Hunting Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Did you cook some up and eat it right away? I haven't done that in years. The people I used to hunt with would do that. First deer killed was camp meat. There were always at least a dozen of us at the camp. When I was with my uncle, he'd cut out the backstrap right away and my aunt would have it chicken fried by the time we got done cleaning the deer.
I spent all day hauling it out, then had a 2.5 hour drive home. I was exhausted and threw a small piece of tenderloin on the grill before I passed out. I did however have chicken fried backstrap and eggs for breakfast. God tier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Serious? It's still under a tarp in the garage and I don't know wtf to do with it.

Yeah. You might want to boil it since it's sat before skinning it. Once the skin is off you just stick it into a fire ant Hill. Lol

Was going to buy some beetles etc to do mine and the forestry guys I was talking to suggested the fire ants. They are pretty country so I trust it will work.

FYI, skinning a head is fucking gruesome. But only took me about 20 minutes.

Then you just need the bleaching agent and mount it.

I've got mine frozen waiting for warmer weather.

And put a tub etc over it when it's on the fire ant Hill, with a weight on top so something doesn't run off with it.

Coyote might use it as a chew toy

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Yeah. You might want to boil it since it's sat before skinning it. Once the skin is off you just stick it into a fire ant Hill. Lol

Was going to buy some beetles etc to do mine and the forestry guys I was talking to suggested the fire ants. They are pretty country so I trust it will work.

FYI, skinning a head is fucking gruesome. But only took me about 20 minutes.

Then you just need the bleaching agent and mount it.

I've got mine frozen waiting for warmer weather.

And put a tub etc over it when it's on the fire ant Hill, with a weight on top so something doesn't run off with it.

Coyote might use it as a chew toy
Watching Euro mount vids on youtube right now. I'm in the burbs and don't have any fire ant mounds going in the yard at the moment.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Serious? It's still under a tarp in the garage and I don't know wtf to do with it.

Chain or tie it down to something or something will run off with it while it rots and gets eaten by ants or whatever. Don't forget to go thru the lower jaw if you want the jawbone on your euro mount.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
163lb hanging weight. Still need to get some horns but I was pretty happy with this.
41EC90E1-5F90-49AF-A659-746096B6BD17.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Afaik shotgun hunters shoot them in the head too. Lol

Going to try turkey hunting for the first time this year. Have at least two nests of them on our land. Flocks. Whatever. Lol

Supposed to be really hard to hunt.

Turkey Hunting is easy...or at least it is for me, they are all over where I go. I don't even need to call them in.

Word to the wise though, wild turkey tastes like shit. When I shoot them I make them into dog treats.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Turkey Hunting is easy...or at least it is for me, they are all over where I go. I don't even need to call them in.

Word to the wise though, wild turkey tastes like shit. When I shoot them I make them into dog treats.

What is this madness

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It does taste awful. I prefer a good rye whiskey when I'm in the mood for brown water. But even if I want corn likker, wild turkey is the last bottle I'll grab. It's like the Cuervo of whiskey. Rotgut. Only reason anyone drinks it is because it's cheap and poor people like to get wasted too.

Or so I'm told. I don't associate with poors.

• 1Solidarity

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I have about a dozen turkeys that live just up the hill from me, about once a day they walk by my house. cannot HUNT in the city though, it is illegal.

picked up one of the new Trophyline ambush pro hunting saddles( Trophyline Ambush Pro Tree Saddle ) and it might (cross fingers) arrive in time for saturday's field trip to the forest otherwise i am using the climbing harness and modified sit drag saddle combo setup i currently have. i will probably be the only bow hunter in the forest, everyone else will have a shotgun.
(shotgun season started monday) i have the stamps for archery season, shotgun and primitive firearms so i can bowhunt until new years eve. (i will be applying for my gun permit in a few weeks after i take the required gun safety course)

edit: tracking on the trophyline saddle says it will arrive friday, So, it looks like i should have it for Saturday. will post a review on it and saddle hunting in general....plus if i have a chance a video of me actually using it in the field.

Last edited:

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Weather delayed the saddle(fucking ups no update besides "weather delay" -and today was Sunny all day-the saddle is 5 miles from my house and a fucking ups truck delivered 2 packages to my neighbor this afternoon was my package on it...noooop). It didn't show up today either, but once I get it...will post

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My area has a surplus of the feathery varmints.. enough that Imo they will be a nuisance.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ones that are used to people you can just shoot. Ones that are out in the real woods are tough because they have very good eyesight. Better than most game animals. You have to camo up and call them in. Sneaking up on them is almost impossible. Plenty of people get them by just driving up to a "tame" flock though, which is fine with me. They can definitely be a nuisance. One of my neighbors had a stack of barley hay big round bales utterly destroyed by them a few winters ago and it wasn't a small stack either. It was kind of amazing watching it slowly melt away as the winter went on. Surprising that they can do that much damage to it.

A hunter gave me some smoked wild turkey jerky this fall that was awesome. Almost makes me want to buy a tag and shoot one.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, smoked its decent, it covered up the main taste of it.

When I was younger we would hunt them. Put up a cloth camo tarp from tree to tree and call them in with box calls and eventually the ones that you use in under your tongue (not a fan but they free up your hands). I still don't think it's super hard, but its certainly is very time-consuming to call them in.

And yeah they are a damn nuisance for sure. My parents can't plant grass seed because of the assholes.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Initial Impression video of the Saddle..don't mind the portrait mode, was using a ball vice to hold my phone.

https://youtu.be/_mZ3GIzLdRo

Thoughts. it looks good, i did put it on after i did the video and walked around the house and within a few minutes i forgot i was wearing the thing. the noisy buckle after it is secured is completely silent. the saddle weighs maybe a pound and a half-unloaded. I jumped up and down and jogged in place a bit and the belt held the saddle firmly in place with no sliding down. i did move the linesman bag to the opposite side cuz i am left handed, but i like it considering it is about 50 dollars less than the mantis and 100 less than the kestral/flex...it fit my budget better.

if anyone asks that 2x4 contraption on the left in the video with the rug is my home made bow holder and i use the bow medic bow press with ultimate limb brackets to press the bow, to work on the cams and string.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Old boss and I spent 4 days hunting axis down in south Texas... I nabbed a few smaller females, boss got this big fecker after 3 shots. 246 lbs, for reference boss is 6’6 270. Fun hunt, great eating

1576032646472.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users