hyperloop

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
alpha design reveal for a "fifth mode" of public transport designed by elon musk (spacex guy) in just over an hour. he isn't going to build it right away but will open source the design if anyone else wants to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

Elon Musk to outline 'Hyperloop' idea
By Jonathan Amos Science correspondent, BBC News

US entrepreneur Elon Musk is expected to give more details later of his supersonic "Hyperloop" concept to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.

The SpaceX and Tesla founder has teased audiences with titbits of information about the rapid transit idea, which he claims could make the 380-mile (610km) journey in "about half an hour".

It seems to involve sending passengers through a tube in capsules.

Mr Musk says Hyperloop could be built for less than a conventional rail link.

The current proposed 130mph (210km/h) high-speed train connection between LA and San Francisco is unnecessarily expensive and underwhelming in ambition, he has complained.

"I originally started thinking about [Hyperloop] when I read about California's high-speed rail project which was somewhat disappointing," he told a Google Hangout with Richard Branson last week.

"It's actually worse than taking the plane. I get a little sad when things are not getting better in the future.

"Another example would be like the Concorde being retired and the fact there is no supersonic passenger transport. I think that is sad. You want the future to be better than the past, or at least I do."

Mr Musk claims Hyperloop would be a practical solution for city pairs separated by 1,000 miles (1,600km) or less. Beyond this distance, it would be better to take a plane, he explained.

But for the shorter distance, his new concept would beat the plane, he argues, because it would not waste time ascending and descending.

"It does involve a tube but not a vacuum tube? not frictionless but very low friction," is all he will add.
Tube system

The speculation is that Mr Musk is thinking of some kind of "rail gun". This would see passengers sit in cars that were then fired down a tube which had had most of its air removed. A system of magnets would accelerate and brake the capsules, and also keep them from touching the sides of the tube.

"You want a transport system that is roughly twice as fast as the next best alternative, that costs less, that is safer, that is not subject to weather and is more convenient," Mr Musk said.

"If there were such a thing, I think most people would take it. In fact, it would increase the travel between the city pairs because of the increased convenience."
Segway The hype is reminiscent of the pre-launch publicity for the Segway

Whatever Mr Musk proposes, people are sure to sit up and take notice.

The entrepreneur made his fortune with the internet payment system PayPal before switching his skills into developing the new Falcon rocket system for Nasa and the Tesla electric car. He is also a big investor in solar energy in California.

"[Hyperloop] is quite an old science fiction idea but Elon Musk is the sort of man who could make it work," commented physicist Martin Archer from Imperial College London, UK

"He's the guy who made electric cars go fast with Tesla, which many people didn't think would be possible; and he's the head of SpaceX which is the only commercial rocket builder that has managed to hook up with the International Space Station."

The pre-announcement hype that surrounds Hyperloop is reminiscent of the speculation that ran ahead of the unveiling of the Segway scooter in 2001.

Back then, the media was full of stories about a project that could "revolutionise personal transportation". The two-wheeled, self-balancing device was certainly innovative and found an eager market, but it has remained a niche product.

Mr Musk says he is so busy with SpaceX and Tesla that he will not immediately try to develop Hyperloop himself. Only if no-one else picks up the challenge will he consider attempting to make it a reality at a later time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am all for this.. seeing some tubes collide because one got stuck and another is going 760 mi/hour would be great.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
IF the tech works fine - and i don't see why it wouldn't it's a simple Concept. whether or not it will work would depend on construction, hell with the proper guidance system/interlocks you could use the same tubes for multiple stops/branches

say terminous in manchester nh. tube to boston (follows rte 93) at boston there is a branch that continues to new york (think railroad switch type thing) or stops in boston, at ny a switch for etc...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The idea probably works, but I'm skeptical on it being inexpensive enough to be feasible.

Neph_sl

shitlord
The propulsion system seems cool and all (combination of aturbofan+linear motors), but I'd definitely be worried about emergency braking, which isn't really described in their document. They plan to have emergency mechanical brakes, but if you're traveling at 760 mph and a pod gets stuck for whatever reason (even though they say it's "highly unlikely"), I want to know how you plan on stopping the pods behind it.

You can read their paper on the hyperloop here:http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...loop-alpha.pdf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Depending on the air pressure inside the tube + the clearance between the capsule and the tube I wonder how much air pressure would build up if a high speed capsule were to approach a stopped capsule.

Either way I don't see how braking would be a big problem here.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Elon already has ideas to stop it from overheating. Not to mention, there was an idea similar to this that would go from New York to Los Angeles in 40(!) minutes. It would travel at 2000MPH. Unbelievable.

SuperManGimme_sl

shitlord
I feel like the price tag is a bit over ambitious. Here's to hoping it actually ends up being as financially viable as he makes it out to be.

Neph_sl

shitlord
The tube is under a near vacuum to reduce drag, so I would think that the deceleration from the column of air between pods is minimal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
wouldn't that cause the tube to explode?
The tube is under a near vacuum to reduce drag, so I would think that the deceleration from the column of air between pods is minimal.
There goes my hyperloop bumper car game idea =(

Anyone spend the time or see an article picking apart the numbers and assumptions made in the paper? It's hard to care that much until it's peer reviewed to some degree.

spronk

FPS noob
are these loop tunnels above ground or underground? we can't even get oil pipelines built through texas, hard to see how you could ever, ever, ever build a giant pipeline from LA to SF or NYC. If its underground, that seems to open an even gianter can of worms.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are above ground.

I'm all for this if its cheaper than an airplane ticket and I don't have to get to the Hyperloop Station 3 hours before launch.

Also if we get one before Shelbyville.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I read the thing, but I'm a EE not a MechE, so most of the numbers are beyond my understanding of feasibility. I think the real lowballing in the numbers is from his estimates for costs ($6 billion vs the ~$68 billion for the current proposed CA high speed rail) which doesn't include all the R&D and bureaucracy involved in getting a project like this off the ground.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I read the thing, but I'm a EE not a MechE, so most of the numbers are beyond my understanding of feasibility. I think the real lowballing in the numbers is from his estimates for costs ($6 billion vs the ~$68 billion for the current proposed CA high speed rail) which doesn't include all the R&D and bureaucracy involved in getting a project like this off the ground.
Yeah, I'm sure he is somewhat optimistic on costing in general. I assume he is calling R&D a sunk cost, with the assumption that after successful deployment in Cali, it would be deployed to numerous other locations. He's also not costing in pork/bribes to get things done.

However, fuck the cost. If this is a viable technology and reasonable cost to implement, it would usher in a new era of regional travel.

Also, thesupersonic passenger jetneeds to happen. This example is a small jet, but could prove the tech and help it make its way to the masses.

It seems like innovation in transportation is way behind the tech curve.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if this is going to be built above ground i assume it will be housed in a tube made with a concrete housing or it will be all concrete? i cant imagine they will try to build it out of some shitty plexiglass.