Hunting Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Found this pic recently. Bosque county Texas. My deer on the left. I am not in the pic. The guy on the left is now a TX game warden and appears on the TV show Texas Law from time to time. Opening morning. Been a few years lol.

Attachments

• Randolph.jpg
    Randolph.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think modern ones are allowed. These are the rules. Might mean more to you than they do to me.

Those rules allow modern muzzleloaders except during the heritage season. they specifically bar inline muzzle loaders for that rule and that's the distinguishing feature of a modern muzzle loader.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Those rules allow modern muzzleloaders except during the heritage season. they specifically bar inline muzzle loaders for that rule and that's the distinguishing feature of a modern muzzle loader.

Okay. I've never seen, let alone shot a muzzle loader so I'll take your word for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Those rules also seem to bar copper jacketed lead since they specify lead.

This is what my brother in law uses during powder season for a bullet

"Plain Lead" is kind of weird wording. I'm not sure anyone actually uses 100% lead. Usually it's a mixture of tin or something else. When casting your own, plumbers lead is about as good as you can get, and it's 98%. People who cast for reloading cartridges will use 90% or lower lead.

I wouldn't use them but I also wouldn't be surprised if copper jacketed lead bullets were perfectly legal. They're certainly banned in cali on the basis of them being lead. But the one you linked looks like it's a 100% copper cali compliant round and wouldn't be allowed.

Goatface

was wondering is it normal to call coyotes, dogs? local place had a hunt and referred to them as dogs. Never seen that before.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
It's already been a great year in the woods. My dog is figuring out grouse and the weather has been ridiculous. I'll get 2 more days before deer season starts.
IMG_20221023_105426.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
IMG_1154.jpeg

Buck my old man shot, ~200 lbs, think he said it's a 9 point.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Sad news to report. I'm really pissed off. Buddies and I went hunting just before christmas and got 3 huge does. We always keep the meat on ice for a week or 2 to get the blood out before taking it to the processor. We took it immediately the first year we hunted together and the meat was gamey, so we've been doing the ice and drain treatment for 10-15 years. This year though, a few days ago I noticed an odor. It wasn't really bad, but it was a new odor so I took it to the processor and they told me that smell was rotting meat. It's not the rotting smell I've smelled before because this was cold, but it was definitely rotting and spoiled. I would describe it as kind of sweet, sort of like hay. My wife said it was yeasty.

Talked to the processors about what happened, and naturally the first thing they said was that I should have brought it within a few days. yeah yeah yeah, as professionals I respect their opinion, but icing and draining makes the meat taste better and has been working for 10+ years so that can't be it. So one of them asked if one was gutshot. With a gutshot you have to be clean the guts really good to get rid of that bacteria. I don't think any were gut shot. 2 were shot in the head, one was shot in the shoulder and it took out the lungs and heart, but I don't remember the guts being punctured. Even if they were, we do hose all the meat off before it goes in the cooler. However, that last deer had some bloodshot meat. I was wondering if I should cut it off because I knew I'd been told that meat would never taste good. Well, the guy told me that was the problem. Bloodshot meat needs to be cut off immediately because it will promote spoilage. I was a little pissed so I might have misunderstood his explanation, but it had something to do with the blood being instantly coagulated, which meant it would never drain out properly, and I assume became a breeding ground for bad bacteria.

Anyway, I'm only posting this as a warning to others. In case you're like me and maybe knew bloodshot meat was bad, but didn't realize it could spoil the rest of your meat.

Now I have to get rid of the meat. I asked the processor if I could throw it in his dumpster for a fee and he said no because if the game warden came buy he'd be looking at potentially 3 wanton waste tickets. WTF, so now on top of losing my meat I have to worry about a fishcop trying to give me a ticket? Hopefully that shit only applies to professional processors.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Now I have to get rid of the meat. I asked the processor if I could throw it in his dumpster for a fee and he said no because if the game warden came buy he'd be looking at potentially 3 wanton waste tickets. WTF, so now on top of losing my meat I have to worry about a fishcop trying to give me a ticket? Hopefully that shit only applies to professional processors.

I don't know from state to state but in Montana you can absolutely be cited for wasting game as a hunter. I even reported some people once for leaving a whole deer behind and they actually tracked them down and fined them even though they were back in Illinois by then.

I have a friend who processes game and he says a pretty good percentage of out of state hunters that come in don't want the meat but since it's illegal to throw it away they bring it to a processor and "donate" it. They have a list of people who have told them they would take meat and they go down the list and the first person who picks up the phone gets it. It's a smoking deal for the people who get it, they get free venison cut, wrapped, and frozen at the hunter's expense. They also give some to the local food bank I believe.

Got any dogs? Know any sheep ranchers? If they have guard dogs they will make short work of some slightly spoiled deer meat. If you don't have a use for it, the safe thing to do would be to call the fish and game office and ask them what to do with it.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't know from state to state but in Montana you can absolutely be cited for wasting game as a hunter. I even reported some people once for leaving a whole deer behind and they actually tracked them down and fined them even though they were back in Illinois by then.

I have a friend who processes game and he says a pretty good percentage of out of state hunters that come in don't want the meat but since it's illegal to throw it away they bring it to a processor and "donate" it. They have a list of people who have told them they would take meat and they go down the list and the first person who picks up the phone gets it. It's a smoking deal for the people who get it, they get free venison cut, wrapped, and frozen at the hunter's expense. They also give some to the local food bank I believe.

Got any dogs? Know any sheep ranchers? If they have guard dogs they will make short work of some slightly spoiled deer meat. If you don't have a use for it, the safe thing to do would be to call the fish and game office and ask them what to do with it.

Well yeah i understand wanton waste, but shooting a deer and leaving it lay is nothing like having it spoil through ignorance or equipment failures. If they were that strict on it, it could be a wanton waste charge if you don't track the deer down quick enough and it spoils in the field.

We considered feeding it to our dogs but I couldn't find anything solid about how bad spoiled meat would be for them. Every hit I got was for raw deer meat, and we are willing to cook it first. Also, dogs are dumb and will eat shit that will make them sick. I'd rather try to give some to my cat first and if she eats it, let the dogs have it. Cats are smart enough to be picky eaters.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Only pansy assed city dogs will get sick from it. Country dogs that are used to scavenging can eat the most horrendous shit imaginable and they do it with gusto. If your dog has lived his life on an all dog food diet though, he will definitely puke and shit all over the house from something like that.

EDIT: I'm glad my 14,000th post was on such a high minded topic!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah in Michigan you’ll be cited too, ignorance of what happened (depending on the warden)can cover you from a fine in some cases but no processor would ever risk letting anyone dispose of meat as game, wardens have heard every excuse in the world.

Usually what I do after I shoot mine and hang them in the garage and let them drain for about four days. Usually it’s below freezing so not a big deal this year. However, it hasn’t been below freezing yet. I was only able to let them hang for two days before cutting it apart to allow them to drain an extra day in a cooler with ice. I’ve been warned about the bloodshot issues but I’ve never had any myself. Sorry to hear you did.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah in Michigan you’ll be cited too, ignorance of what happened (depending on the warden)can cover you from a fine in some cases but no processor would ever risk letting anyone dispose of meat as game, wardens have heard every excuse in the world.

Usually what I do after I shoot mine and hang them in the garage and let them drain for about four days. Usually it’s below freezing so not a big deal this year. However, it hasn’t been below freezing yet. I was only able to let them hang for two days before cutting it apart to allow them to drain an extra day in a cooler with ice. I’ve been warned about the bloodshot issues but I’ve never had any myself. Sorry to hear you did.

yeah the dream is to be able to hang them for a few days. That's way better than icing, but we can't do it. We hunt for a weekend at a buddies place that's hours away and nobody has a walk in cooler. We're in the south so it's usually not cold enough to keep meat out unless you have a walk in cooler. The processor has a suitable cooler, but he's too busy and can't just keep our meat in there for a week before processing it.

I was watching a hunting show once years ago where they talked about basically dry aging in your cooler. The key is to not let the meat get wet but I can't remember how they accomplished that. If you bagged the meat, the blood wouldn't drain so that's not it.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And just today some gimp handed cripple duck comes into the office bitching about no snow because the buck he shot had ticks and he had to put that in the ground...... fucking bumkins

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
And just today some gimp handed cripple duck comes into the office bitching about no snow because the buck he shot had ticks and he had to put that in the ground...... fucking bumkins

hmm. Never heard of that. I assume the worry is lyme disease?

Is that a legitimate concern?

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sad news to report. I'm really pissed off. Buddies and I went hunting just before christmas and got 3 huge does. We always keep the meat on ice for a week or 2 to get the blood out before taking it to the processor. We took it immediately the first year we hunted together and the meat was gamey, so we've been doing the ice and drain treatment for 10-15 years. This year though, a few days ago I noticed an odor. It wasn't really bad, but it was a new odor so I took it to the processor and they told me that smell was rotting meat. It's not the rotting smell I've smelled before because this was cold, but it was definitely rotting and spoiled. I would describe it as kind of sweet, sort of like hay. My wife said it was yeasty.

Talked to the processors about what happened, and naturally the first thing they said was that I should have brought it within a few days. yeah yeah yeah, as professionals I respect their opinion, but icing and draining makes the meat taste better and has been working for 10+ years so that can't be it. So one of them asked if one was gutshot. With a gutshot you have to be clean the guts really good to get rid of that bacteria. I don't think any were gut shot. 2 were shot in the head, one was shot in the shoulder and it took out the lungs and heart, but I don't remember the guts being punctured. Even if they were, we do hose all the meat off before it goes in the cooler. However, that last deer had some bloodshot meat. I was wondering if I should cut it off because I knew I'd been told that meat would never taste good. Well, the guy told me that was the problem. Bloodshot meat needs to be cut off immediately because it will promote spoilage. I was a little pissed so I might have misunderstood his explanation, but it had something to do with the blood being instantly coagulated, which meant it would never drain out properly, and I assume became a breeding ground for bad bacteria.

Anyway, I'm only posting this as a warning to others. In case you're like me and maybe knew bloodshot meat was bad, but didn't realize it could spoil the rest of your meat.

My brother shot a nice buck this year, we ended up throwing one of the hind quarters away because of previous gunshot/injury. It was rotting and full of puss.

We do the same thing here, hang in the garage a few days before processing to let all the blood drain (cold state, so it easy to keep it between 30-40f). Other tips, cut off as much of the fat as possible, deer fat is more like goat fat than beef fat, the fat will make it gamey. Pro cheat, get some beef fat from the locker to mix back in if grinding burger.

• 2Like