How would you re-socialize MMOs?

Nitsude_sl

shitlord
Looking back at classic EverQuest, almost everything you could wear was crap (except for what dropped off raid mobs). There were, however, those very rare tradeable items that everyone knew by name. If nothing else, I'd like to see that re-introduced.

Having amazing tradeable items fostered conversation, and many times grouping to obtain those items.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
This. If people would clean the splooge off their rose tinted glasses, they could see that even in EQ1, people looked for ways to cut out players (quad kites, multiboxing, exploits). Half the people I knew just played on their playstation during downtime.

Anything "forced" is going to alienate people. Players need to WANT to do something. Trying to be a MMO-hipster, much like other hipsters, is a path to failure.
I agree. The only reason it worked was because MMOs were new and awesome at the time and there were no real alternatives. I think one key design objective for a social MMO would be to invent profitable ways for players with different levels of skill and dedication to work together towards a common goal. This is one thing that is definitely absent in WoW.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Create an MMO with dated, tedious mechanics. Make sure your population is only 13-18 year olds who are new to the internet and the entire concept of online gaming.

You have re-socialized the MMO and created a new rose colored glasses generation in 10 years.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Nothing stops people from socializing in current games, its the fact they choose not too.
Yea that's true enough I suppose. But there are players like me who are total social retards and will never socialize unless given an excuse. It's not because I don't WANT to... Because I enjoy talking to people in game. But I can do everything from my GH so I am never in a situation where I'm standing around with a bunch o' other players. That's why I really liked the PQs in EQ2, b/c we stood around waiting for the event to begin and it was easy to strike up a convo with people.
WOULD socializing in game more keep me logging in?? For me, probably yes b/c I would make more in-game friends and friends would keep me logging in. Because friends need help and friends offer help. So when I get stuck, I can throw a txt to so and so and get a group together blah blah vice versa. I feel obligated to log in and help my friend(s).

Slow down regen so mana efficiency becomes important again and gives people time to chat.
I was just saying this last night.. I remember conversations happening during mana regen. But yea, now it's unheard of.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I was just saying this last night.. I remember conversations happening during mana regen. But yea, now it's unheard of.
I know I say this in every other post... but the strangest thing to me about the whole "EQ was super tedious" is that yeah I agree, it took tedium too far. But all the modern games there ZERO downtime. Mana barely even gets used in a fight and even when it does, it regens to full in like 5 seconds after. (GW2 did away with mana completely) So there is NO downtime at all now. Success for those who want none stop action, but it's a nail in the coffin for chatting. Some game just needs to go right down the middle. Bring back downtime, but just make it 30 seconds to a minute instead of 5 minutes. That's what I'd do anyway. But who am I?! I only play the games
tongue.png

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I know I say this in every other post... but the strangest thing to me about the whole "EQ was super tedious" is that yeah I agree, it took tedium too far. But all the modern games there ZERO downtime. Mana barely even gets used in a fight and even when it does, it regens to full in like 5 seconds after. (GW2 did away with mana completely) So there is NO downtime at all now. Success for those who want none stop action, but it's a nail in the coffin for chatting. Some game just needs to go right down the middle. Bring back downtime, but just make it 30 seconds to a minute instead of 5 minutes. That's what I'd do anyway. But who am I?! I only play the games
tongue.png
I play my own server EQemulator and I LOVE the downtime. Just last night I broke the Captains room in Blackburrow and had a good 5-6 minutes to relax, smoke a cig, piss, and chat with my wife. It didn't bother me in the least. I loved it.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can't believe i'm going to say this but why not. Create a game where the endgame or raiding is not the initial goal. Tell people it will be in an expansion. Make a fun game, people will play a fun game even if there is no end goal. I played Skyrim and the last 3 GTA games without finishing them, and i played for a long time. Minecraft anyone?
To make it more social, make certain actions codependent. I guess i am saying forced grouping, but it doesn't have to sound so harsh. Making people group with acheivements and social media is not the only way to go.Use the enviroment to funnel them all together. Use buying and selling, exploring, crafting, and other things already in MMO's but made too easy as they stand today.

I think what i am saying is pretty basic and simple but overlooked. Do not make a WOW clone, based on a gimmick and endgame. Make a game based on creating and exploring and socializing. The last 10 MMO's were games on rails designed and marketed to rush you to the endgame and whatever the games Gimmick was(raids, RVR, Rifts, whatever.)

Honestly, i do not understand how so many quality single player games are made and these multiplayer games are shit with all that money spent on them.
Seriously, just make a good game and leave all the big ideas behind, don't recreate the wheel. As others have said, i would love if Eq next was just a modern version of everquest with the same cities,races and classes with modern graphics and mechanics.
I played the remake of UFO defense last year and it was brilliant. Sure Apples and Oranges, but you can convert an old game into a modern classic.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I think tuning down the ADD button smashing would go a long way toward re-socializing MMOs. You don't have time to chat with folks when you have to be constantly mashing shit. To me, that is the huge difference between EQ and WoW/all that came after...in early EQ, you had time to chat because you weren't smashing a million buttons every second or worrying about getting your rotation just right.

That slow combat turns off most everyone these days though, people want to play the game and not hit autoattack and chat. So it is a dead issue. I do believe it is a large reason why community in MMOs has degraded, though.
this is actually pretty accurate, i remember in eq1 giving all my bard friends a pass on not chatting a lot because they had to be doing their song rotation thing, and we got it, but meanwhile all the rest of us were chatterboxes. In EQ2 you did have to be mashing buttons to make it look good on the parse, and on my main toon illy or my alt swash, I felt like I didnt have time to talk in groups, let alone raids.

Cybsled

Just last night I broke the Captains room in Blackburrow and had a good 5-6 minutes to relax,smoke a cig...
You know, I wonder...all of you that say you love the long downtime in old MMOs, how many of you smoke? That would explain a lot.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
EQ2 at release, is a game I think of as having the right balance between soloing and grouping. Every zone had some areas for solo mobs and solo questing, but your best bet for leveling was always group grinding mobs overland or crawling contested dungeons. You had the ability to progress while you were LFG, but it was much better grouping. Where they messed up was having a game that ran like shit and the fact that socializing in a group is impossible when the game has you playing DDR on your keyboard with 50 abilities.

People do socialize in MMO's today, it's just mostly while they are sitting in town waiting for something to happen with the people in their guild channel. You can't have the same server wide social atmosphere of an EQ1 in a game where classes need to be constantly moving and chaining abilities while they fight against heavily scripted encounters with one-shot group/raid wipe mechanics.

But if a game was released where groups could grind xp without moving around a lot and classes could all be played effectively with several seconds between using skills, we would just all complain that it was some boring jap grinder.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Yea it's a good point about smoking. I was a heavy pot smoker in early EQ, so every big fight lead to a good long downtime which was my perfect opportunity to roll a joint and smoke it and then hurry back for the next fight. Hence me smoking about 4 joins an hour and doing myself no good
tongue.png

I don't smoke any more but nowadays I can alt tab and do something or just wait in the game and chat or whatever. But whatever, I still say that at least some downtime is essential, otherwise there is no consequence to over extending and unloading all your most powerful stuff. If you are then forced to wait 1 minute or suffer death by being out of mana, then it makes everything matter more, everything more scary, every pull count, and playing efficiently count. I don't need it to be 5 minutes though, even 1 or 2 minutes would be fine by me. But there's gotta be something.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Assuming that the OP isn't trolling the waters, I'll bite.

MMOs are quite social. The issue is that it isn't the -same- type of social behavior that existed during the "old days." This is largely due to things like Facebook, Smartphones, voicechat, and social media in general. Back in "the day" it was primarily AOL chatrooms, AIM/other messangers, and EQ. Bulletin boards and forums weren't new but weren't super widely used, and voice chat was non-existent. Social media largely meant your forum/board presence as opposed to your tweets/fbupdates/et al.

To add what early players believe the word "social" means back into mmos, you have to regress progress in several technological areas to achieve similar results. Not to mention narrowing the mmo market down to just a couple of quality titles that actually work occasionally.

As has been stated before by others, including myself, the people that tend to crave forced socialization are people that are not naturally social themselves. I haven't really experienced this lack of socializing that others have, because I tend to talk a lot in chat/voice while playing games, regardless of the group paradigm. People who are not normally social, unless forced, will not socialize in most mmos. Which is why you end up with all the silent Sallies and shit when you do dungeon finder groups. They just want to finish and gain rewards; they do not want to socialize. This is little different from the quiet players in EQ that only occasionally responded to people. The difference being that instead of being forced to socialize to progress (largely endgame+) they have the option to play however they want.

Honestly, to "re-socialize" mmos, you should just add a box to dungeon finders et al. This box tells people you are in it just for loot (speed run box or something) and not up for conversation. This way, people who don't have the box checked, will find people who want to chat occasionally in the random dungeons more than they will just get groups full of anti-social people or people who don't want to talk. You can't restrict people as much in this market as you could in the good old days. You gotta have options.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I can get behind this. Adebisi voted for President of the United MMO's of America (NO JAPS)
What about hot aussie/jap females?

Question for ya'll

Does an mmorpg game exist like this:

No levels. Your gear is what makes your character stronger.
Permadeath. You die your corpse is lootable.

I'm thinking MMORPG DayZ style here. Massive uninstanced world. You start with nothing but your spells and skills. HP/Mana/armor/SP would be garbage because you'd have shit gear to basically just cover your dick, ass, and tits. You go out and kill mobs or other players for their gear or scour the world for mats to craft gears and weapons. If you die, your corpse is free to loot by other players and you start over with nothing.

Is this a thing already? I'd play it.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Not really. There are some minecraft servers like that, and some player run Neverwinter Nights modules and stuff like Ultima Online emulators which are sort of close.

But no real games are that quite that bold. DayZ needs time to fester and then maybe some people in the games industry will wake up and realise that actually, not every gamer is a whiny little tart. The finished DayZ standalone has a good chance of changing things for the better.