Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I received quote from dealer going to go look at some equipment next week to make a final decision.

As far as HST whine my first tractor was really bad , that was a TYM (RK) the L6060 it is much much less. I wonder if it's an issue with the smaller utility tractors. I have never researched it as far as what causes HST to sometimes do that

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I received quote from dealer going to go look at some equipment next week to make a final decision.

As far as HST whine my first tractor was really bad , that was a TYM (RK) the L6060 it is much much less. I wonder if it's an issue with the smaller utility tractors. I have never researched it as far as what causes HST to sometimes do that
If you consider my L3902 a smaller utility tractor then yes it is. It’s just the nature of HST trannies. It’s fine though, I just put noise canceling earbuds on and listen to podcasts. Then again I’ve never run any other tractor so at this point I don’t know what I’m missing by not having to listen to HST whine and it’s probably best to keep it that way.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
with the canam I run over 10 ft tall brush with zero concern due to skid plates under it.

Be sure and take those skid plates off once in a while and make sure leaves and twigs and shit aren't building up on top of them. Don't ask me how I know.

IMG_20200914_131840.jpg

• 1Wow!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Be sure and take those skid plates off once in a while and make sure leaves and twigs and shit aren't building up on top of them. Don't ask me how I know.

Holy hell wow. I heard the defender max had some fire issues. Makes sense… I’ll service it sometime this month.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone’s chickens ever had mites or lice? Noticed my rooster had a sore on his comb. Sprayed it with vetercyn and noticed small black dots on it… Also noticed a few of my other birds missing feathers, notable one all on her head. At first glance I thought she was malting because she was also missing feathers on wing. I don’t think so now. Tried to look on her for mites last night but it’s hard to hold a flashlight in one hand and dig through feathers…

Ordered poultry dust with permethrin and also durvet 10% permethrin concentrate. Gonna dust the birds tonight and then when I get time on Saturday I’ll completely remove all bedding from coop and spray everything down with durvet permethrin mix. Any suggestions appreciated.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone’s chickens ever had mites or lice? Noticed my rooster had a sore on his comb. Sprayed it with vetercyn and noticed small black dots on it… Also noticed a few of my other birds missing feathers, notable one all on her head. At first glance I thought she was malting because she was also missing feathers on wing. I don’t think so now. Tried to look on her for mites last night but it’s hard to hold a flashlight in one hand and dig through feathers…

Ordered poultry dust with permethrin and also durvet 10% permethrin concentrate. Gonna dust the birds tonight and then when I get time on Saturday I’ll completely remove all bedding from coop and spray everything down with durvet permethrin mix. Any suggestions appreciated.
What wanton said, I put DE in the bedding and I rub it into their roost bar. They also should have access to a good dust bath at all times which should also have some DE in it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Diatomaceous earth on the floor.

What wanton said, I put DE in the bedding and I rub it into their roost bar. They also should have access to a good dust bath at all times which should also have some DE in it.
I’d have thought DE wouldn’t be the best for chickens respiratory system? I’ve used it for ants before and know it’s definitely recommended to wear a mask when applying. I’d think chickens dust bathing would stir it up and they’d breathe it in. No concern?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I’d have thought DE wouldn’t be the best for chickens respiratory system? I’ve used it for ants before and know it’s definitely recommended to wear a mask when applying. I’d think chickens dust bathing would stir it up and they’d breathe it in. No concern?
I have no concerns about that , but do need to make sure it's food grade DE not the stuff meant for a pool

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been battling a feather mite since the fall. None visible other than the feather loss but can see some egg/whatever build up at roots of feathers. Coop is all hay and a bitch to completely remove and clean but it's on the to do now that winter is over. I have the most retarded chickens that most dont roost but instead all cluster together in the corner on a poop pile >.<

So far is only 3 of my RIR with them, but recently now a couple barred rock have naked butts from it. Been dusting them liberally with permrethin dust but doesn't seem to help. Going to use DE liberally when I get it cleared out.

I like the idea that some do of sand, though I'd worry about just how easy that actually is to clean and not loose too much sand. Plan for the summer is suck it up and do the big $8 bales of wood chip bedding that hopefully is easier to scoop out and replace. The straw sucks for not being easily scoopabl3e and almost needs a fork + shovel combo. I just wish I could like scalding bleach water pressure wash everything. Have the pressure washer but no way to not either gas myself or get anything near hot enough more than maybe taking a few hot pots and pouring over a few of the main roosting areas.

SO far much happier getting rid of all the turkeys but one who's started laying and the ducks/asshole chinese male goose that lived among them. My sebastopols just started laying and looks like fertile eggs are like 20-40 a pop. Got the first batch in the incubator and candling them wednesday. Not sure how to balance my incubator space and wanting to hatch some out vs selling. Get one every other to 3rd day.
Have an extra male I had to seperate due to fucking w/ the other male and plucking feathers, but can't find an available female anywhere. Heck even a non sebastolpol would be fine, but rural bumfuck is nothing but chickens guineas (why???) and muscovy ducks primarily.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have done chips and straw as bedding and it doesn't seem to make a ton of difference, I have stuck with straw just because I have as much as I need and one less thing to buy. Both seemed to be about the same difficulty cleaning out and about the same as far as dust.

The floor of my coop is concrete and I built the walls out of Vinyl and FRP so it can all be occasionally washed down and less issue with the grossness getting imbedded into wood.

Pics from back when I was building it.
20220913_150317712_iOS.jpg
20220913_150303466_iOS.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have done chips and straw as bedding and it doesn't seem to make a ton of difference, I have stuck with straw just because I have as much as I need and one less thing to buy. Both seemed to be about the same difficulty cleaning out and about the same as far as dust.

The floor of my coop is concrete and I built the walls out of Vinyl and FRP so it can all be occasionally washed down and less issue with the grossness getting imbedded into wood.

View attachment 517902View attachment 517903
I have definitely never seen a chicken house with trim before.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 517902View attachment 517903
Sigh, and I thought my coop was gucci. Man has a poured slab for his chickens! I see that exhaust vent, I need to install one before summer..

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever tried hugelkultur? I'm planting a raspberry patch this spring and I think I might give it a try.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Started seeding yesterday, our weather has been in the 70s which is well above average for March. Normally want ground temps in the mid 50s , we have been very wet for weeks we finally had some drying out and so I'm taking the gamble. Early not usually a problem unless it starts to come up then we get hit below average temps.

I always have an appreciation for what real farmers go through with the money that is on the line on these particular days you decide to take action, each time I'm dumping a 50lb bag into the hopper at $200 a pop you can't help but think of the guy down the street putting down $20k in seed that day.

I'm seeding Orchard grass for the first time and man the seeds are small making getting seeding rate set a little more difficult but at least the big boys are just punching it in on a screen. Orchard grass is a premium, seeding it into aging alfalfa stand. Our excess alfalfa hay is sold to horse farmers so I'm trying to do the right thing there but it wouldn't be my first choice.

IMG_8442.jpg
IMG_8441.jpg

Puppy is really growing fast, she is with me pretty much all day everyday. Doing well with the goats, forgot how hard a puppy can be when you haven't done it in so long but it's getting easier.
unnamed (1).jpg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shitty day spring cleaning chicken coop. one refused to stay out because I was spreading bug killer, kept chasing it. tried blocking the chicken door a few times but nothing fit well. Finally got a cinder block like i usually use from the outside to keep them in. fucker did a dive thru it getting stuck legs out head out the other end and it rocked over and fell on its head. so I turn around to it flopping in this brick only tail visible. Righted it and was immediately apparent that it was fucked.
So impromptu butchering and got the egg it wanted to lay so bad the others just go in a box outside... Aggravating part is instead of a old hen this was a younger $20 layer

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users