How much real money have MMOs made you?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Got it. Thanks for the tip.

These things.. You can't take them back. They stay with you forever. Not really saying anything groundbreaking. It's probably not enough punishment, but that damaged memory is a place to start.
Sounds like you matured and have genuine remorse with the situation... good on you! Sorry if I gave you anxiety :p trolollololol!

In all seriousness: I made $0.00 via EQ or any other game. I still have a legit manastone and elder holgresh beads on my rotting, inactive account but it feels like I've sat on those gems 15 years too long now. They're probably completely worthless to sell on the live server.

For those who made that kinda money off of EQ back in the day, I actually admire you guys in a twisted sort of way... guess I wasn't born with that "Kevin O'Leary"-esque business acumen or foresight. Back then I was just, y'know, playing and enjoying a game haha.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Never sold accounts, but did cash out on about 25 million plat in EQ when I switched over to WoW back in early omens. Would have been so much more if I had done it in PoP/LDoN era. Many thousands instead of a couple.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sounds like you matured and have genuine remorse with the situation... good on you! Sorry if I gave you anxiety :p trolollololol!

In all seriousness: I made $0.00 via EQ or any other game. I still have a legit manastone and elder holgresh beads on my rotting, inactive account but it feels like I've sat on those gems 15 years too long now. They're probably completely worthless to sell on the live server.

For those who made that kinda money off of EQ back in the day, I actually admire you guys in a twisted sort of way... guess I wasn't born with that "Kevin O'Leary"-esque business acumen or foresight. Back then I was just, y'know, playing and enjoying a game haha.
Most of the dudes that made a lot of money probably made less than minimum wage playing and then selling their characters.

My FFXI character had 700 days /played when I stopped playing..

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Most of the dudes that made a lot of money probably made less than minimum wage playing and then selling their characters.

My FFXI character had 700 days /played when I stopped playing..
Right! I see that the breakdown of hours / income was awful relative to an actual job even back then when minimum wage was... what... $5/hr? I'm more looking at it from the viewpoint of me and them doing (almost) the exact same thing but them making a few g out of it vs. me making diddly squat. The mere thought and notion never crossed my mind to say "oh, there's profit in this". That's the distinction... I'm more focused on the actual principle vs. the actual efficiency or net amount.

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
A few thousand total.

The guy that I sold my EQ main to got the account banned a year or two later so add me to the "took my account back" club.

I had the original cd keys and whatever else they required back then through support... it's rotted unused with that sweet sweet potime gear ever since (I should have resold it after reclaiming it).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Second Life fully supports people here.

That game has been out for a loooong time. Is that game still that lucrative anymore?? I know nobody who plays it. Hell, I never met anybody in my life that played that game.

Sold 2 EQ accounts for about 2k Total., Made 500 on a certain set of armor that could never be gotten again in Asheron's Call and then sold that account for 600.00. Sold my Hex, Shards of Fate account for 900.00. That was the last time I made money.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That game has been out for a loooong time. Is that game still that lucrative anymore?? I know nobody who plays it. Hell, I never met anybody in my life that played that game.

Sold 2 EQ accounts for about 2k Total., Made 500 on a certain set of armor that could never be gotten again in Asheron's Call and then sold that account for 600.00. Sold my Hex, Shards of Fate account for 900.00. That was the last time I made money.

For developers and graphic artist, there is pretty $$ to be made on L2.

Stave

Potato del Grande
She was joking. He said he sold his bard account with specific items and reclaimed it back from the buyer multiple times, leaving the buyer without an account or money. She jokingly said she bought an account with a bard with those same items he listed, and said the seller took the account back. It was just a joke I think.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
That game has been out for a loooong time. Is that game still that lucrative anymore?? I know nobody who plays it. Hell, I never met anybody in my life that played that game

I've made well into 7 figures on second life.

But for mmos about 2000 or so between ffxi and aion.

• 3Like
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 4 users

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sold my first EQ character for like $800 when I was like 15. Wasn't even max level but it was only a few months after release. ~40 Barb warior - had J-boots, Pegasus cloak, that dark elf mask, some other crap. Got the money wired to a Western Union and had to go with my mom to pick it up, she was like wtf, lul.

Sold a bunch of whatever the currency was in Anarchy Online, probably made close to $1000 doing that. Didn't bot, but found a quick repeatable mission to make bank.

Used a cartography bot in UO to make a ton of gold to sell on ebay, but it wasn't really that profitable.

Used a fishing bot in FFXI to make gil to sell on ebay. Made a few grand with that.

I think that was the last venture I had. All in all not bad for some cash during high school and college.

Edit: Oh yeah I remember my brother placed a castle north of Minoc in UO when Trammel first launched and turned around and sold that on ebay for over $1000.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I sold my EQ account when I quit in GoD for somewhere between $2,500-3,000.

Never tried to sell my WoW account although maybe I should have I think just in gold alone I have had about $10,000 worth at one time if you don't count what the account itself would of been work.

Diablo 3 which isn't really an MMO I made roughly $20k ish off the RMAH selling garbage to morons. I was selling nonstop items for $10-50 which were complete dogshit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Still blown away by this. Tried to look into it and it made such little sense to me.
I think you need a bit of skill in 3D modeling, but the most important part is to have your finger on the pulse of the degenerate furry community.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
$1 soybuck. I'm ashamed especially since I used it to get into Vanguard.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers