Horizon: Zero Dawn

spronk

FPS noob
I cannot play this game specifically because every time I watch it everyone just tumbles around. That isn't gameplay.

they see me rollin, they hatin
patrollin, trying to catch me dirty

yLaB41H.gif

i try to roll everywhere i go in this game, my Aloy is gonna have scoliosis by the time shes 30

this game reminds me a lot of Conan, both the MMO and recent Age of Exiles, in terms of world building and stuff (minus the dinos and tech stuff of course). No tits or dongs sadly

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been smooshing rabbits for 5 minutes now and haven't had to roll once.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I was way behind on the story doing sidequest and exploring and stuff. So tonight I did a few of the main quest...holy shit the world building is just awesome. I'm actually reading all the fucking journals and stuff. I'm utterly captivated by the setting.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I hardly ever need to tumble...then again I try never to actually get close to the robodinos. Never underestimate the power of precision targeting of various subsystems. Night and day difference in combat if you are accurate enough with the nicer precision bows.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't even tumble that much on very hard, usually only when I've screwed up and let one of the annoying fast/mid-size machines see me. Anything large gets roped, but with mid-size ones it's still easier to just dodge an attack and hit them with the spear. (BTW, the skill that makes heavy spear strike knockdown easier is probably the most overpowered thing in the game when combined with Critical+.)

I think I'm nearing the end, something like 80-85% completion last I checked the stats. Is there really no use for any of the large machine lenses or hearts? There are a whole bunch of things that say "vendor trade for items" or whatever, not just for shards, but I have never seen a vendor that wants anything from the large ones besides crystal weave.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I've been smooshing rabbits for 5 minutes now and haven't had to roll once.
So its not just me that noticed the abundance of skinless rabbits, foxes, boars, and fish...Almost as bad as all those apparently blind murlocks in Westfall.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So its not just me that noticed the abundance of skinless rabbits, foxes, boars, and fish...Almost as bad as all those apparently blind murlocks in Westfall.

Skins are rare ingredients and bones are uncommon. Basically you need to be murdering wildlife on the regular and hope you get them for some of the key upgrades.

Also it rustles my jimmies how the Tutorial Quests for new weapons are handled. You have to have them active to get credit for them which just makes me forget about them when I'm doing other shit. God damn. They offer good EXP too.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i spent 2 hours last night just doing all the tutorials, i hadn't done one since the beginning of the game and just wanted them all cleared out.

if you start the game kill every racoon, fox, rabbit, and fish you come across. i have to spend some time now just farming those animals to upgrade all my stuff to full carry, wish I had killed them as I walked across them. also don't pick up every twig you see in the beginning, its the one item vendors won't buy so my dumb ass has to drop giant bundles of em everywhere when my maxxed resources inventory is full.

the one thing that I feel kinda bad about not doing is ever actually riding a dino, i just find walking fine. The map is so insanely huge though, I don't even have half of it uncovered yet and I feel like this is the biggest world I have played in to date. Maybe witcher 3 was bigger but it was split into a lot of zones and this world feels way more seamless and organic

Last edited:

Vorph

I'm talking about thunderjaw, behemoth, rockbreaker, etc. hearts and lenses. I've already got all shadow/lodge weapons, plus every outfit and all storage upgrades done. None of it required anything bigger than a trampler heart. One weapon and one armor each need a crystal braiding, which come from the largest machines.

As far as I can tell none of the large machine hearts or lenses are used for anything at all. I can sort of understand not using corrupter or deathbringer materials since they are limited and most people probably won't get a heart from either of them given the rarity of the drop. The rest are just weird.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I felt like I was playing Overwatch last night, more specifically playing as Mei, using the Sling freeze ammo, to freeze people and than shoot them in the face. Good times. :)

Vorph

Freeze bombs seem so much more effective than freeze arrows, which is kind of odd since my warbow has a higher cold damage stat.

Speaking of weapons, a bit of advice -- NEVER sell Blaze. Doesn't matter how much you have, it's not going to be enough. I was selling it off when I got over 3 stacks and I am regretting that decision as I stand at a fucking merchant buying it 1 unit at a time with click-and-hold. In fact if I had it to do over I probably wouldn't sell ammo materials at all except for the shock and cold stuff which are ridiculously common. Instead get rid of all the stuff which merchants take for weapons and armor as soon as you buy it all (along with maybe some dupe weapons to avoid mod-swapping, and make sure you get one of each of the weird items from the trash vendor). It's simply not needed for anything else, and buying boxes with any of it isn't worth your time, because too often the boxes have rocks in them making them a pain in the ass to get rid of.

And one last inventory tip, sell off all your traps so that you can easily access potions. Traps are all but useless once you get shadow weapons and I've died several times while trying to switch from whistling to a full heal potion because there were a bunch of stupid traps clogging up the list. I ditched all the resist pots too. If I need one I just craft it and use it on the spot.

Last edited: