Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Saw a guy pimping rocket mass heaters, for 3k.

It looked pretty simple, nice but way over priced.

Anyone have experience with these?

Might try building one, or buying, for next year

Reading that wiki, this thing sounds pretty stupid except for a hipstery functional show off piece. Good wood stoves have secondary combustion tubes and are pretty god damn efficient. Would love to see some impartial numbers, but even if they were twice as efficient i'm not sure that's worth buttfucking a whole room to build one.

edit: also looking like you can only feed smaller pieces of wood into it, which can't be efficient

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Foler is known for making up wild lies about literally everything, I wouldn't waste your time helping him with his "tractor plans"

• 2Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Foler is known for making up wild lies about literally everything, I wouldn't waste your time helping him with his "tractor plans"
I'm fully aware, but I think it makes a more interesting thread to answer the questions as long as they're on topic for the thread. Hell everyone in this thread could be lying but even if his questions are fake, it still makes for some educational discussion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
If you want some real rancher cred, pick up an old John Deere.

I know several people who are still using these tractors daily even though it's over 50 years old. Want to talk about holding value, these tractors sold new for $10,000. 57 years later, it's worth $12k. Might have to fix something now and then, but there's no electronics to worry about.
There’s a tractor dealer I drive by on occasion that has a line up of old school tractors out front. Not sure if they’re for sale or nostalgia. A lot of real estate taken up for nostalgia. I’ll have to drop by just for kicks.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Last winter a rat got into my shop at the farm and ate wires in my SXS...apparently some of the plastics around the wires contained soy. Fucking soy, nothing but trouble.
Poisoned the shit out of that fucker and found him dead 4 days later...he ended up in the burn barrel.
Heh well fuck. I put a deposit on a sxs last week. Who knows when I’ll get it, maybe June? Unfortunately I have zero place to store it inside.. it’s a can am defender limited so it’s fully enclosed but I’m sure there’s still exposed shit for critters to chew through. Hopefully my roaming bobcats/foxes/hawks help 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I’ll shoot a picture of my sxs when I get (who knows when).

Tractor is up for debate. Since I can tow a mower with the sxs then I don’t really need the tractor for that. Question is then what do I need the tractor for… Honestly can’t think of a lot right now. Looking at the attachments to it opens up some ideas. Since I don’t farm (yet?) I’m not sure it would be worth owning for the occasional big project rather than just paying a contractor to do it.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Go the Jeremy Clarkson route Foler Foler

1641475124353.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So with my UTV on order I’m starting to look at pull/push mower options. Lots of options here - finish mower, rough cut mower, rotary vs flail mower etc. I definitely don’t think a finish mower is something I need - not maintaining a pristine lawn. I do need something that can 1. Get a decent close cut on large fields with grass that isn’t too thick and 2. Demolish grass/weeds to grow up 3 ft+ height, be able to run it on my forest trails (potentially hitting stuff like sticks).

I don’t think there’s a one mower solution to fit both scenarios. The closest I’ve found are some very attractive push/pull flail mowers unfortunately they’re either in Europe/aus and if they do have a dealer they’re way up in north USA. I like have a local dealer but I’m wondering, if I’m willing to go to the trouble to acquire a more “exotic” mower, could any old tractor/mow shop probably work on it? Id guess so, many use Briggs and Stratton engines or similar found in other small machinery.

Rammy makes some extremely attractive flail mowers and brush cutters. Based in Finland tho.

I’m wondering if I could do two mowers - mount one on the front that’s more of a brush cutter to nail the heavy shit then something like a rough cut being towed to get a cleaner cut. Swisher is a common brand in the USA but some people say it’s not very heavy duty.

If anyone has ever used one of these or has thoughts/input/advice

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I own a deere 4066M. It's my 4th tractor. Heres some tips:

1. Deere holds value better than Kubota. This means better trade in/trade up values. But thats not everything.

2. Deere is expensive. They are built like tanks, though.

3. Don't get an E series. Stick with M or R. Only get a cab if you *have* to have Air conditioning. IMO it's not worth the loss of visibility and convenience. Getting in and out of the cab is a pain in the ass. Get the hard top instead for the shade.

4. Budget for attachments. A bush hog (rotary cutter/shredder), finishing mower, and pallet forks (2000lb capacity) at a minimum is what youll need for property maintenance. Maybe more depending on your situation.

5. Make sure your dealer is reasonably nearby *AND* that you like them. With maintenance, that tractor will last at least 50 years. The dealer is important. Don't half ass maintenance.

Based on what youve said on the forums (that ive seen anyway), a 4M or 4R would be plenty of tractor. The 5 series has a much larger frame and is getting into a much higher price range. Last year the 4 series tractors were in short supply. Not sure about now. Good luck.

Oh and they will do ok outside, but critters like to eat electrical wiring and hydraulic hoses :/ I store mine in a garage.
great advice thank you! I’m wondering if I can get away with a 3 series r. I definitely want to be able to put a bucket attachment on it, backhoe attachment and pull a bush hog.

There’s obviously a horsepower difference. Is that primarily going to affect what I can tow? Anything else I should consider when comparing 3 to 4 series?

Like I see these flex wing bush hogs want something between 50-75 HP which would be a 4 series. I’d rather spend maybe 6-10k more for a 4 series than get a 3 series and find out I’m more limited than I thought in what I can do.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
great advice thank you! I’m wondering if I can get away with a 3 series r. I definitely want to be able to put a bucket attachment on it, backhoe attachment and pull a bush hog.

There’s obviously a horsepower difference. Is that primarily going to affect what I can tow? Anything else I should consider when comparing 3 to 4 series?

Like I see these flex wing bush hogs want something between 50-75 HP which would be a 4 series. I’d rather spend maybe 6-10k more for a 4 series than get a 3 series and find out I’m more limited than I thought in what I can do.

This seems like overkill, that is a very expensive cutter. How many acres we talking? Is it hilly? You live in FL pretty sure you guys don't even know what a hill is

whoo

<Silver Donator>

If you need a 12 ft batwing cutter, you need a 4066 or a 5 series. Not all of the engine horsepower goes to the PTO. A 4066 (66hp) only sends something like 59 hp to the PTO. The biggest difference between the 3 and 4 series is frame size/hydraulic lift capacity.

But I'm with Blazin Blazin . Unless youre mowing many acres of rough stuff, your probaby better off splitting the cost of that into two implements.

1. An 8 ft rotary cutter ( no flex) for saplings, brush, field)
2. A 6-8ft finish mower for around the house (much nicer cut)

But how many acres of grass/pasture /brush are you talking?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This seems like overkill, that is a very expensive cutter. How many acres we talking? Is it hilly? You live in FL pretty sure you guys don't even know what a hill is

As someone who's lived in NJ and had to go to PA to do any decent mountain biking, I can confirm there are no hills in FL.

• 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

If you need a 12 ft batwing cutter, you need a 4066 or a 5 series. Not all of the engine horsepower goes to the PTO. A 4066 (66hp) only sends something like 59 hp to the PTO. The biggest difference between the 3 and 4 series is frame size/hydraulic lift capacity.

But I'm with Blazin Blazin . Unless youre mowing many acres of rough stuff, your probaby better off splitting the cost of that into two implements.

1. An 8 ft rotary cutter ( no flex) for saplings, brush, field)
2. A 6-8ft finish mower for around the house (much nicer cut)

But how many acres of grass/pasture /brush are you talking?
Honesty I think you’re both right. I think I’m looking for an excuse to buy a tractor heh.

Id guess I’m cutting maybe 5-8 acres? The only part that has me concerned is the thicker stuff down by my river. There is an incline but a pull mower with a pressure lubrication system it shouldn’t be an issue. Down by the river there are lots of cypress knees. I’ve tried to trim them down with my stihl fs 560 but it’s just the nature of florida.

I should probably just stick with the UTV and a pull rough cut mower for now. Looking at Kunz rough cut mowers. Specifically one of their models with pressure lubrication rated for up to 25 degree slope which should be more than sufficient (I think?).

I think you’re gonna tell me what I already know. I don’t need a tractor and should just stick with UTV and pull behind.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Skipping the tractor for now. Gonna grab this bad boy with wetlands package. Will pull with a truck until UTV gets here hopefully by summer.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Woke up this morning. Checked atvtrader per usual. Found a dealer had the exact UTV I wanted in stock. Just received it yesterday. Immediately put a deposit down on it as soon as they opened and drove down to take a look. Gonna take it. They have to finish putting stuff on it (bumper etc). Out the door total was 32k. Dropping another 5k in lighting, audio, hydraulic bed tilt etc.

096C5F19-324E-4558-BF18-480AE6B73223.jpeg

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Skipping the tractor for now. Gonna grab this bad boy with wetlands package. Will pull with a truck until UTV gets here hopefully by summer.

Ordering the rough cut mower next week. 6.8k shipped. Guess that’ll put me at about 40k or so to mow my lawn. Seems worth it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Thinking of planting some fruit trees. Curious if any of you do? I already have some hugeee walnut trees on my property. Thinking of following fruits that I believe I can source versions of that will grow in my area of Florida - orange, avocado, lychee, peach. I’m very new to this so doing a ton of research. Also think I found some walnut trees that’ll grow in my area but require cross pollination from a different species so a tiny more complicated.

Also thinking of gardening veggies however not sure how to protect that shit from my ample deer/bears/etc other than maybe a greenhouse.