Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A crafty rat found it's way into a vehicle, and is avoiding the two traps. So found a variation on suffocating the varmints out, using dry ice (NYC got in trouble using this because it's not EPA approved). No idea how much dry ice would be need to fill up a vehicle enough to kill the rat, through. Also, no idea where it's getting food or water from:

Have tried one of the single set ups from this guy but the trap was too hair trigger, and it, seemingly, went off when the rat bumped the side of it (now the rat knows its a trap):

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A crafty rat found it's way into a vehicle, and is avoiding the two traps. So found a variation on suffocating the varmints out, using dry ice (NYC got in trouble using this because it's not EPA approved). No idea how much dry ice would be need to fill up a vehicle enough to kill the rat, through. Also, no idea where it's getting food or water from:

Have tried one of the single set ups from this guy but the trap was too hair trigger, and it, seemingly, went off when the rat bumped the side of it (now the rat knows its a trap):

Glue traps are the shit. Work like a charm.

Burns

Glue traps are the shit. Work like a charm.
It's a fairly large rat, about the size of fully grown pet rats I have seen people own. So a bit concerned it will get glue all over the inside of the vehicle, and haven't seen any signs of where it was pathing outside (in the garage). Obviously, every day the rat is in the vehicle, the higher the chance of it chewing through electronics, so running out of options and may do the glue trap tonight.

Was thinking about screwing the glue traps to a piece of wood, with a washer to keep it in place, in case it is strong enough to flop around with it otherwise.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's a fairly large rat, about the size of fully grown pet rats I have seen people own. So a bit concerned it will get glue all over the inside of the vehicle, and haven't seen any signs of where it was pathing outside (in the garage). Obviously, every day the rat is in the vehicle, the higher the chance of it chewing through electronics, so running out of options and may do the glue trap tonight.

Was thinking about screwing the glue traps to a piece of wood, with a washer to keep it in place, in case it is strong enough to flop around with it otherwise.
The glue doesnt come off so it isnt going to get spread anywhere. put a drop off food or something in the middle. Anchoring it is a good idea. the glue material is more solid than liquid so no worries about it spilling about.

1687458449594.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

The glue doesnt come off so it isnt going to get spread anywhere. put a drop off food or something in the middle. Anchoring it is a good idea. the glue material is more solid than liquid so no worries about it spilling about.

View attachment 479272
I have seen a mouse/rat (forgot which it was) work their way free from a partial hold in the old glue traps they used when I was a youth (in the 90s), then leave a trail of glue smeared across the floor with it's last bit of energy. I have also seen those old traps get flipped upside down and glued to the floor. Those two situations are the main concern I didn't want to deal with, in the car.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I found a glue trap with a lamp cord going through it once, under the dead mouse. Was seriously tempted to just throw the whole lamp away to avoid dealing with that.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

1 possum and 7 cons now. Today's was a cunt trying to grab me and pull me in to bite so it got to meet a 22lr instead of get driven 10 miles up the highway.

20230623_073520.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silky hen, 3 years old I'm guessing or so up and died in front of me, seemed like seizure or heart attack.

Took the chance to attempt to learn to butcher a bit using skinless method for quick and easy and less messy. Basically getting just breast/tender/legs.

Worked fairly well despite being very tough and having dull knives.Silkies have very little meat too. I think it'd go much better with a proper sharp knife and working with a younger actual meat bird. But I don't think I'm going to be getting into the routine meat bird game, more of a if it ever becomes necessity. Too squeemish about harvesting practically pets tame livestock. (The faggot goats I beg my wife to kill and rampaging racoons etc I don't have as much an issue)

Have a rooster I'm going to practice next probably. Can't think of an illness, just think he's old AF, can hardly get up, falls over. Will essentially sit down to eat pellets. Leaning towards deleting his head with a .20cent shell instead of trying to chop him.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Meat birds are different. You won't get attached to them because they only live for 6 weeks and don't do anything but eat.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
over the hill layers are really only fit for making stock anyway imo.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Druss

Trakanon Raider
Silky hen, 3 years old I'm guessing or so up and died in front of me, seemed like seizure or heart attack.

Took the chance to attempt to learn to butcher a bit using skinless method for quick and easy and less messy. Basically getting just breast/tender/legs.

Worked fairly well despite being very tough and having dull knives.Silkies have very little meat too. I think it'd go much better with a proper sharp knife and working with a younger actual meat bird. But I don't think I'm going to be getting into the routine meat bird game, more of a if it ever becomes necessity. Too squeemish about harvesting practically pets tame livestock. (The faggot goats I beg my wife to kill and rampaging racoons etc I don't have as much an issue)

Have a rooster I'm going to practice next probably. Can't think of an illness, just think he's old AF, can hardly get up, falls over. Will essentially sit down to eat pellets. Leaning towards deleting his head with a .20cent shell instead of trying to chop him.
Ring his neck like my Gramps used to do, dont have to spend even the shell on it. Oh and no blood either.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Hang them upside down from a tree branch or something and slit their throat with a razor blade. Hanging upside down calms them down and they don't even know they are cut if you use a razor.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Hang them upside down from a tree branch or something and slit their throat with a razor blade. Hanging upside down calms them down and they don't even know they are cut if you use a razor.
Yea we just butchered a rooster recently (only did one to learn with) and basically did this. I also pithed him in the hopes of getting a quicker kill + its supposed to loosen the feathers. I wanted to try this first time just dry plucking instead of scalding... I now fully understand why scalding is the norm. Adult rooster tasted pretty good but the meat was incredibly chewy. Stock pot for sure in the future.

I think overall as a total newb it took me ~1.5 hours from kill to fridge. Not bad and think we may get some meat birds next spring.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
So my understanding is that you need to bleed them out a bit and the reason I chose to sever the jugular and then pith was that is keeps the heart beating for a minute or two, which drains blood. Broomstick method doesn't do that, so just curious if your or anyone has experience with that and whether or not it matters.

Sludig

All fine methods but I just don't like killing by hand. Too personal. Unless again it's some of my cunt goats I'd happily down in their water tank.

Skinning was rough initially but once I had it mostly open and working on the meat it was easy to treat more like a store bird.

Bonus about shotgun is no face judging me for my betrayal.

Actually up to 33 birds, with a few just novelty or too young to lay. down to with the heat as well only about 4-5 eggs a day plus a duck. one of my 2 high laying ducks is either hiding or suddenly stopped, rest too young.

5 turkeys which I plan to keep 1-2 as kinda pays and now my wife is sad about the plans for the extras. 2 alarm guineas, 4 geese. 6 ducks that ideally I want to sell then all but wife crying about it. then a bunch of random chickens of all types including little micro seramas

And 2 emus that seem to hate each other but well see come breeding season

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
And 2 emus that seem to hate each other but well see come breeding season

If they're like chickens then mating is basically rape so they don't really need to like each other.