Horizon: Zero Dawn

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay here is a sweet screenshot I found from the game.

Hot_Rodder_Goron.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished the game, completed all side quests but one, cleared all camps, have all collectables.

But you think I can find a fucking raccoon?

Nope, still cant max out my bags.
If you see a raccoon in this game, Drop everything you are doing and focus on that critter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, getting two raccoon skins took way too long, and the goose skin sucked too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Grinding critters with very minimal gain in terms of components/XP other than their ultra rare drops... God.

Gives me Vex Thal shard hunting PTSD... albeit on a much smaller scale.

• 1Like

Vorph

To be fair, raccoons aren't that much more rare than foxes, and there's probably areas where they spawn in decent quantity if you pay attention (or check reddit/gamefaqs/etc). I had all the boar, turkey, fox, fish, etc. skins I needed without even trying since you need to farm meat for heal pots. Was just raccoon and goose that I ignored and then paid the price when I suddenly had to go spend time specifically hunting for them.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair, raccoons aren't that much more rare than foxes, and there's probably areas where they spawn in decent quantity if you pay attention (or check reddit/gamefaqs/etc). I had all the boar, turkey, fox, fish, etc. skins I needed without even trying since you need to farm meat for heal pots. Was just raccoon and goose that I ignored and then paid the price when I suddenly had to go spend time specifically hunting for them.
The biggest problem is the animals are nearly invisible in all the underbrush unless you are constantly going super slow in scanning mode. So you wind up passing by tons of stuff you probably need because you simply never notice it. That and when you are scanning its sometimes hard to tell if you can hit it directly or not and so you wind up basically blind firing through underbrush.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I'll occasionally scan the area I'm in and tag the wildlife - irritates me to no end when I draw the bow and the critter runs in to the tall grass, but if I have them marked no problem.

I haven't sold any blaze and still have run low, need to be more disciplined about switching to regular arrows when fire isn't beneficial. I'm only level 20 I think so not packing much in the way of upgraded weapons, but going to start working on them. I was going to put off Meridian but the travel pack was too good to pass up (damn chasing down a fox after the fact).

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I've sold sooooo much blaze and I still have over 300. I use hardpoint arrows like crazy but they're easy to make. Tearblast first, then hardpoint, unless the enemy has a fire/frost/lightning point I can hit with elemental arrows.

Freeze is definitely the best way to take down the stronger npcs. Ropecaster is amazing too.

If you need geese, go back to where you did the quest in the beginning area, finding the prayer beads for the outcast lady. There is a cliff with about 10 geese that re-spawn when you fast travel.

Vorph

Sticky bombs take 2 blaze each (3 if you don't have Ammo Crafter unlocked), that's where all of mine goes. I've been making an effort to freeze everything first though, so I'm wasting a lot less bombs than I used to. Spending 2-3 chillwater to save a dozen blaze is a no-brainer.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Finished the game, completed all side quests but one, cleared all camps, have all collectables.

But you think I can find a fucking raccoon?

Nope, still cant max out my bags.
If you see a raccoon in this game, Drop everything you are doing and focus on that critter.

Don't know if you did this already, but you can select what components you are in need of and the game will create a quest for you so you know where to go. Just highlight the raccoon skins, create quest, and the game will tell you where you can find them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
the one thing that I feel kinda bad about not doing is ever actually riding a dino, i just find walking fine. The map is so insanely huge though, I don't even have half of it uncovered yet and I feel like this is the biggest world I have played in to date. Maybe witcher 3 was bigger but it was split into a lot of zones and this world feels way more seamless and organic

Riding a dino in this game is highly overrated and unnecessary. The only benefit is getting from point A to point B quicker, but there are sooooo many campfires in this game it is far easier to just quick travel.

As far as map size, I don't find this one to be particularly large. The gameworld is big, but not as big as advertised, imo. It doesn't take that long to walk from quest to quest, especially if you aren't stopping to pick flowers or kill dinos. I think Skyrim is a much larger map for example.....it took a longer time to walk from one end of the world to the other. It's more along the size of Fallout 4. Hard to compare to Witcher 3 because you had all those stupid islands that took forever to reach by boat or swimming.....but I would say the mainland part of Witcher 3 is smaller than Horizon.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I use fire arrows to hunt foxes and raccoons all the time....Unless I'm running low on blaze. The aoe makes them really easy to hit.

Either that, or I use the... war bow(?with hard point arrows). When scanning with your focus, the war Bow "charges" really fast straight out of using focus, so you can line up your shot that way and seeing the critter through the brush, then L2->R2 and shoot before they've moved.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What really sucks is being in a major fight and suddenly realizing that your supply of wood, the stuff that you had collected far too much of early on in the game and therefore ignored for the past several days, is now gone and you can no longer make any arrows.

Thankfully my supply of wire had replenished itself and I was able to get really creative with tripping ridiculously large dinos. I have still not managed to get a trampler heart and thus have been unable to score a Warbow. Especially frustrating since the primary location I know for tramplers is stupidly close to a bunch of Glinthawks and a Tbird.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just hit the first point of no return yet. (I guess there are two) and finishing all the errands and side quests give you more dialogue options. I was going to do that first, but then I got so wrapped up in the story I started neglecting them. So, tomorrow I will be finishing up all those and then finishing the main quest. I also have one more Tall guy to climb in the lower portion of the world which may open up even more side quests though.

I am fired up to head into the first point of no return.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Utnayan Utnayan , What do you mean by point of no return? Is there a warning when you reach one?

Yep. There are two. One, you will be notified via voice acting. "Make sure you have all your errands done!" It's actually a long cut scene, and then you will get a prompt confirming you want to proceed. And then there is a second one in the second to last mission. I just made it to the first one. I heard about the second when seeing how many main story missions I had left.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So, how do you find all the data points in the world (like the on the ground text ones) there seem to be a lot of them in the collection tab and I am not finding a lot of them naturally.

I'm a total whore for such lore but I kinda hoped it would be somewhat easier to find them Like artifacts in Last of Us.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So, how do you find all the data points in the world (like the on the ground text ones) there seem to be a lot of them in the collection tab and I am not finding a lot of them naturally.

I'm a total whore for such lore but I kinda hoped it would be somewhat easier to find them Like artifacts in Last of Us.

A lot of the time they show up on the HUD, that can help. A lot of the time they also don't. You'll probably need a guide to collect all the world ones, but the quest ones are fairly easy to complete, and they have the lions share of the interesting information.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A lot of the time they show up on the HUD, that can help. A lot of the time they also don't. You'll probably need a guide to collect all the world ones, but the quest ones are fairly easy to complete, and they have the lions share of the interesting information.

Yeah I noticed that. I'd go through an area and find nothing then go through again for whatever reason and find one. Probably will just have to read the wiki compilation of them because I don't care for 100% trophying games.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it would be nice if they sold a map for that like they do for Ancient, Vantages, and other stuff.