How much real money have MMOs made you?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Stave

Potato del Grande
After reading the recent topic in the WoW thread, I thought this would be an interesting thread to have. It's always been a taboo topic, but a lot of us, or people we know have cashed out at one point or another. I thought it would be fun to hear how much RL cash or RL items/favors you made from our gaming hobby, and if you want to share, what you sold and any stories behind it. Just be cautious if you still play any of these games that you don't say too much that could get you in trouble.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Around 4-5k I think (Everquest). A bard account, manastone, mask of tinkering. Half of it was from chargebacks reselling the same account though... It wasn't right of me in the least but I was so addicted to the game every time I thought I quit I had to take back the account months later. Negative karma points accumulated. Wish I could say sorry to the guys I fucked over or pay them back in some way now that I'm not dumb enough to pull that shit again.

• 4Dislike
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Gross sales probably $3000-4000 total throughout all games I've played. However, when you break that out by amount of time put in it's a HORRIBLE return on investment. People need to look at their hourly value before they brag about the money they've made. I would reckon only the top 1% of RMT'ers make an actual good amount of money.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I guess I made about 50 bucks in warframe, technically. I'd give a buddy all my purple mods because I did not give a shiiiiiiiiit about that mechanic. Then one day he just got in touch with me and dumped a shitload of plat in trade and was like, "lol.. I feel bad, take a cut".

I spent it on stuff to make my loki look turbo gay.

His game was the player market.

I did know one of those "put yourself through school" farmers in Vanilla EQ. She was farming ice goblins and making about 1k a month. A few people in my old EQ guild sold their accounts for 2-6k. Our guild leader went insane and ebayed the guild vault one time. I think he made about 10k doing it. And had to change his phone number because some of the guys would call him and threaten to kill his cat. lol.

Really unless you've got a gig making virtual dildos in second life (respect), or you're hooked into some real RMT where you work percentages, I don't think it's ever been particularly lucrative. That's why they're all asian bot farms. Overhead is low, wages are low, you make five bucks an hour and it's respectable money. Yantis obviously did VERY well. But his deal was percentages and building a reputation for not fucking you over.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sold my WoW account for $450 in WOTLK

Sold my FFXI account for several hundred dollars.. then, because I was so addicted I perused the company's website and saw it was still for sale several months later so I bought it back. SHAME.

Sold a helmet on the D3 RMAH the first day for $85

• 2Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
Myself - Back in 99/00, my brother and I shared an EQ account. We were both still minors and lived at home with the parents. Had a Wood Elf Druid at 50, and a Troll SK at level 50, with a few planes armor pieces. Ended up selling it for $1200 if I remember right. Split the cash with my brother. I ended up moving out, buying/building a new PC, and leveling a Dark Elf SK that I played through POP. Ended up selling that one, raid geared very well, for another $900 when I quit EQ. Bought a new PC with that and played FFXI for a few years. Didn't sell that account surprisingly.

Started playing WoW and led a top server guild before BWL came out. First to clear MC on my server. Had some drama happen in the guild between a couple officers one day, and the raid leader ended up breaking off and making a new guild and taking like 3/4 the raiders with him. Within the following days, most the rest left. I had too much pride to leave, I'd rather quit the game. Well turns out we still had a big ass guild bank with molten cores and all those rare MC crafting mats in there. I wasn't about to hand them over to the mutanous raid leader. So I split them up with myself and the couple remaining regular players. Ended up making alts and dumping them all off on the AH and making probably hundreds of thousands of gold back in Vanilla. I was one of the richest people on the server. I tried contacting a few gold seller sites (there were only a few main ones back then) to try to wholesale dump it off on them, but none wanted that much gold haha. So I ended up buying the first (and only at the time) Teebu's Blazing Longsword that was found on our server for a shitload of gold. I was horde, and some Alliance kid found it, so we actually had to communicate outside the game and I had to eat the big cost of the cross faction AH fee. I had that rogue, fully decked in MC raid gear, with a Teebu's. If I remember right, that was the highest damage 1h weapon in the game and BIS. Also had a hunter with Rhok'delar bow from the epic quest as my alt. Got bored of the game a little bit after BWL right before AQ, and ended up quitting. Sold that account for about $1500 and quit. During BC I started a new account, moved to a new server, and got re-addicted as everyone does. I did follow that first account though from time to time out of curiousity though. Eventually around MOP, it must have switched hands and I think it even ended up with Chinese gold farmers at one point. After MOP it sat vacant for a years. Eventually I just said screw it and reclaimed it and renamed and transferred some of the characters back to my main account for nostolgia sake.

Funniest one was I got a beta invite for ESO, and had no interest in playing. Sold the key on some site for $500 within a couple hours. Got multiple FFXIV beta weekend invites way back when. Sold those for like $75 a piece if I remember right. Made a few hundred playing Diablo 3's RMAH. Now days, I don't play hardcore enough to have a good enough character people would want to buy. But the money I made over the years definitely helped my broke ass as a teen and early 20's.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I' ve LOST money via MMOs.

Man, I'm not proud of it, but I was far too lazy to deal with the grind (got to about lvl 30 and decided I'd pay to win) so I bought a bard account in EQ. Was loaded... had epic, tink mask, manastone, the works! Turns out later on the password was changed (I assume by the owner?) and I never controlled it again. What was I going to do.. petition the GMs my bought account was hacked?

Jeez, that's like going to the cops whining that your bag of weed was stolen, y'know?

Kindly wish I could meet the sorry son of a bitch who sold me that account :mad::mad::mad:

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At least if you complained to GM's maybe they wouldve banned his account

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I' ve LOST money via MMOs.

Man, I'm not proud of it, but I was far too lazy to deal with the grind (got to about lvl 30 and decided I'd pay to win) so I bought a bard account in EQ. Was loaded... had epic, tink mask, manastone, the works! Turns out later on the password was changed (I assume by the owner?) and I never controlled it again. What was I going to do.. petition the GMs my bought account was hacked?

Jeez, that's like going to the cops whining that your bag of weed was stolen, y'know?

Kindly wish I could meet the sorry son of a bitch who sold me that account :mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like it might have been Jasker!

• 5Worf
  • 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
!

JASKER YOU SWINDLING MOTHERFUCKER... GIMME BACK MY $800 (interest + emotional damage)

• 4Worf
  • 2Like

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
!

JASKER YOU SWINDLING MOTHERFUCKER... GIMME BACK MY $800 (interest + emotional damage)

If you PM me your real life first name (not last name) and it matches with one of the people I've fucked over, I will paypal you the money immediately. All I need is a first name, I remember all the first names. IE - I don't remember any Vanessa.

Regardless of any of this - as someone who has stolen and you being a victim of it.. I genuinely and sincerely apologize. I was a younger, dumber, person and my addiction got best of me (I never had the money to buy back my account).

• 6Like

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Wow jasker is a real cocksucker. I bought my acct back like a man

Not even going to try to justify my actions but yes, I was indeed a terrible person. I'm working on turning that around and have been for a few years.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Well, you can also read the first letter of every line break of my post~

-edit- though the thought of this drama actually carrying out on a message board would be tragically funny, however (and a testament to how relatively small the active community is).

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Well, you can also read the first letter of every line break of my post~

Got it. Thanks for the tip.

These things.. You can't take them back. They stay with you forever. Not really saying anything groundbreaking. It's probably not enough punishment, but that damaged memory is a place to start.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Never sold my accounts, but I made a bit of money selling plat in EQ. Probably a few grand.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Got it. Thanks for the tip.

These things.. You can't take them back. They stay with you forever. Not really saying anything groundbreaking. It's probably not enough punishment, but that damaged memory is a place to start.
At least you have remorse.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This thread is a little disappointing so far. I know there are people who made real money, at least 10's of thousands of dollars on Everquest. There was a guy on the Tarew Marr server board named "Plat4PoP" that sold plat for years and made a real business out of it, or at least that was my impression.

I actually bought 2 accounts once. A husband and wife with like a 55 monk and a 50 druid. I really only wanted the druid to port my warrior around. I think I paid $150 for both accounts and I had them for years. Later I leveled up a cleric on the druid account on another server. Once when I was on the monk account someone sent me a tell like "Hey man, haven't seen you in a long time!" which sort of made me feel bad. I told him that I wasn't the original guy since I didn't care about that monk's rep at all.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Never sold my accounts, but I made a bit of money selling plat in EQ. Probably a few grand.

That's funny because that mostly naked 55 monk I bought was named Soygen...

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users