How much income is enough?

Vinen

God is dead
I'm not sure about property taxes in the US.

Some Rough numbers for me here in Vancouver.
Property taxes are $3800 For assessed value of 1.1 Million.
I also pay $1000 for water and garbage tax
House Insurance is about $1500
Car insurance on My 2007 civic is $1450 per year. (With a 44% discount for never being in accident)

I paid $68,000 in Tax on $170,000 Income Federal (I owe more)

Gas is $1.40 per liter or $5.60 per gallon

I collect no welfare or any government subs.

Your property taxes are cheap as shit

Property taxes are ~9,000 for assessed value of ~700K
Pay ~ 400/year for water

Town just outside Boston, MA

Vinen

God is dead
9k is nuts.

Yeah. The town fucked up when they first figured out the taxes on my unit and accounted for the entire floor-space (unfinished basement). House went through a condo-conversion when the builders gutted it and built a second unit in the backyard.

Wanted to charge me 13K/year.... Nope'd into the town hall and got that fixed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Another way that you get nailed for living in a high cost of living area. Less expensive areas tend to have lower rates AND lower property values == Lower taxes. Same house in a small town vs. someplace like San Francisco costs 1/3 as much and you pay 1/3 the taxes on it. Even if your salary is twice as much, you're just breaking even if that. I remember when I was making $80k in the Bay Area living in a 1 bedroom apartment and shopping for $500K condos and my brother was making $45K in Montana and owned a 4 bedroom house with a huge yard with a mortgage that was roughly the same as my rent.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
This is going to come off as insensitive, but why the fuck are you pumping out children on that kind of income? To each their own and if you are happy then more power to you, but I would feel like I would be doing my children a disservice.

First off, we don't take any subsidies or hand outs. It is not impossible to live without them as some claim.

2 kids is not "pumping out kids", ffs one graduates before too long.

We do all the home repair we can. We buy real food, not boxed meals. We save about 6-10% each pay period. $39k is enough, we have no debt other than the mortgage, and it was after the crash so we did real good.

I'm not buying every console as it comes out or every game on steam here, and living with no bullshit payments each month is very refreshing. If I could go back 30 years and tell myself to not play that OMG get a super high paying job and new car game I would have had a much more mellow adulthood and less crow's feet now. More hair maybe too? Heh.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Wealth is relative to the wealth of people around you.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Wealth is relative to the wealth of people around you.

Only if you fall into that trap. When something like 3/4 of the country is living paycheck to paycheck the term wealth is disingenuous.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
We are a family of four on $39k. This is the happiest we have been in our lives. Property taxes keep getting worse and worse, so that sucks, but we bought right after the crash, doing well for a home price. $139k then and now is $325k. Can't sell though since we would have to move to a very rural area to live, rents are $1600 here.

We are eeking by, trying to start new projects every so often in the hopes that one hits and we can actually have a retirement or send our kids to school. IT is fun and we are happy though. 8)
Good for you. I bet you're happier than 99% of the rick fucks in this thread making >200k combined income, claiming theyre middle class, and always wishing they had more money.

Growing up my family had 9 kids (4 adopted) and a single income of 50k. I had an awesome childhood. When people tell you youre doing your kids a disservice (particularly people who dont even have kids) you should directly and clearly tell those people to go fuck themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
^^
I don't have kids, but if I did, I would heartily welcome any internet blowhard who wanted to lecture me about it to suck my nuts.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I don't know how people can lecture others on that shit. If he was like hey I make 39k with 30 kids and I can't feed them and they wear potato sacks for clothes and I want to kill myself. Maybe...

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Quit trying to make people wear potato sacks, Noodle. That's seriously one weird fetish.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Some of you guys must be way more relaxed about money than me. Its just my wife and myself and our combined is around $180k/yr and I still wish we made more money. Though that is now because we find ourselves living in an apartment seeking a house in orange county which is quite different than living in a house which was about half paid off in the midwest and only seeing about a $25k/yr bump in pay. I wouldn't say either of us worry about money and we have at least 18 months of living in the savings (which is ear marked for a house down payment obv) but it is always something in the back of our minds.

This is something else I was going to delve into, but this is also very true, it seems. I was "comfortable" making 65k a year 7 years ago with me and my wife. Even after our son, we found it pretty easy to manage.

But now my wife and I are making more than 6 times that we're worrying about money more than ever before. It's bizarre. But it seems the more you make the more you start to worry. It's certainly nothing we think about every day, but its in our minds more than it used to be.

I think it goes from (in order from poor to uber rich) scared shitless... worrying... sorta comfy... comfy ... scared shitless... worrying... sorta comfy... comfy.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure about property taxes in the US.

Lots of varying factors. Texas, for example, has insanely high property tax rates, but there is no state income tax so it kinda offsets. Some places, like New Jersey, have both a really high property tax rate, and a state income tax.

iirc, my property tax on my house I'm in now is about $8,000 with deductions ($10,500 without deductions) and it's valued around 500k. It's also in one of the lowest taxed areas in the state, at 2.03% while still getting city services. Most places in the Austin area are 2.8-3.2%.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Property taxes make no sense. I remember for shits and giggles looking at a place on Coronado when I was thinking about a NAVSEA job. Insanely expenssive island, but property tax was almost nothing.

Also parking meters...$0.25 gave you 1hr. Insanity I tell you.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Only if you fall into that trap. When something like 3/4 of the country is living paycheck to paycheck the term wealth is disingenuous.
It's not a trap, it's human psychology. If you make 500k but live around people who make 5 million you feel less happy than if you were making 50k but were surrounded but those who make 25k.

Last edited:

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's not a trap, it's human psychology. If you make 500k but live around people who make 5 million you feel less happy than if you were making 50k but we're surrounded but those who make 25k.
Make 500k, surround yourself by people that make 25k. You are extremely happy and they are extremely unhappy. Thanks again poor people

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Hubby and I make >350k together and it still feels like we're living paycheck to paycheck with mortgage and student loans, lol.