Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Chickens gonna chicken. <insert Werner Herzog chicken video here>

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Shitty day spring cleaning chicken coop. one refused to stay out because I was spreading bug killer, kept chasing it. tried blocking the chicken door a few times but nothing fit well. Finally got a cinder block like i usually use from the outside to keep them in. fucker did a dive thru it getting stuck legs out head out the other end and it rocked over and fell on its head. so I turn around to it flopping in this brick only tail visible. Righted it and was immediately apparent that it was fucked.
So impromptu butchering and got the egg it wanted to lay so bad the others just go in a box outside... Aggravating part is instead of a old hen this was a younger $20 layer
reminds me of

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever tried hugelkultur? I'm planting a raspberry patch this spring and I think I might give it a try.

Nope. It’s talked a lot about in the permaculture community. Seems to be a lot of trial and error. Successes and failures. Dive into permaculture, maybe give it a try and report back.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Started seeding yesterday, our weather has been in the 70s which is well above average for March. Normally want ground temps in the mid 50s , we have been very wet for weeks we finally had some drying out and so I'm taking the gamble. Early not usually a problem unless it starts to come up then we get hit below average temps.

I always have an appreciation for what real farmers go through with the money that is on the line on these particular days you decide to take action, each time I'm dumping a 50lb bag into the hopper at $200 a pop you can't help but think of the guy down the street putting down $20k in seed that day.

I'm seeding Orchard grass for the first time and man the seeds are small making getting seeding rate set a little more difficult but at least the big boys are just punching it in on a screen. Orchard grass is a premium, seeding it into aging alfalfa stand. Our excess alfalfa hay is sold to horse farmers so I'm trying to do the right thing there but it wouldn't be my first choice.

View attachment 519907View attachment 519908

Puppy is really growing fast, she is with me pretty much all day everyday. Doing well with the goats, forgot how hard a puppy can be when you haven't done it in so long but it's getting easier.
View attachment 519909
Bota lookin great B!

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shitty day spring cleaning chicken coop. one refused to stay out because I was spreading bug killer, kept chasing it. tried blocking the chicken door a few times but nothing fit well. Finally got a cinder block like i usually use from the outside to keep them in. fucker did a dive thru it getting stuck legs out head out the other end and it rocked over and fell on its head. so I turn around to it flopping in this brick only tail visible. Righted it and was immediately apparent that it was fucked.
So impromptu butchering and got the egg it wanted to lay so bad the others just go in a box outside... Aggravating part is instead of a old hen this was a younger $20 layer
In the future I recommend against trying to block a hole with another hole. Not that I'm really giving you shit because nobody can ever really understand just how stupid chickens are no matter how long you've kept them. None of mine have managed to stupid themselves to death yet but not for lack of trying. I actually do have a cinderblock in their run that i set a water can on and it's set with the holes facing sideways, after reading your story I'm thinking I may go out there and flip it so the holes are facing up and down instead.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Got a new toy.

430808966_1118311719504252_8444615222801424779_n.jpg

I have a lot of gravel to haul this summer and I think this thing is going to make it a lot easier.

• 6Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every time I kinda look at trailors, I realize I'm better off renting one a dozen times.

Part of me says buy something and sell when done, but I know it wouldn't happen or I'd be stuck needing a different type of trailer at some point.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've got a couple of utility trailers and one cargo trailer. Guy I used to do a lot of work for owned a steel fab business. Guy died on site due to his own stupidity so they shifted to making trialers. It became much much more sucessful for them. They get advertising from having built the trailer they haul Mike the Tiger in and out of the stadium at LSU football games. Kinda scary part is a fair number of the guys who work for them are on work release from jail or whatever in a work program. But tacking and welding is not exactly rocket science and guessing a fair number of them worked in a shop somewhere before.

A lot of people I'm guessing don't have a place to keep an extra trailer handy that they don't use that often.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've got a couple of utility trailers and one cargo trailer. Guy I used to do a lot of work for owned a steel fab business. Guy died on site due to his own stupidity so they shifted to making trialers. It became much much more sucessful for them. They get advertising from having built the trailer they haul Mike the Tiger in and out of the stadium at LSU football games. Kinda scary part is a fair number of the guys who work for them are on work release from jail or whatever in a work program. But tacking and welding is not exactly rocket science and guessing a fair number of them worked in a shop somewhere before.

A lot of people I'm guessing don't have a place to keep an extra trailer handy that they don't use that often.
Trailerception. Get a trailer. Get a bigger trailer to put your trailer in. Get a bigger trailer to put that one in, ad nauseum.

• 1Mother of God

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My trailer empire is now a 24 foot gooseneck cattle/stock trailer, a 20 foot gooseneck cattle/stock trailer, a 24 foot gooseneck flatbed, a 22 foot bumper hitch tilt car hauler, and now the 14 foot dump trailer. The dump trailer is replacing a 1981 dump truck that the hoist has gotten so weak that it can't dump much gravel anymore. My brother and I spent a couple hours shoveling dirt out of that POS last fall because it wouldn't dump which led directly to the purchase of this trailer. A nice plus of the dump trailer is that you can load the skid steer in it to get it out to the gravel pit/dirt pile/etc.

I drove 4 hours to get to a dealership for Diamond C. This is by far the best built trailer I have. I was looking at a PJ which is what my flatbeds are and there is just no comparison. At some point I would like to upgrade the 24 foot flatbed as we are hauling more weight than it's rated for pretty often and I will definitely be looking at a Diamond C for that as well.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Got a new toy.

View attachment 520747

I have a lot of gravel to haul this summer and I think this thing is going to make it a lot easier.

That's a great trailer,, I would love to have this. I keep thinking about wanting material bunkers, but a really good trailer would reduce the need for them. I'm always paranoid about tri axels on my asphalt. It's a really firm driveway but a triaxle loaded with stone on a summer day can be a recipe for expensive damage. Just add it to the list I guess.

Grats on the new toy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

That's a great trailer,, I would love to have this. I keep thinking about wanting material bunkers, but a really good trailer would reduce the need for them. I'm always paranoid about tri axels on my asphalt. It's a really firm driveway but a triaxle loaded with stone on a summer day can be a recipe for expensive damage. Just add it to the list I guess.

Grats on the new toy.
What’s wrong with triple axle trailers on asphalt?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
View attachment 520866

This is a triaxle. Looking at near 40 tons fully loaded
Oooooo. Yeah. I brought in about 40 truckloads of fill dirt early last year to remediate hurricane damage from 2022. Neighbors thought I was building a highway. Thankfully my driveway was dirt so nothing harmed..

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My 16x32 tuff shed premier pro tall barn is almost done with initial permitting approval. Next I will need to do the site prep as the place it’s going is about an 8 degree decline with a total of 11” drop across 16’ side (I need to recheck these numbers, going from memory).

Did a bunch of research and I think using 6x6 GC PT wood, using deadmen, and making total frame 18x34’ is the way to go. Will use weed mat and compacted gravel. Similar to these guys How to Build a Gravel Shed Foundation - The Complete Guide.

Unfortunately the guys I just linked aren’t in Florida. I can’t find anyone in Florida that does work like this or at least advertises it. I’m sure they exist but I just can’t find them. I’m thinking I’ll have to do the work myself… Hopefully the tractor should help with grade.

The door and 6’ wide ramp to the shed will not be on the uphill or downhill side but instead perpendicular to the slope, yes I know this isn’t ideal..

I’m debating which approach to take here for the wood perimeter - build up, dig out or mix. 11” drop over 16’ makes me think build up and use deadmen to stabilize. Any thoughts?

build up
IMG_6432.jpeg

Dig out
IMG_6433.jpeg

Mix
IMG_6434.jpeg

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My 16x32 tuff shed premier pro tall barn is almost done with initial permitting approval. Next I will need to do the site prep as the place it’s going is about an 8 degree decline with a total of 11” drop across 16’ side (I need to recheck these numbers, going from memory).

Did a bunch of research and I think using 6x6 GC PT wood, using deadmen, and making total frame 18x34’ is the way to go. Will use weed mat and compacted gravel. Similar to these guys How to Build a Gravel Shed Foundation - The Complete Guide.

Unfortunately the guys I just linked aren’t in Florida. I can’t find anyone in Florida that does work like this or at least advertises it. I’m sure they exist but I just can’t find them. I’m thinking I’ll have to do the work myself… Hopefully the tractor should help with grade.

The door and 6’ wide ramp to the shed will not be on the uphill or downhill side but instead perpendicular to the slope, yes I know this isn’t ideal..

I’m debating which approach to take here for the wood perimeter - build up, dig out or mix. 11” drop over 16’ makes me think build up and use deadmen to stabilize. Any thoughts?

build up
View attachment 521237
Dig out
View attachment 521238
MixView attachment 521239
Not being coy but you should do it yourself, especially if it intimidates you. I know we are all too manly to admit that some projects seem out of our wheelhouse but you have a tractor it's just work and part of the 'lifestyle' is getting out of your comfort zone and learning new skills. A lot of pride in a project you do the work on, even if its not perfect. Though it sounds like you are buying this building, you should have built that to. I realize not everyone has the time but you seem to want to pursue homesteading then it's time to get dirty and stop thinking like a rich person.

As far as the grading half and half is always going to be least work but does this have a larger door on the narrow side? This question should always be answered by how you are using the building and how you are approaching (ingress/egress) the building. You want to the approach to the building to be as level as possible. If the first pic is the only door to the right then a build up is how I personally would do it because I want keep it dry as possible and elevated is better for that purpose. THis building isn't big enough that it is goig to make any dramatic difference in the amount of stone. If you are running electric to the building don't forget to get this stubbed in early so you can have a conduit coming up inside the building.

This is exact size and type of project where maybe renting a skid steer for a week is the correct way to get it done, again especially if you havent run a skid steer. Perfect opportunity for a new experience where again there isn't much way to fuck it up. Skid steer makes the ground work easy, the fill easy, and you can move the timbers with it chaining off bucket. Plenty of resources out there to show the appropriate way to build up a retaining wall. I would drill and pound rebar through the timbers.

Plus when it's done you can convince yourself its totally justified to buy a new Kubota SVL 75 (which is the appropriate way to flex your wealth, not on contractors)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Not being coy but you should do it yourself, especially if it intimidates you. I know we are all too manly to admit that some projects seem out of our wheelhouse but you have a tractor it's just work and part of the 'lifestyle' is getting out of your comfort zone and learning new skills. A lot of pride in a project you do the work on, even if its not perfect. Though it sounds like you are buying this building, you should have built that to. I realize not everyone has the time but you seem to want to pursue homesteading then it's time to get dirty and stop thinking like a rich person.

As far as the grading half and half is always going to be least work but does this have a larger door on the narrow side? This question should always be answered by how you are using the building and how you are approaching (ingress/egress) the building. You want to the approach to the building to be as level as possible. If the first pic is the only door to the right then a build up is how I personally would do it because I want keep it dry as possible and elevated is better for that purpose. THis building isn't big enough that it is goig to make any dramatic difference in the amount of stone. If you are running electric to the building don't forget to get this stubbed in early so you can have a conduit coming up inside the building.

This is exact size and type of project where maybe renting a skid steer for a week is the correct way to get it done, again especially if you havent run a skid steer. Perfect opportunity for a new experience where again there isn't much way to fuck it up. Skid steer makes the ground work easy, the fill easy, and you can move the timbers with it chaining off bucket. Plenty of resources out there to show the appropriate way to build up a retaining wall. I would drill and pound rebar through the timbers.

Plus when it's done you can convince yourself its totally justified to buy a new Kubota SVL 75 (which is the appropriate way to flex your wealth, not on contractors)
Yeah I know I should have built it myself. I’m just absolutely exhausted. Working 10-12 hour days for work the past 3-4 months. Constantly pushing back my vacations around work schedule, etc. Will have a new job later this year so that should change.

I agree I should do this myself. I really wish I had friends in the homesteading lifestyle that could help me and I them.. My land just isn’t in a rural area for that type of community unfortunately 😔. My only hesitation is the aforementioned absolute exhaustion I have from my job.. I’m taking a vacation in two weeks and hoping that will give some reprieve. Over the vacation I think I will draw out the design and begin site prep..

The larger door will be on the narrow side which is perpendicular to the slope - I know not ideal but I’m thinking just grade out in front of it and do the same kinda thing - use 6x6s to create a level area up to ramp..

Yes! Thank you for mentioning electrical because that is currently my biggest open question in my planning… I will be running 2” conduit to it with 220v and a panel on the outside. How should I plan for this if I need to compact the gravel prior to tuff shed showing up and doing the onsite build? Like you said, I can stub it - I’m just concerned about tolerance and getting it exactly aligned with the building before the building is actually up. I guess just stub it the best I can calculating exactly where the wall will be?

I’ve ran skid steers before. I hate the local ones I can rent, old, beat up and barely work.. I know a guy who runs a company that goes into subdivisions and does all the plumbing and piping of sewage, electric, etc so he owns an SVL 65 and 97. I’ve used him in the past to pick up side projects for me before I had the tractor. I was thinking of maybe bringing in his dad (guy loves doing these sorts of projects) as a second hand in helping me do this which would also give me access to his skid steers. His dad does amazing woodwork, real good ole boy, the kind that harvested and milled his own wood to build his house…

edit - building for reference
IMG_6439.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I know I should have built it myself. I’m just absolutely exhausted. Working 10-12 hour days for work the past 3-4 months. Constantly pushing back my vacations around work schedule, etc. Will have a new job later this year so that should change.

I agree I should do this myself. I really wish I had friends in the homesteading lifestyle that could help me and I them.. My land just isn’t in a rural area for that type of community unfortunately 😔. My only hesitation is the aforementioned absolute exhaustion I have from my job.. I’m taking a vacation in two weeks and hoping that will give some reprieve. Over the vacation I think I will draw out the design and begin site prep..

The larger door will be on the narrow side which is perpendicular to the slope - I know not ideal but I’m thinking just grade out in front of it and do the same kinda thing - use 6x6s to create a level area up to ramp..

Yes! Thank you for mentioning electrical because that is currently my biggest open question in my planning… I will be running 2” conduit to it with 220v and a panel on the outside. How should I plan for this if I need to compact the gravel prior to tuff shed showing up and doing the onsite build? Like you said, I can stub it - I’m just concerned about tolerance and getting it exactly aligned with the building before the building is actually up. I guess just stub it the best I can calculating exactly where the wall will be?

I’ve ran skid steers before. I hate the local ones I can rent, old, beat up and barely work.. I know a guy who runs a company that goes into subdivisions and does all the plumbing and piping of sewage, electric, etc so he owns an SVL 65 and 97. I’ve used him in the past to pick up side projects for me before I had the tractor. I was thinking of maybe bringing in his dad (guy loves doing these sorts of projects) as a second hand in helping me do this which would also give me access to his skid steers. His dad does amazing woodwork, real good ole boy, the kind that harvested and milled his own wood to build his house…
Blazin Blazin what if I stubbed where the electrical conduit would be with corruagated drain pipe with 2” conduit inside. This way once build is done I have more tolerance to move the conduit 10-18” to adjust to align with building. Once it’s aligned just fill the corrugated drain pipe with rock?

edit - I think the drain pipe would need holes in it so when it rains it doesn’t fill up with water and back up. Wondering if there’s a more “skeletonized” pipe to use here.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Blazin Blazin what if I stubbed where the electrical conduit would be with corruagated drain pipe with 2” conduit inside. This way once build is done I have more tolerance to move the conduit 10-18” to adjust to align with building. Once it’s aligned just fill the corrugated drain pipe with rock?

edit - I think the drain pipe would need holes in it so when it rains it doesn’t fill up with water and back up. Wondering if there’s a more “skeletonized” pipe to use here.

I would not do this. You just need to get it at close as possible, account for the thickness of the wall. If they are building the shed in place then they can make it work as long as it's close to where it needs to be. With a little measuring you should be able to get mark out the exact building location.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
God damn dandelions. My front yard has them bad this year. Barely made a dent after 2 packed down 5g buckets.

Not sure what I can read them with because as is typical for the rural area my lawn is a mix of grass but also large areas of clover or other plants I don't know the name of, but I suspect would die out from a carpet bombing.

I need to seed a few areas as well, and my concern is 2-4d it something that kills broad leaf I think will also kill new grass?