How have you changed in the last decade?

EnigmaticParadigm

Molten Core Raider
Was thinking the other day that I joined the FoH boards back in February of 2003. Now, eleven years later, it's crazy to think how much has happened in the last decade. From a MMORPG standpoint, the Rathe Council was still bugged, WoW was being hyped, Brittany wasn't a hoofshot, and Millie still had a vagina. Reading over some of the old threads (work gets slow at times) reminds me that most folks on here are now probably in their late 20's to early 40's. It seems insane that an online community can endure so long given all the changes that we go through in our daily lives.

So, how has the last 10 years been for you; good or bad?

I can only imagine the reply from Sam da Man if he was still around...unless he is around...which is spooky...

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I learned that everyone on internet forums lies about everything.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I have learned that my best years may very well be behind me, but even if that's true that's OK because those were awesome, awesome years.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I'm obviously way more rational than I was 10 years ago now. Drinking all day on my days off and skateboarding around have changed to mostly reading cook books and going out once a week. I'm a thousand times more confident in myself as I've climbed the ladder. Even 3 years ago I used to be a bulldog at work, barking orders and leaving miserable to go get wasted. I'm way more calm and even-keeled even in the most tense situations like corrective actions and dealing with someone who isn't as experienced in our field. Leading a team vs managing a team comes up a lot when I'm teaching a sous chef to someday take my position (which honestly I just stepped into.)

That biological itch to reproduce is hitting hard vs that I was honestly thinking about a vasectomy like 5 years ago.

I make more rational purchases and balance my bank account much better. I used to live paycheck to paycheck and now I'm saving up for some property when I move in the next couple years.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I left the religion I was forcefully raised in. I dumped all my shitty friends and started my life new. Starting life over at 20 years old is hard but it has been very rewarding.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I left the religion I was forcefully raised in. I dumped all my shitty friends and started my life new. Starting life over at 20 years old is hard but it has been very rewarding.
Starting your life over at 20 may be hard, but it's way easier than starting your life over at any age after 20.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've mellowed quite a bit and stopped being so angry. On the other hand, I now have convictions. Convictions are a thing which I desperately tried to avoid 10-15 years ago. I've no doubt that in 10-15 years from now I will look back on these convictions with some mixture of nostalgia and shame. But life is change.

In some ways I've grown, in other ways regressed. I guess.

I have come to realize and accept that I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though. Of course, I can't explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "pay out" the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than anyone that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don't consult a doctor it is from spite. My liver is bad, well--let it get worse!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I used to be intelligent, confident, quick to adapt, able to learn new things quickly and easily, and generally successful at anything I tried and put my mind to. I used to be nice to everyone I met and was always willing to go out of my way to help people when I could. I looked forward to new opportunities and challenges and was optimistic about the future.

Now, everything makes me angry and frustrated. Every day I feel a little bit more stupid and it takes me forever to learn new things, if I learn them at all. I've failed at pretty much everything I've done, be it school, gaming, work, friendships. I'm scared to try new things because I'll probably fail at those too and it's too embarrassing to handle. Depression's pretty much taken over my life and I've lost almost all of my motivation and energy. I've made no progress at all in the past decade and at this point I'm not sure if it's possible to catch back up again.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I learned to drive, drink, and make terrible decisions, not necessarily all at the same time.

And mmo's lost their charm somewhat.

Desmas_sl

shitlord
Living in my parents house to living in my own condo.
Single to married.
Low 5 digit salary to low 6 digit salary.
1997 used Corolla CE to a new 2013 Audi A6 3.0T.
From playing EQ PoP to playing with my 4 year old son building RC airplanes and crashing them (unpurposely). <=Best lifechanger right there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I honestly haven't changed since I was 13. Only the stuff around me changed and the amount of knowledge I have changed.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I always knew that everyone on the internet claiming to have a vagina was lying, but now I've learned that everyone who has a penis will eventually try to turn it into a vagina.

I also grew a lot as a person, mostly around my midsection.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
The evolution has spanned more than the last decade, but I migrated from cocky and adaptive but really knows nothing to a mellow been there done that a hundred times type of confidence. I think they call that growing older.