water first before the next step. A pump sprayer normally used for insecticide works, I'd advise against using one with herbicide in it due to the possibility of residue that will kill the grass you're spraying down. This all is to prevent a grass fire.

The next step is to light your propane torch and apply it into the hole and melt the granulated sulphur and spread the toxic smoke through their runs. Beware, this smoke is NASTY. If you get a good whiff of it you'll know it, but I don't think there's any ill effects of it getting on anything like your clothes other than the smell.

You'll know it's working if you start to see wisps of smoke going throughout the run of mounds. It will trickle out slowly and spread for quite a distance. Sometimes 20-40 feet if you're lucky. If you see smoke billowing out from anywhere, try to plug that hole so the smoke stays underground to do its job.

Once you've applied fire in this manner for a good bit, say 1-2 minutes, turn off the torch and cover the hole. Congrats! Whatever was in that section of gopher mounds and tunnels is now dead. If there are more tunnel runs that need to be hit, lather rinse and repeat.

Check the next day or to to make sure you got them all. If you haven't, there should be more activity. Begin the process again if you need to hit more gopher colonies.

I've found this to be the best process for gophers by far. It's extremely lethal and doesn't take much time, say 30-60 minutes from start to finish. More if you have a lot of runs to hit.
CAVEAT: this doesn't work on moles. They dig too fast and can cover up their tunnels before the smoke gets to them and kills them.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've heard of ways to poison them with CO2 as well with a similar method. We are currently under a fire ban but should try at some point. Prior to this spring I thought we had things well in hand, was only a handful still around. They sure did multiply quickly

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
I've heard of ways to poison them with CO2 as well with a similar method. We are currently under a fire ban but should try at some point. Prior to this spring I thought we had things well in hand, was only a handful still around. They sure did multiply quickly
Ideally you're not starting a fire with this method, but I'm not sure how draconian your local laws are on that. Typically the fire bans are due to air quality regs, so if you're not making significant amounts of smoke I would think you'd be good. But then again, who knows with Current Year.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Gopher Lives Matter!
#GLM

Burns

Ideally you're not starting a fire with this method, but I'm not sure how draconian your local laws are on that. Typically the fire bans are due to air quality regs, so if you're not making significant amounts of smoke I would think you'd be good. But then again, who knows with Current Year.
Wild fires in Texas and Oklahoma start from grass fires and burn huge swaths of land and houses. Last year seemed especially bad for it and everyone takes it seriously. I would assume there is a good chance that they will spend the resources to trace the fire's starting point, if there are any deaths.

Two of the dumbest wildfires last year were due to a controlled burn getting out of hand. Both ended up burning more than 800 acers and involving 200+ firefighters for each, as well as air support, and all the costs that come along with that.

The worst fire last year, was the Eastland Complex fires which destroyed most of the little town of Carbon, Texas. In total, it burned 86 houses and 54,000 acres. The fire services were extremely stressed, because it was not the only wildfire going on at that time.

P.S. Suffocating them with sulfur is a neat solution to the problem, though. Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air, so I wonder if the ol' garden hose in the tail pipe would work.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

My grandfather was a cattle rancher and he used to plug up all the burrow entrances he could find, except one, and then hook that up to his truck exhaust for an hour or so. Anything that tried to run got shot or chased down by the dog.

Lightning Fast
Wild fires in Texas and Oklahoma start from grass fires and burn huge swaths of land and houses. Last year seemed especially bad for it and everyone takes it seriously. I would assume there is a good chance that they will spend the resources to trace the fire's starting point, if there are any deaths.

Two of the dumbest wildfires last year were due to a controlled burn getting out of hand. Both ended up burning more than 800 acers and involving 200+ firefighters for each, as well as air support, and all the costs that come along with that.

The worst fire last year, was the Eastland Complex fires which destroyed most of the little town of Carbon, Texas. In total, it burned 86 houses and 54,000 acres. The fire services were extremely stressed, because it was not the only wildfire going on at that time.

P.S. Suffocating them with sulfur is a neat solution to the problem, though. Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air, so I wonder if the ol' garden hose in the tail pipe would work.
Hence the 'wet down the area around the hole with water' step. Obviously clear any loose or dry grass from the area. Don't do it in high winds. If you do get some ignition, put it out with your foot or the water pump sprayer.

Common sense stuff, I would think. Fire goes in the hole, not the grass.

• 1Like

Burns

Hence the 'wet down the area around the hole with water' step. Obviously clear any loose or dry grass from the area. Don't do it in high winds. If you do get some ignition, put it out with your foot or the water pump sprayer.

Common sense stuff, I would think. Fire goes in the hole, not the grass.
Sure, but I am paranoid of getting sued, so it's always why take the chance when they specifically say your banned from burning shit. It always feels like there is some small chance that I could roll a 1 and everything goes catastrophically wrong.

Lightning Fast
Sure, but I am paranoid of getting sued, so it's always why take the chance when they specifically say your banned from burning shit. It always feels like there is some small chance that I could roll a 1 and everything goes catastrophically wrong.
Nothing personal, but I think those regs are around due to all the morons out there who don't take precautions and don't think about things like loose grass or high winds. It's making the competent handicapped by the stupid.

But I'm a red ass on that kind of thing, so *shrug*

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Nothing personal, but I think those regs are around due to all the morons out there who don't take precautions and don't think about things like loose grass or high winds. It's making the competent handicapped by the stupid.

But I'm a red ass on that kind of thing, so *shrug*
harryday1-2x.jpg

• 1Like