House of Cards

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think the show is great, I'm not really complaining, I just think the things that we have mentioned here are holding it back. I love the show, definitely one of my favorites right now but I don't think I'd ever sit down if someone who hadn't seen it put it on and watch it with them. I'd go do something else with my time.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why are people complaining that Frank has risen to the very top? That would be a great series if halfway through season 2 he got found out and sentenced to life in prison - Season 3 would be intense if so! NOT

He's now President, which means when he does fall he'll fall a lot harder than if he was still whip or VP.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Why are people complaining that Frank has risen to the very top?
We aren't complaining that he reached the very top. Some people are rightfully complaining that everything turns out perfect for him and it gets a bit absurd. Contrast this with s1, which did a much better job of showing him outsmarting his opponents and still having troubles.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
While they did tend to hammer it a bit much, I think this season did a good job of Money vs. Power. Like Remy said, power is fleeting, money hangs around.

I didn't notice this in season 1, but did anyone else notice Frank doing the Hw thing? hwip, hwere, etc? I figured it was him trying to do his southern accent (which seemed to have diminished this season), but it still gave me Family Guy flashbacks.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
wow....great finale.great season.
the middle of the season was moving back and forward,with tusk and feng.
and yes,it's better than breaking "omg best series ever" bad

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
You just have to accept the premise.

I agree it skirts melodrama but that doesn't bother me. A show like this is going to skirt it. Political dramaissoap opera for men. I think I said it in this very thread, months ago, and remarked that they managed to avoid the worst parts of it successfully in s1 by developing Franks character. But they can't do that as much in s2 since it's already been done. You go too far in 1 direction and it becomes Days of our Frank. But if you go too far in the other direction you have to read the wikipedia to understand what the fuck is going on. Mindful of that difficulty with the subject material, I think they've done just about the best possible job of it.

Mr. Hearst is an abstraction. So is Frank.

That's why I equate it to Mad Men. Mad Men is more of an ensemble. HoC is what Mad Men would look like if it was 90% Don Draper all the time. And actually look at the complaints about Mad Men, they're similar complaints. "Too much Betty" is just another way to say "Too much soap opera". Do you quickly forget 50 Shades of Draper?

Whenever the Raymond Tusk character shows up (great actor)... you know how it's gonna be. He's going to be the robber baron. He's a character actor and thats his character. The last season of deadwood would have been better if Sweegin had just taken him out back and shot him, too.

So yeah. Let it digest for a little while. Its still top notch.

The green screen sequences bugged me more than the other stuff.
*Clapclapclap*

I've watching original House of Cards and if I were to compare the two shows, American HoC includes more women than not from the original (Claire). Pretty impressive. truly a 21st century adoption. It is also more serious and less comical.

I guess S2 was not as good as S1 was because Frank's rise to power was relatively quicker in the original and maybe American adoption had to get creative afterwards. Essentially, American Frank had to rise through the hierarchy twice while British Frank only had to rise once, mostly because of different political system and whatnot.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
This show is fun but not a great television show. Please stop comparing it to Breaking Bad, or I will be forced to kill you.

If you had to watch it weekly it would not hold up to the scrutiny nearly as well as it does when you binge watch.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If you had to watch it weekly it would not hold up to the scrutiny nearly as well as it does when you binge watch.
Yep. This show isn't even close to being as good as Breaking Bad. HoC season one is excellent, but this didn't live to that level at all. The first episode was unfortunately the best episode this season.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Yea it definitely didnt hook me in at the end like s1. The whole fued between frank and tusk was just tedious and nowhere near as interesting as the murder plot. I'm not going to really complain though because I'm sure s3 will be full of good stuff regarding all that.

Dont get me wrong the politics stuff is good, but I was falling asleep watching the last 5 episodes.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Yep. This show isn't even close to being as good as Breaking Bad.
People are going to be comparing everything to Breaking Bad for years. It's only going to happen more as the standard goes up.

That being said this show is great. Not amazing though. Spacey and Wright pretty much carry it on their shoulders and every other character seems like background noise.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
We aren't complaining that he reached the very top. Some people are rightfully complaining that everything turns out perfect for him and it gets a bit absurd. Contrast this with s1, which did a much better job of showing him outsmarting his opponents and still having troubles.
There's a lot that doesn't turn out roses for him and at this point him "losing" on anything significant would put him in jail and end the show

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I loved s2...except:

The whole Meecham seduction was a big wtf moment for me. It seemed extremely out of place and just wrong. Not the whole Francis being bi-sexual angle mind you, they put in place the foundation for that in s1, but it just seemed disjointed and unnecessary.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I loved s2...except:

The whole Meecham seduction was a big wtf moment for me. It seemed extremely out of place and just wrong. Not the whole Francis being bi-sexual angle mind you, they put in place the foundation for that in s1, but it just seemed disjointed and unnecessary.
Yeah, absolutely no point to it. Same with the 20 second
Threesome with Feng and auto-erotic asphyxiation

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, absolutely no point to it. Same with the 20 second
Threesome with Feng and auto-erotic asphyxiation
Completely agree, I thought that would turn out to be used against him in some way, but it went absolutely nowhere... wtf was the point of it?

felldoh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Completely agree, I thought that would turn out to be used against him in some way, but it went absolutely nowhere... wtf was the point of it?
While talking with Stamper, Feng is is justifying his lifestyle mentions that he wants to experience everything that life has to offer (or something like that), and that apparently includes getting blown by a chick and a dude with a plastic bag over his head. It was just a cheap thrill masquerading as character development.