How stupid are you compared to your great gramps?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
wasn't there a question about President's being assassinated and JFK was included on the list?

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Swagdaddy, what answer did you get? I never liked pattern recognition tests because they always seemed ambiguous and the answers untestable. My answer would be D but I feel like without the ability to test it it's just a guess.
I got D too, each row and column has to contain one circle fully white, one top filled and one side filled. D is the only one that fill this pattern for both its column and row. Also, each row/column must have triangles left/right/bottom. Again only D fits in this scheme. Triangle colors must have w/w, and two set of w/b.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's D. There's 3 empty circles, 3 horizontally divided circles. So there should be 3 vertically divided circles. Every symbol aside from the ones along one diagonal has a white triangle in the bottom right. There's 2 with black triangles in the top right, 2 with black triangles in the bottom left, so there should be 2 with black triangles in the bottom right.

iannis

Musty Nester
The skin question fucked with me. "Name 3 uses for the skin". Then you have 2 functions and one property and an all of the above. I understand this is a highly technical internet test and I must register a complaint with the proctor: a property is not a function is not a use.

Tea_sl

shitlord
It's D. There's 3 empty circles, 3 horizontally divided circles. So there should be 3 vertically divided circles. Every symbol aside from the ones along one diagonal has a white triangle in the bottom right. There's 2 with black triangles in the top right, 2 with black triangles in the bottom left, so there should be 2 with black triangles in the bottom right.
Oh man, even something like this demonstrates how even better methods of determining intelligence can fuck up as they are still beholden to context and and expectations, and how difficult it is to measure intelligence. I looked at that stupid graph for way to long, always adding more and more complicated patterns until it became clear to me that no answer could be ascertained based on the available information. Because every time I've been subjected to those tests, they have always asked to find the pattern in a sequential left -> right pattern even when presented as a grid. I naturally set about looking for the sequential pattern and thought that I must have grown a bit dumb since I last took one of these tests. Without context for the question I tried to solve it the same way I've always been asked to solve a pattern question.

That still might make me a bit dumb for trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, but even if I quickly realized what I was doing then I would still lose time and thus my final score would be affected based on my previous experiences.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge can be a bad thing. But performance on even these very generic tests can be dramatically improved through practice and training.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
The skin question fucked with me. "Name 3 uses for the skin". Then you have 2 functions and one property and an all of the above. I understand this is a highly technical internet test and I must register a complaint with the proctor: a property is not a function is not a use.
Haha I was going to post that. I went ahead and picked all of the above because A and C were right. I guess the Internet test makers of today are not up to the standards of my grandpa's era.

I only got the first two questions wrong - but I don't think knowing what really amounts to just random trivia will help me "conceive a solution to providing food or shelter".

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
yeah i think the questions were worded oddly on purpose

also it said nixon was impeached, which he wasn't he resigned before it could happen

bad test
Of course some questions are worded oddly or misleadingly. Trick questions are an old tradition. Reading comprehension is important too, and trick questions/answers test this. In this case it didnt say he was impeached- it asked who on that list was impeached and why? Nixon was answer B. The correct answer was the one that said A and C, not All Of The Above. Nixon was ruled out as a correct answer by both fact and wording- he resigned to avoid impeachment (was the student paying attention properly, or being sloppy?) AND those were not the charges against him, they were merely what the charges related to. The actual charges were High Crimes And Misdemeanours, same as Johnson. If you thought it definitively said he was impeached, rather than merely offering it as a possible answer, then you fell for the trick and demonstrated sloppy attention to detail.

It wasnt the only trick like that- the question on horse-trading asked for a profit percentage, but 3 of the 5 possible answers were dollar amounts, not percentages, and one of the dollar amounts was a number you would arrive at partway through your calculations and might thus derail you. I personally didnt much care for the skin question either, since I have a hard time calling skin healing itself a use of skin compared to the other options, rather than an incidental function. But that may just be me.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Oh man, even something like this demonstrates how even better methods of determining intelligence can fuck up as they are still beholden to context and and expectations, and how difficult it is to measure intelligence. I looked at that stupid graph for way to long, always adding more and more complicated patterns until it became clear to me that no answer could be ascertained based on the available information. Because every time I've been subjected to those tests, they have always asked to find the pattern in a sequential left -> right pattern even when presented as a grid. I naturally set about looking for the sequential pattern and thought that I must have grown a bit dumb since I last took one of these tests. Without context for the question I tried to solve it the same way I've always been asked to solve a pattern question.

That still might make me a bit dumb for trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, but even if I quickly realized what I was doing then I would still lose time and thus my final score would be affected based on my previous experiences.
Same. I spent several minutes looking for a more complicated pattern (left to right, top to bottom, backwards forwards etc) before I realized that it was just Seppuku.