How stupid are you compared to your great gramps?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
Dismissing the ability to recall, at will, knowledge of grammar, history and literature as being part of the measure of intelligence seems self-serving. I'd think that a copy of yourself that had the ability to recall facts from a wide range of disciplines would be judged more intelligent than the original.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Knowledge is not intelligence. The two may not be totally independent of each other but having one does not mean you automatically have the other.

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
Which isn't what I wrote, but surely the ability to recall knowledge is somehow built into the concept of intelligence.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Knowledge is not intelligence. The two may not be totally independent of each other but having one does not mean you automatically have the other.
Pretty much this. The correlation between intelligence and knowledge isn't as high as these fake IQ tests might want you to think.

A better iq test question might be some dumb looking bullshit like this
13.jpg

But I'm no expert in testing methodology.

13.jpg

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Which isn't what I wrote, but surely the ability to recall knowledge is somehow built into the concept of intelligence.
The definition of intelligence is controversial. Groups of scientists have stated the following:
1.from "Mainstream Science on Intelligence" (1994), an editorial statement by fifty-two researchers:

A very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings-"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.[5]

2.from "Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns" (1995), a report published by the Board of Scientific Affairs of the American Psychological Association:

Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person's intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena. Although considerable clarity has been achieved in some areas, no such conceptualization has yet answered all the important questions, and none commands universal assent. Indeed, when two dozen prominent theorists were recently asked to define intelligence, they gave two dozen, somewhat different, definitions.[6][7]
Seems like intelligence is more about the active process of problem solving and abstract thought than recitation of knowledge.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you have to reduce it to one thing I'd recommend problem solving. Good measures of intelligence aren't aided by previous knowledge, but obviously nearly all useful solutions to problems require a great deal of knowledge before you can think intelligently about them.

The important thing is to realize that the scope of intelligence is more limited than people think and it makes it easier to understand why knowledge isn't that strongly correlated with it.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
yeah i think the questions were worded oddly on purpose

also it said nixon was impeached, which he wasn't he resigned before it could happen

bad test

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
If you have to reduce it to one thing I'd recommend problem solving. Good measures of intelligence aren't aided by previous knowledge, but obviously nearly all useful solutions to problems require a great deal of knowledge before you can think intelligently about them.

The important thing is to realize that the scope of intelligence is more limited than people think and it makes it easier to understand why knowledge isn't that strongly correlated with it.
Agree for the most part. Still synthesizing Himeo's post with yours... because I'm not talking about the knowledge, however minimal that needs to be, present to solve a problem, but the ability to recall correct information to apply to a solution.

Would you be said to be 'intelligent' if you could formulate a solution to a problem but never get the correct answer because your ability to recall data is always incorrect?

Would you be said to be 'more intelligent' if you could formulate a solution to a problem faster than someone else because you didn't have to look up data? (i know a lot of IQ tests are time dependent)

This could go on further, but I'm getting away from my original idea... which I'm thinking more likely resides in too broad a definition of intelligence.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
intelligence as someone already said is pattern recognition for the most part, I didnt know many of the history questions in that test (even though some were wrong lol) but I figured out the IQ question Tuco posted in about 20 seconds

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This test is a fairly poor measure of intelligence. A true intelligence test shouldn't have results bias based upon where you grew up. The math questions are fine, however the history questions should be replaced by logic and/or language comprehension questions. As it is someone with 100 IQ who was educated in England would be trounced by someone of 100 IQ that was educated in the US.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Agree for the most part. Still synthesizing Himeo's post with yours... because I'm not talking about the knowledge, however minimal that needs to be, present to solve a problem, but the ability to recall correct information to apply to a solution.

Would you be said to be 'intelligent' if you could formulate a solution to a problem but never get the correct answer because your ability to recall data is always incorrect?

Would you be said to be 'more intelligent' if you could formulate a solution to a problem faster than someone else because you didn't have to look up data? (i know a lot of IQ tests are time dependent)

This could go on further, but I'm getting away from my original idea... which I'm thinking more likely resides in too broad a definition of intelligence.
Recalling knowledge is important to problem solving, yeah. A lot of standardized tests stress your ability to recall knowledge by having you read some bullshit fiction story and then asking you questions about it. This tests your ability to decipher information in text also, but having the ability to recall the story easily makes it much easier. I don't know how many real IQ tests use this though.

Swagdaddy, what answer did you get? I never liked pattern recognition tests because they always seemed ambiguous and the answers untestable. My answer would be D but I feel like without the ability to test it it's just a guess.

Blide_sl

shitlord
I think a high intelligence in history would be seeing all these connections in historical events. Something like would be rather difficult to demonstrate, particularly on a test like this. I think the only place you could really demonstrate a talent like that would be in academia since you just can't parrot someone else's ideas.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

I think you're still confusing the ability to store and recall information with Intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Peek. Would you call that man intelligent? He only scored 87 in an IQ test. He could destroy this entire board combined with his recollection of facts but I'm not entirely sure he should be called intelligent in the classical sense since he couldn't function in life on his own and outside his amazing breadth of stored knowledge he was up shit creek.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...arvardexam.pdf

The Harvard entrance exam from the late 1800s.

Good luck!

The New York Times recently unearthed a Harvard entrance exam from 1899, and man, is it ugly. The text spans three major disciplines?classical languages, history and math?and requires its victims to jump through flaming hoops in topics like Greek Composition, Random-Ass Geography, and Hard Numbers. Take, for instance:

[in Logarithms and Trigonometry] 9. Find by logarithms, using arithmetical complements, the value of the following:
[(0.02183)2 x (7)2/5]/[?(0.0046) x 23.309]

Remember, folks, there were no calculators in 1899. Nor, apparently, was there mercy.
[In History and Geography] VI. Leonidas, Pausanias, Lysander.
They probably were able to use slide rules and maybe even logarithmic tables.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
9/10, missed one the math's because I didn't feel like getting off my ass to get a paper/pencil...'bought a horse for 150, which was 80% of of true value, what percent gain if sold at 20% above true value'

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok so click the link and start the test and it states the following:
rrr_img_12285.jpg

So these are questions from 1931 and 1912

rrr_img_12286.jpg

rrr_img_12287.jpg

Which include future Presidents not yet born. I had no idea tests back then asked such crazy questions. Which President will be assassinated in 2073?

rrr_img_12285.jpg

rrr_img_12286.jpg

rrr_img_12287.jpg