Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sure did. It wasn't quite as impressive a massacre as the one in the chicken house but none of them got to eat chicken again.

tenor.gif

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Deer season is upon us, and I have a spot where they bed down. I've checked the last four mornings, and never seen less than 10 deer each morning. I'm getting a tag, so is my wife, and so is one of my daughters who expressed an interest in doing this for the first time. I've already got one with my bow, and we're going to get at least three more. Venison aplenty for the year, and I love it!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Well I spoke too soon. I checked my emu's nest today to see if they laid another egg and something raided it and broke/ate the three eggs they had in there. Not like I can lock the emus up so unfortunately I'm gonna have to cull whatever is responsible. Most likely raccoons. oh well. Wish the Emus themselves would of handled it, but they really only get super protective of the chicks and kind of ignore their nests until they are filled and ready to brood them.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bumping this thread because even though I'm not a hobby farmer, we're trying something new that is starting out as a hobby and I hope might turn into a business down the line.

We just got our hands on 3 Mangalitsa pigs. If you haven't heard of them, they are referred to as "the kobe beef of pork".

They are a Hungarian heritage breed that are known for being hardy in cold weather and producing a lot of fat, including intramuscular fat (marbling), which has been bred out of most modern hogs in the retarded quest to become "the other white meat". The plan is to raise them on pasture (with supplemental grain). We got two males and a female. The two males we're going to fatten up and eat (one for us and one for a friend). The female we might eat or if we decide to go forward we may breed her. I have never actually eaten this pork and we haven't raised pigs in many years and never pasture pigs so it's all going to be kind of an experiment. We had to pay $300 per piglet so selling the meat for a profit probably isn't realistic with that much into them from day 1. We will have to breed sows and raise the piglets ourselves to make it into a business but for now it's just something interesting to do. They are in an electric fence inside the barn at the moment to learn how electric fences work but as soon as we feel that they're trained to the fence we will get them outdoors.

Shitty light in the barn so I couldn't get a good picture but you can google it if you're interested. Some of them are pretty wacky looking.

186234112_886080931969631_5503392799975521370_n.jpg

183132127_489450562292835_2320266650789784328_n.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

Bumping this thread because even though I'm not a hobby farmer, we're trying something new that is starting out as a hobby and I hope might turn into a business down the line.

We just got our hands on 3 Mangalitsa pigs. If you haven't heard of them, they are referred to as "the kobe beef of pork".

how much more work are they over normal pigs?

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

They are a Hungarian heritage breed that are known for being hardy in cold weather and producing a lot of fat, including intramuscular fat (marbling), which has been bred out of most modern hogs in the retarded quest to become "the other white meat". The plan is to raise them on pasture (with supplemental grain). We got two males and a female. The two males we're going to fatten up and eat (one for us and one for a friend). The female we might eat or if we decide to go forward we may breed her. I have never actually eaten this pork and we haven't raised pigs in many years and never pasture pigs so it's all going to be kind of an experiment. We had to pay $300 per piglet so selling the meat for a profit probably isn't realistic with that much into them from day 1. We will have to breed sows and raise the piglets ourselves to make it into a business but for now it's just something interesting to do. They are in an electric fence inside the barn at the moment to learn how electric fences work but as soon as we feel that they're trained to the fence we will get them outdoors.

Shitty light in the barn so I couldn't get a good picture but you can google it if you're interested. Some of them are pretty wacky looking.

View attachment 354603

View attachment 354604

It will be interesting when you harvest one. Cook some up along side "standard" pork and see if it's all worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
how much more work are they over normal pigs?
Not really more work, but they take longer to get to butcher size. I've been told about 14 months of age is when they can be slaughtered.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Not really more work, but they take longer to get to butcher size. I've been told about 14 months of age is when they can be slaughtered.

So they're expensive to buy, expensive to raise. Hope they taste amazing. Please report back, I'm seriously interested in this.

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
They're popular in the UK for people with small holdings, supposedly they're good natured as pigs go, so aren't a pain in the arse for non-farmers. Plus they look funny

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Public service announcement:

Never refer to your farm as a "hobby"

Thanks for your attention

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Shit, does that mean it's supposed to make money?

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You are supposed to TRY to make money, yes

Referring to it as a hobby indicates pleasure, no profit motive, etc.

It's a 183 fucking waiting to happen.

Just don't do it

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You are supposed to TRY to make money, yes

Referring to it as a hobby indicates pleasure, no profit motive, etc.

It's a 183 fucking waiting to happen.

Just don't do it

We are trying to make money, but realistically, if the goal was maximizing income we wouldn't be doing it. I could make more money by just selling the land and investing the money in index funds. I could probably lease it out for $100K+ a year and then go work as an engineer for another $100K which would be way, way more than I draw on the business currently. It's not a hobby, but it's a lifestyle choice more than a profit generator so it would be fair to say that I'm prioritizing pleasure over profit. Of course the day before yesterday when I was out in the sun digging a post hole by hand through packed gumbo and rocks the pleasurable part was harder to appreciate.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
We are trying to make money, but realistically, if the goal was maximizing income we wouldn't be doing it. I could make more money by just selling the land and investing the money in index funds. I could probably lease it out for $100K+ a year and then go work as an engineer for another $100K which would be way, way more than I draw on the business currently. It's not a hobby, but it's a lifestyle choice more than a profit generator so it would be fair to say that I'm prioritizing pleasure over profit. Of course the day before yesterday when I was out in the sun digging a post hole by hand through packed gumbo and rocks the pleasurable part was harder to appreciate.

Let me know how the audit turns out.

For all the not fucking retards, expunge "hobby" and "pleasure" from your "farming" vocabulary.

• 1Salty

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
So you think the IRS is going to come for me because I'm joking about how my ranch isn't very profitable on the internet? Don't you have something more important to worry about?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So you think the IRS is going to come for me because I'm joking about how my ranch isn't very profitable on the internet? Don't you have something more important to worry about?

No, I think normalizing farming as a "hobby" might fuck over someone in our community.

You fucking mouth breathing piece of shit

• 1Worf
  • 1Clown World
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Well thanks for brightening the thread with this irrelevant nonsense and seasoning it with nerd rage.

• 1Worf