How do you deal with someone's suicide?

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Echoing what everyone has been saying--it truly sucks and sorry for your loss.

I can confirm that alcoholism / mental illness is a bitch to deal with. I'll re-use an Al-Anon slogan here: "you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it."

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Her mom told me not to blame the boyfriend. Says that what killed her was alcoholism, and the timing of COVID (she means the response to it, not being allowed to go to work or see doctors).

Also the mental health community was completely out to lunch. She called FIFTY PLUS places looking for a therapist she could talk to, and everyone was like "sorry can't, covid"

A friend of a friend, who I knew from parties and gatherings committed suicide in May 2021. Every time I saw him he was very upbeat and happy so I had no idea but he had a lot of depression and alcohol issues. He had a one year old daughter with his wife and during covid with everything closed he started drinking harder. She got fed up and kicked him out of the house due to it. So since he was even more sad and alone he just kept drinking more and more till he shot himself. Similar situation in that the covid response of everything being closed and not being able to see people definitely contributed to his problems and suicide.

• 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I need to correct something. I thought she went over to her parents house to do it. Turns out, they were actually LIVING with her parents because they got evicted. And it was a miserable situation for everyone involved. She kept trying to end the relationship but couldn't because this guy was living under her parents roof with her, and apparently him being abusive/intimidating played into it because he'd lose his temper at her.

So she had this heavily-armed guy in her parents house with her that she wanted to break up with and couldn't because of the safety of her family and whatever else.

Sad thing is, she could have shown up on my doorstep at ANY point and I would have looked out for her. I've done that with her before. But after 2019 or so I was so out of touch with her that she wasn't sure if I still cared or what.

And I can't be angry at her because even though what she did was stupid and selfish, she was suffering on so many levels. I didn't even know the half of it when I did the first post, but I've been talking to her family and friends all week so I know a lot more now.

As was already mentioned, yeah, that was ruled out.

He fuckin' might as well have though because he had his guns unlocked. She was apparently wildly depressed for the last year+ and an alcoholic, and this guy kept bringing alcohol into the house, then LEFT UNSECURED GUNS AROUND A SUICIDAL PERSON.

At this point I'm just wondering how she didn't off herself way sooner with him doing such a piss poor job looking out for her. He kept bringing alcohol into the house and hiding it in the basement since he'd turned into an alcoholic too. She'd find it, of course. Her mom had repeatedly banned alcohol from the house for her sake, and the rest of the family stopped drinking. Except her guy, who'd sneak it, and then she'd sneak it when she discovered that.

Her poor mom told me it was horrible and that she did everything she could to get this girl off the alcohol and get her some help, but it was "impossible".

Her mom told me not to blame the boyfriend. Says that what killed her was alcoholism, and the timing of COVID (she means the response to it, not being allowed to go to work or see doctors).

She was also the worst kind of bipolar, full-on manic-depressive. And it got MUCH worse in the covid era. According to her mom, she fought and fought and fought and eventually lost the fight.

The guy had gone to work (night shift). She told her mom that night that she needed for her mom to get her boyfriend out of the house so she could end it, then she was doing the laundry. At some point in there she got into the guy's latest basement alcohol stash and was drinking, then found the unsecured gun while she was down there, then immediately went outside and shot herself. Was about midnight. Her mom found her and tried to revive her, apparently she might have still been alive for a little bit but by the time they got to the hospital she wasn't.

Guaranteed she was mixing antidepressants and alcohol that night and it ruined her impulse control.

Also the mental health community was completely out to lunch. She called FIFTY PLUS places looking for a therapist she could talk to, and everyone was like "sorry can't, covid"

Fucking hell.

Police took the guy's guns away and suspended his license to carry.

Her brother wants to kill the guy.

I looked out for her for years and years and years, whether we were together or not, and when her current relationship started I gave the guy a bunch of info of what to look out for and what not to do (mainly, keep her away from alcohol). And he disregarded all of it and instead ran to her about it to make me look bad for warning him about stuff. She called me up and wasn't happy that I did that. She knew what I was doing, but still, it was me giving him a lot of info that she might not have wanted him to know yet. But I knew what I was doing.

Instead of trying to score some fuckin' points over the "competition", maybe he should have taken the advice of a guy who'd known his new girlfriend for like a goddamn decade. I was the only guy who was ever successful at helping her get out of her depression and alcoholism, then she back-slid when I was out of the picture.

Also a few mutual friends of ours never told me how badly she was doing, which pisses me off at them on top of everything else. I made myself scarce to not mess with their relationship (because I easily could have). I was "the good guy" being all honorable and shit, thinking she was doing well while nobody told me anything.

I can't believe how much everybody failed her. I can't even be angry at her because she was battling a mental illness and addiction and she did the best she could, but what the fuck was she supposed to do when somebody kept bringing alcohol into the goddamn house?

She meant more to me than any other girl in my adult life and it isn't even close. I was friends with her from (her) age 22 onward and with her romantically on and off from like age 24 to 31 or something. I wish that, at any point, I'd let her know that I was still there if she needed me, instead of doing that guy a favor and disappearing. The last thing she told her mom was that she didn't know if any other guy (meaning me, maybe) would take her and that she was afraid of being alone in her current state. She was also pushing 35 and felt like her looks were rapidly going away. All the negging from the guy she was with probably made that part a lot worse.

Fuck. I can barely deal with this right now.

I asked a couple of my more religious friends to say a prayer for her because she doesn't deserve to go to Hell or any other bad outcome souls might go to. They said that if she's to be judged and go somewhere else, it's surely going to be taken into account that she had a mental illness and fought it for such a long time.
All of that reads like you trying to find anyone to blame but the one person who was actually 100% responsible for this, your ex. Was she or was she not an actual adult? If she was, then this all falls on her. Every last iota of it. It doesn't matter how shitty your life is, it is your life. You deal with it or you don't.

Hopefully you can figure out how to forgive her for what she did. You aren't going to find closure until you face the truth. The reasons really don't matter at this point, she did this to herself. It sucks. It's a totally 100% selfish and shitty thing to do to everyone who cared about her, but it is done. It really is not your fault, at all. You can only live your own life, and we all get the one go at it. We all have hurts and pains and trials and tribulations. But we all also have joy and beauty and wonder as well.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry your ex couldn't deal with her shit. Not everyone can, and that's on them. Playing what ifs isn't going to do you any good. You lived your life within the limits and knowledge you had. That's all any of us can do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All of that reads like you trying to find anyone to blame but the one person who was actually 100% responsible for this, your ex. Was she or was she not an actual adult? If she was, then this all falls on her. Every last iota of it. It doesn't matter how shitty your life is, it is your life. You deal with it or you don't.
If she was so fucking worried about her parents she could have murdered the boyfriend instead of killing herself.
Her mom told me not to blame the boyfriend.
Sounds like her parents are cowardly trash who failed their daughter on multiple levels.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's definitely some hard truths you're finding out and will continue to come across, when dealing with this. Everyone has already offered good advice. The last thing I'll add is: continue to talk it through and process. It can be here, it can be with personal friends, or a therapist. Doesn't matter, just keep processing and talking and don't let it fester. You'll come out better in the end.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
not your fault brother, we all wish we had more time when things like this happen we cant get it back just like we cant change what we didnt do during those times like others have said alot of suicidal people dont let off for one reason or another.

i just lost one of my best friends since middle school, i was out of touch with him the last 3-4 years i moved out of state we still talked but i was 12 hours away we were like brothers when i was growing up in my hometown always over eachother houses doors just open you walk in that type of trust his family was like my second family and vice versa with him and mine there was a decent group of us and we all stayed close, i had gotten the most distant though when i moved to maine i got super busy in a relationship with a chick who had a kid so i wasnt having as much free time to really sit down n game my priorities changed and we somewhat lost touch. I ended up moving back and we hung out everything seemed good but that was the last time i seen him was in 2021, i found out my dad had cancer shortly after moving back to my hometown and it wasnt just cancer he had alot going on and i lost him quick and unexpectedly. When he passed i began to isolate and not reach out too anyone i wanna say no less than 6 months after my dad passing i get a message on FB telling me my buddy jake is gone

so almost instantly my heart sinks and falls through my asshole, i ask what happened and there wasnt much to go off at the start because he was found in PERU.... mind you we are from the east coast me and his family... so all the family knew was he got up one morning left to go down to florida to dog sit for his cousin because i guess he had done that before so nobody thought nothing of it. i cant remember every detail his little brother told me at the funeral but he was in contact with his family on his phone pretty much until peru, then iirc the family couldeent get in touch with him anymore including my friends all trying to text him.

within the next 3 days the peruvian police called and said they found his car at the airport idk how they figured out what hotel he was at or whatever but they found him there dead with a bunch of prescription pill bottles around him with foam coming out the sides of his mouth he was 37 years old man.

and my other friends had no clue he felt this way, there is a group of about 8 of us weve all known eachother from middle-highschool so i asked one of them about jake did he mention he was depressed, did he start isolating or withdrawing himself from activities with you guys?

they said he was a little depressed but not suicidal he said he wasnt isolating 2 weeks before he flew to peru and killed himself he was still going to my friends birthday BBQs and living his normal everyday life going to work, he didnt withdraw a shit load of money his brothers said he had close to 75k in the bank, all he did was rent a car to drive to the airport and rent one over there i guess.

so yeah sorry for that long winded post but my entire friend group has all been kicking themselves in the dicks pretty hard because they all saw him, and they all just wish the same things wish they hung out with him one more time, got that chance to really have a serious talk to see if he was ok, and im on the outside feeling my own shame for not reaching out despite what i was going through, but i cant compare my grief to my friends they def have it worse this time with jake.

You honestly never know when someone is gonna get fed up with the pain they endure everyday and finally say fuck it only because they want some semblance of Rest/peace/happiness... and not to cease to exist, but i am pretty sure death is as peaceful as it gets.... now the way you die there isnt too many nice ways to die i think that is scarier than the actual being dead part

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I've started blaming her a lot more lately. Said a few "fuck yous" to the air today for her.

Sounds like her parents are cowardly trash who failed their daughter on multiple levels.

Yep. And that gets worse too. The guy started a gofundme for her funeral expenses, then...didn't have a funeral. So he collected like $8000 and nobody knows where all of it went.

Her fucking mom is just sort of letting this happen passively (just like she let everything else happen passively) and "letting him decide" what to do. She seems like she's on another planet lately and I wouldn't be surprised if she goes soon too.

So a few friends of hers are messaging the guy asking why he isn't having a funeral and he gives them all this TOTAL BULLSHIT about how "it isn't what she'd want" and he's "still trying to figure it out" and "maybe in the late spring we'll have a service of some sort but no headstone or burial". He's had six weeks to figure it out, and she told people numerous times that she expected to die young due to her mental illnesses and really hoped she'd have a nice funeral with a lot of people there. Told me that a bunch of times, even made me "promise to be there even if we haven't talked for a while". Which I did promise. Now I can't keep that promise because of this dude.

Also found out this guy also ran up his wife's credit card debt (they had shared cards) by buying a bunch of frivolous shit without consulting her, like a motorcycle. He spent between $20k and $30k on a bunch of shit and by all accounts most of it was a surprise to her. Being saddled with a bunch of this guy's debt added to her depression.

So this butt-fucker who can't handle money at all just had a gofundme and nobody knows what happened to the money. What a surprise.

A bunch of her friends are asking me to organize an actual funeral for her and they'll all pitch in. However we'd only raise a portion of what the gofundme raised (since most of her friends already pitched in what they could to that) AND we don't have her ashes (yeah, he got her cremated because he was taking too goddamn long to figure out whether or not to have a funeral for her body). So I could organize a funeral, but I don't know if it'd mean that much when it doesn't actually have her body.

Doing my best to not go and murder that piece of shit because I'm not that far off from it. I'll say this, if I end up getting a terminal illness and don't have to worry about prison time, he better move to Argentina.

I don't know exactly where he lives, just the town. Could find out, but I intentionally haven't to keep a gulf of space between me and him. At the very least I'm gonna report all this shit he pulled to the authorities. Though I assume he'll just say he's "working on it" and weave his bullshit-web to them to keep them off his back until everyone forgets about it and he can abscond with the funds.

Hoping he'll prove me entirely wrong and come through with a funeral and a nice service for her with a headstone and burying some of the ashes and everything that should happen, but I've got no indication he'll do that or is anything other than a useless piece of shit.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah I've started blaming her a lot more lately. Said a few "fuck yous" to the air today for her.

Yep. And that gets worse too. The guy started a gofundme for her funeral expenses, then...didn't have a funeral. So he collected like $8000 and nobody knows where all of it went.

Her fucking mom is just sort of letting this happen passively (just like she let everything else happen passively) and "letting him decide" what to do. She seems like she's on another planet lately and I wouldn't be surprised if she goes soon too.

So a few friends of hers are messaging the guy asking why he isn't having a funeral and he gives them all this TOTAL BULLSHIT about how "it isn't what she'd want" and he's "still trying to figure it out" and "maybe in the late spring we'll do it". He's had six weeks to figure it out, and she told people numerous times that she expected to die young due to her mental illnesses and really hoped she'd have a nice funeral with a lot of people there. Told me that a bunch of times, even made me "promise to be there even if we haven't talked for a while". Which I did promise. Now I can't keep that promise because of this dude.

Also found out this guy also ran up his wife's credit card debt (they had shared cards) by buying a bunch of frivolous shit without consulting her, like a motorcycle. He spent between $20k and $30k on a bunch of shit and by all accounts most of it was a surprise to her. Being saddled with a bunch of this guy's debt added to her depression.

So this butt-fucker who can't handle money at all just had a gofundme and nobody knows what happened to the money. What a surprise.

A bunch of her friends are asking me to organize an actual funeral for her and they'll all pitch in. However we'd only raise a portion of what the gofundme raised (since most of her friends already pitched in what they could to that) AND we don't have her ashes (yeah, he got her cremated because he was taking too goddamn long to figure out whether or not to have a funeral for her body). So I could organize a funeral, but I don't know if it'd mean that much when it doesn't actually have her body.

Doing my best to not go and murder that piece of shit because I'm not that far off from it. I'll say this, if I end up getting a terminal illness and don't have to worry about prison time, he better move to Argentina.

I don't know exactly where he lives, just the town. Could find out, but I intentionally haven't to keep a gulf of space between me and him. At the very least I'm gonna report all this shit he pulled to the authorities. Though I assume he'll just say he's "working on it" and weave his bullshit-web to them to keep them off his back until everyone forgets about it and he can abscond with the funds.

Hoping he'll prove me entirely wrong and come through with a funeral and a nice service for her with a headstone and burying some of the ashes and everything that should happen, but I've got no indication he'll do that or is anything other than a useless piece of shit.
Funerals aren't about the dead person, so whether the body is there or not is immaterial. If it helps you and her friends find closure then do it. Or hold a wake. Or whatever. Just gather and share each others' company and reminisce together for what might be the last time.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Funerals aren't about the dead person, so whether the body is there or not is immaterial. If it helps you and her friends find closure then do it. Or hold a wake. Or whatever. Just gather and share each others' company and reminisce together for what might be the last time.
Or maybe they could all beat his ass and then alibi one another.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t think that planning to confront or beat someone up that is a druggy/alcoholic with a lot of guns would accomplish anything good for anyone, as much as everyone wants to. Don’t do this.

What you do is find out everything about him and ruin his life in small ways for a few years. Get him fire. Slash his tires when he gets groceries. Get his next girlfriend to cheat on him with a huge black guy. Get creative and put some real effort and have fun with it. (This was tongue in cheek, I wouldn’t really do this either. Well maybe a little.)

Last edited:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know we've got people on here who have had to deal with this.

My long-time best friend (and ex-GF, almost married her back in 2016) killed herself. I'd been out of touch for most of the past year and now I feel terrible like I should have been more present for her. I had no idea what a tough time she was going through.

I think I went through all the grief stages in one night, mostly anger, now I'm just flat and dumbfounded. I'm guessing tomorrow it'll hit me again, the grief seems to be in waves where I go from feeling nothing to feeling terrible.

Also she shot herself in the head. Does this mean it has to be a closed-casket funeral? I know it depends on a few things, I'm just hoping the answer is a "not necessarily" and that there's a chance I can at least see her.

I'm mostly pissed-off that she'd do this to the people who care about her (her mom found the body). Not sure how I should be feeling or thinking otherwise. This feels so much worse than losing someone to natural causes or forces out of your control. Everything screams that I "could have done something"

Thanks for listening. Shit fucking sucks.

Speaking as someone who lost an ex-partner and very close friend back on 2nd January 1997 I can safely say you don't get over something like this. The pain gets muted as time passes but you don't want it to go away.

It's also entirely natural to question whether you could have done more or to start reassessing conversations you had in case you missed cries for help.

It fucking sucks and I'm sorry for your loss.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Most of my adult life I have made a point of befriending drug users, poor people, mentally ill people, etc.... Can't even count the number of friends I've lost to suicide on both hands at this point. Might be able to count them if I used toes too but I really don't want to build that list. =\

It only gets easier if you get numb. And being numb isn't the solution.

Some pain you keep forever.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My most recent loss -- not sure if it was OD or suicide but he was smart so idk if OD makes sense -- passed on Christmas Day. Not an "IRL" friend but an internet friend I've known for over a decade.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Most of my adult life I have made a point of befriending drug users, poor people, mentally ill people, etc.... Can't even count the number of friends I've lost to suicide on both hands at this point. Might be able to count them if I used toes too but I really don't want to build that list. =\

It only gets easier if you get numb. And being numb isn't the solution.

Some pain you keep forever.
After dealing with these types in my earlier years in life I’ve made it a point to avoid them later in life. Avoids all the inevitable problems that befriending someone like that brings. Drama, bad memories, thefts, problems, deaths. Why bring that upon yourself?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
After dealing with these types in my earlier years in life I’ve made it a point to avoid them later in life. Avoids all the inevitable problems that befriending someone like that brings. Drama, bad memories, thefts, problems, deaths. Why bring that upon yourself?
I'm a Christian and desire eternal life.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Tho I had the same habit when I was an atheist. So maybe that's not the whole story.

The Golden Rule is the best moral tool we have, even in a secular world. Y'know?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not saying to shit on people like that or anything, just don’t develop relationships with them is all.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not saying to shit on people like that or anything, just don’t develop relationships with them is all.
The Golden Rule is about more than what you want people to NOT do...

I've been fucked over a few times. But only a fraction of such friends I've made have done that.