Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Disc, then harrow is the best way to clear it out.

Could just mow it once a week, that should kill most of that shit in a year or so.

I really try to avoid chemicals.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
So I have an area next to my house that has 4-6 palm trees (maybe dwarf palmettos, only like 15 ft high max). Maybe 20x20 area.

I cleaned up around them a year ago. Cut down some trees in the small area. Just tried tordon on the tree stumps (hopefully it won’t kill the palms due to proximity.)

However I have lots of little uhh trees(?) or weeds(?) that shoot up in this little area that I use my stihl fs 560 to mow down every 4-6 months.

I want this stuff to stop growing so it looks more manicured with just the 4-6 palms. I know mulching it should help prevent stuff from growing but I believe I need to get rid of all this small shit before I mulch it. If you look closely at the pic you can see small trees or weeds sprouting up that I’ve cut. Is the best approach to dig up all this shit in this 20x20 area then mulch? Any herbacides that I could spray down that wouldn’t heard my palms due to proximity? You can see trunk of palms in photo.

View attachment 394590
Get concentrated vinegar if you don't want to use roundup.

Also you mentioned walnut. Don't mix walnut with vegetables or fruit trees. Walnut produces a toxin that gets into the soil via the drip line and via leeching from the roots. It will slow or stop the growth of nearby things. Make sure you keep them separated.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Huh, I was told I have a Pear tree in my backyard when I moved in, I just took it at face value and never questioned it. It's been 12 years of living there now, and no pears. The way you guys are talking, this thing should have fruited by now. Are there male/female fruit trees? Maybe I need another one.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Huh, I was told I have a Pear tree in my backyard when I moved in, I just took it at face value and never questioned it. It's been 12 years of living there now, and no pears. The way you guys are talking, this thing should have fruited by now. Are there male/female fruit trees? Maybe I need another one.
Too lazy to look up but it depends on tree. Some require cross pollination with a different variety of the same type of nut/fruit (walnut I know).

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Get concentrated vinegar if you don't want to use roundup.

Also you mentioned walnut. Don't mix walnut with vegetables or fruit trees. Walnut produces a toxin that gets into the soil via the drip line and via leeching from the roots. It will slow or stop the growth of nearby things. Make sure you keep them separated.
decided I’m gonna use round up. Picking up a stump grinder in an hour to grind out stumps. Gonna wrap the base of my good trees with tarp and then roundup the area.

• 1Garbage

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
As someone who's lived in NJ and had to go to PA to do any decent mountain biking, I can confirm there are no hills in FL.

Plenty of hills in Lake county.
How many acres do you have? I live on 20 acres and I do not even own a lawn mower, much less a "tractor". Between goats and roundup to kill off the very few things they don't eat, why would you need one.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of planting some fruit trees. Curious if any of you do? I already have some hugeee walnut trees on my property. Thinking of following fruits that I believe I can source versions of that will grow in my area of Florida - orange, avocado, lychee, peach. I’m very new to this so doing a ton of research. Also think I found some walnut trees that’ll grow in my area but require cross pollination from a different species so a tiny more complicated.

Also thinking of gardening veggies however not sure how to protect that shit from my ample deer/bears/etc other than maybe a greenhouse.

First thing I did 20 years ago was research and plant every fruit and nut tree that grows well for my area of Florida. Some lived, some died. FORGET about vegetables unless they are in raised beds or pots and very small limited areas. FL soil is poor and full of nematodes, Fruit/nut trees are also a heeelllll of a lot less work.

Lychee is too cold sensitive, do Logan instead. Orange is fine, Avocado is fine so long as you are not like me and have animals that avocados are deadly toxic to. Ton of more exotic things that grow well here like White Sapote, Chinese Juju tree, Bael Fruit, Macadaminian nut, etc. I know there are some books floating around that specialize in Florida fruit/nut exotic trees.

Oh also Mulberry trees, white, red and black, GREAT trees. Not too big and drop a ton of fruit. Loquat too! Loquat is great, not too big and drops a ton of fruit.

Want something pretty that surprised me how hardy and fast growing it is? Australian Flame Tree and also Rainbow Eucalyptus. Welcome to FL you scrub northern invader.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You live in MN right? That's a bit far north for pears, although Southern MN is only just outside the zone. Probably a pollination issue, assuming it's really a pear tree.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You live in MN right? That's a bit far north for pears, although Southern MN is only just outside the zone. Probably a pollination issue, assuming it's really a pear tree.

Yeah, I dunno...was obviously here when I bought in 2009, and my guess is that it was planted when the pool was put in in 91...which makes that tree 30 years old, and nothing. I don't even get flowers or nubs or anything that makes it look like it's trying to fruit.

We had 2 plum trees growing up which were absolutely fucking amazing. They completely ruined me on grocery store plums, I can't eat them to this day because they simply don't compare to how good those plums were. Mom made fucking plum jam with how many we had every year, just bushels and bushels of them.

I need to get some more fruit trees!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
As someone who's lived in NJ and had to go to PA to do any decent mountain biking, I can confirm there are no hills in FL.
You kidding? They have huge kills over in clermont.

• 1Garbage

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
First thing I did 20 years ago was research and plant every fruit and nut tree that grows well for my area of Florida. Some lived, some died. FORGET about vegetables unless they are in raised beds or pots and very small limited areas. FL soil is poor and full of nematodes, Fruit/nut trees are also a heeelllll of a lot less work.

Lychee is too cold sensitive, do Logan instead. Orange is fine, Avocado is fine so long as you are not like me and have animals that avocados are deadly toxic to. Ton of more exotic things that grow well here like White Sapote, Chinese Juju tree, Bael Fruit, Macadaminian nut, etc. I know there are some books floating around that specialize in Florida fruit/nut exotic trees.

Oh also Mulberry trees, white, red and black, GREAT trees. Not too big and drop a ton of fruit. Loquat too! Loquat is great, not too big and drops a ton of fruit.

Want something pretty that surprised me how hardy and fast growing it is? Australian Flame Tree and also Rainbow Eucalyptus. Welcome to FL you scrub northern invader.
Ok first off great info and thank you. Second off I’m florida born and raised.

Good info on raised beds. Was debating whether or not I should do them and was researching.

• 1Moron

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The highest point in Florida is 345 feet above sea level. They're not that huge.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The highest point in Florida is 345 feet above sea level. They're not that huge.

Drive around the west side of lake Apopka or up sugarloaf mountain in Lake County, beautiful vistas to be had

• 1Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
We bought a chicken from a poultry show. Was showing signs of sickness so we tried to give it a saline bath, antibiotics, and apple cide vinegar for sour crop. She didnt make it.

Bummed out but lesson learned don't buy a grown up chicken from a chicken show.

• 1Moron

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If you grew up in florida they’re huge. I had to drive to clermont last fall and my mind was blown. It’s relative of course but still.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Ok had more time to digest this. Pretty bummed about avo. I think it may make my deer sick… Maybe bears too.

Im gonna do one raised bed as a trial run. What do you/you guys think of buying something like this, using metal instead of making my own with wood? Any benefit? I do like how tall it is. Price doesn’t matter but I’d wonder if making it out of wood this tall would be near the same price.

Wow those are all fruits I’ve never heard of. I was hoping to plant fruit trees with fruits that I know I already like.. Although I like the idea of having food sources available regardless so wouldn’t be the end of the world if I plant something exotic and end up not loving the taste.

Allegedly mature juju trees can produce 40-100lbs of fruit per season. That’s a great return.. I’ll look into all these. Trees do need to grow high enough so my deer infestation doesn’t rape and pillage them. Longans look interesting but not sure they get tall enough to keep deer out of reach.

If you happen to know any books let me know. Cruising amazon as we speak taking a look at options.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ok had more time to digest this. Pretty bummed about avo. I think it may make my deer sick… Maybe bears too.

Im gonna do one raised bed as a trial run. What do you/you guys think of buying something like this, using metal instead of making my own with wood? Any benefit? I do like how tall it is. Price doesn’t matter but I’d wonder if making it out of wood this tall would be near the same price.

Wow those are all fruits I’ve never heard of. I was hoping to plant fruit trees with fruits that I know I already like.. Although I like the idea of having food sources available regardless so wouldn’t be the end of the world if I plant something exotic and end up not loving the taste.

Allegedly mature juju trees can produce 40-100lbs of fruit per season. That’s a great return.. I’ll look into all these. Trees do need to grow high enough so my deer infestation doesn’t rape and pillage them. Longans look interesting but not sure they get tall enough to keep deer out of reach.

If you happen to know any books let me know. Cruising amazon as we speak taking a look at options.
It’s been years so don’t remember the actual books , but the truth is out there.

also look into hanging vegetable gardens, I think they’d be even easier and more productive than raised beds. There is a place near me that has a couple acres of hanging tomatoes.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Went to Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More... open house today was pretty cool, had Tractor Time with Tim , Outdoor with the Morgans, and Stoney Ridge Farmer there all great homesteading youtubers. I just love checking out all the ag equipment. Saw some improvement in supply after the last two years, actually starting to get some tractors back on the lot.

I didn't take many pics, mostly freezing my butt off in the snow on the outside lot. I get an equipment boner with this stuff.

66507551110--1D49F9C1-F157-49B4-9552-0E37D29D5E12.jpg

IMG-5522.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Went to Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More... open house today was pretty cool, had Tractor Time with Tim , Outdoor with the Morgans, and Stoney Ridge Farmer there all great homesteading youtubers. I just love checking out all the ag equipment. Saw some improvement in supply after the last two years, actually starting to get some tractors back on the lot.

I didn't take many pics, mostly freezing my butt off in the snow on the outside lot. I get an equipment boner with this stuff.

View attachment 395445
View attachment 395446

Did you look into framing your house in steel?