Hunting Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Pro cheat, get some beef fat from the locker to mix back in if grinding burger.

Our processor actually grinds up beef brisket to mix with the burger. I think he does 2 lbs of deer to 1 lb beef. He calls it a 50% mix, which I initially thought meant 1 to 1. But he explained it to me a couple years ago that it means the brisket is 50% of the weight of the deer meat.

I remember my dad teaching me that it's better to lose some meat than to leave any of the deer fat. I don't think I've ever actually tasted deer fat.

That infected shoulder sounds disgusting. How did the rest of the meat turn out?

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
Our processor actually grinds up beef brisket to mix with the burger. I think he does 2 lbs of deer to 1 lb beef. He calls it a 50% mix, which I initially thought meant 1 to 1. But he explained it to me a couple years ago that it means the brisket is 50% of the weight of the deer meat.

I remember my dad teaching me that it's better to lose some meat than to leave any of the deer fat. I don't think I've ever actually tasted deer fat.

That infected shoulder sounds disgusting. How did the rest of the meat turn out?
Rest of the meat turned out great. We grilled his and my backstraps for the giant family Christmas dinner. Did some summer sausage and jerky with much of the trim.

410860504_2622728671224812_6144053456369775069_n.jpg
Capture.JPG

• 5Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
If you need to dispose of a deer carcass you should call your local game warden and ask him if they could use it. I came across a buck a couple years ago that was abandoned or just not found by whoever shot it and called the Forest Service ranger that I knew who worked that area to let him know. Showed him where it was, meat was a little too far gone to harvest for human consumption but he took it away and did something with it.

I know up north in Montana and Idaho they will sometimes get roadkills and feed to the bears/wolves in random locations so they don't get accustomed to one spot. I once got to hang out with Montana FWP's chief wolf biologist and he showed us footage from one of those feeding sites and it was a single wolverine chasing off a grizzly and 3 or 4 wolves. It was fucking wild. Nothing will fuck with a wolverine.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
At my parents place in MS they end up with a couple of dead deer in the yard every year. They live on 2.5 acres and it's between a river and a lake. Guessing the deer are traveling and get hit by a car or whatever. They call the game warden office in town 15 minutes away and they come pick it up. No telling the deer was there before they noticed it while out in the yard one day.

When I was in AK they kept a long list of people who could come out and haul off and eat a road kill like a moose or whatever. Low income natives and what not. 1996 I killed what would have been the largest buck in Sabine county Texas with my truck. It would have still been eligible for the big game awards banquet but I broke the skull plate and no good spread measurement. I dropped my friend off at his house after we went to a Ducks Unlimited banquet. The deer ran down the road that came out of his deer lease. The same lease he told me didn't have any deer worth a shit on it. At night I had just left his house. I turned around and made him help me load up the deer. I screwed the two halves of the skull plate together onto a wood deal and gave it to him as a reminder.

If you called where I live no idea what they would tell you. I've hit a number of deer with my truck. Peel them out of the grille guard or out of the ditch and take them home and take care of them.

Gonna post some older pics I came across today. Things I killed when I first moved here 30 plus years ago, One from the back porch and the hog shot from the back door. Both basically in the same place.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I blocked my face out because I posted it somehwere else earlier. The downside is it really made it to where I have to travel to "hunt" instead of just kill. Friend came at 2am an hour to help me get the hog up, same friend I killed the deer off his lease. The tractor wouldn't crank or I would have used the front loader. Hog is best hog, .30-06 behind the ear and out between the eyes. Dead right there. It was the first hog I saw there and pretty sure some idiot brought them in to hunt. I stopped doing anything after a while other than shoot and haul off with the tractor. I'm 6'-1 for reference and very thin especially 30 years ago. I'm 195 now.

deer1.jpg

hog4.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users