I am being given a business

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So, while I was living in my car, the truck sat in a storage unit. Here’s how the truck looked before the wrap. I had it in storage from Dec 2020 to about May 2nd or 3rd 2021. By the time I started driving it regularly in July, it had 200 miles on the odometer. It had 1859 when it was totaled out.

View attachment 396992
Did you already buy a new truck? Depending on weight, for cost, go look at the new mavericks. Very hard to find without markup, but if you arnt loading it up easily in the mid 20's. Beds small but has some nice features including power.

Brad2770

Did you already buy a new truck? Depending on weight, for cost, go look at the new mavericks. Very hard to find without markup, but if you arnt loading it up easily in the mid 20's. Beds small but has some nice features including power.

I haven’t bought a truck. I just looked and they are about 32k starting off. I guess I need to explain that getting fired and then getting rear ended crippled me financially.

I was floating almost 10k in the bank when I got fired in Aug. Then I spent 3k in flyers and mailers (that never got distributed or mailed) because I didn’t get them until a few days before the accident. I was scrambling to make my business work because it was definitely now or never. Then I had a month and half in bills I had to pay with no income and then moved into a job that pays me about $500 less a week than what I previously made. On top of everything going up in price, I’m not comfortable making a leap with the economy like it is. When I originally started all of this, Trump was President, looked like he would continue being President and I wouldn’t have any major issues even if something went wrong. I’m going to hold on to the money that I have now. Wait for my lawsuit to finish, buy a few more guns (because they are definitely holding value) and see how things are in a year after midterms.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

I haven’t bought a truck. I just looked and they are about 32k starting off. I guess I need to explain that getting fired and then getting rear ended crippled me financially.

I was floating almost 10k in the bank when I got fired in Aug. Then I spent 3k in flyers and mailers (that never got distributed or mailed) because I didn’t get them until a few days before the accident. I was scrambling to make my business work because it was definitely now or never. Then I had a month and half in bills I had to pay with no income and then moved into a job that pays me about $500 less a week than what I previously made. On top of everything going up in price, I’m not comfortable making a leap with the economy like it is. When I originally started all of this, Trump was President, looked like he would continue being President and I wouldn’t have any major issues even if something went wrong. I’m going to hold on to the money that I have now. Wait for my lawsuit to finish, buy a few more guns (because they are definitely holding value) and see how things are in a year after midterms.
Yeah, I've followed the thread, just figured when you are ready to try again, a minimalist parts runner type truck that starts at 20k base might be an easier pill.

Brad2770

Believe me, I have already looked. The cheapest I was finding was used 2016-2020 work trucks with 50-100k miles starting at 25k. If you want to show me a link to a work truck, new at 20k, please do so.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Believe me, I have already looked. The cheapest I was finding was used 2016-2020 work trucks with 50-100k miles starting at 25k. If you want to show me a link to a work truck, new at 20k, please do so.
You might want to consider a lease versus a purchase. You are still going to depreciate the vehicle on your Schedule C and it will allow you to have lower payments for the period of the lease to ease cashflows. Not getting into the weeds on the accounting, but many businesses lease versus purchase so they can keep the constant depreciation chain going while making sure their work vehicles are always covered under a manufacturer's warranty (thus eliminating possible maint costs down the road).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

This is going to be harsh but this is loser talk. If you want to say you ran into some adversity and just decided it wasn't worth it or you weren't up to the challenge and went back to a 9 to 5 job that's one thing, but all this stuff about national politics is just making excuses.

• 3Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

You might want to consider a lease versus a purchase. You are still going to depreciate the vehicle on your Schedule C and it will allow you to have lower payments for the period of the lease to ease cashflows. Not getting into the weeds on the accounting, but many businesses lease versus purchase so they can keep the constant depreciation chain going while making sure their work vehicles are always covered under a manufacturer's warranty (thus eliminating possible maint costs down the road).

There were modifications to the bed of the truck for the spray rig. I have never leased, but I would assume there are penalties for modifications that I would be responsible for.

This is going to be harsh but this is loser talk. If you want to say you ran into some adversity and just decided it wasn't worth it or you weren't up to the challenge and went back to a 9 to 5 job that's one thing, but all this stuff about national politics is just making excuses.

I never said I’m quitting. Not sure where you got that from. Just waiting a year to see where I am financially, but I was just pointing out that the guy I’m working for really wants to keep me on board. It does me no good to express myself here, looking for advice, without explaining everything that is weighing on me when it comes to the business. Like I said, I’m still paying for the insurance and doing side work. If that picks up enough, I could very well afford a new truck at $800 a month with no problems. I’m just taking it slower so I don’t run into anymore issues.

And yes, the current economy and politics definitely play into my decision making. I would be a fool not to consider it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There were modifications to the bed of the truck for the spray rig. I have never leased, but I would assume there are penalties for modifications that I would be responsible for.

I never said I’m quitting. Not sure where you got that from. Just waiting a year to see where I am financially, but I was just pointing out that the guy I’m working for really wants to keep me on board. It does me no good to express myself here, looking for advice, without explaining everything that is weighing on me when it comes to the business. Like I said, I’m still paying for the insurance and doing side work. If that picks up enough, I could very well afford a new truck at $800 a month with no problems. I’m just taking it slower so I don’t run into anymore issues.

And yes, the current economy and politics definitely play into my decision making. I would be a fool not to consider it.
Discuss the mods with a dealer and see what their policies are. You can also look at adjusting your modifications in a way that make it non-permanent.

Brad2770

It sounds like you are. Just not admitting it to yourself yet.

I could live in my car again to make up for the fact the vehicle prices have doubled. I’m not going to do that. When I was living in my car, I was willing to take much bigger risks because the consequences weren’t as severe.

Just like when you were a kid and you were gung-ho to ride that skateboard and bust out some knarly kick flips, when you fell and busted your face, you were a bit slower and more cautious. I assure you, if trucks were 20k, I would have already been back out. I’m just being more cautious is all.

My original plan was for it to be up and running in 3 years. Living in my car allowed me to accelerate that. I still have a year and a half if I followed my original plan. I’m actually ahead right now according to that plan.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I could live in my car again to make up for the fact the vehicle prices have doubled. I’m not going to do that. When I was living in my car, I was willing to take much bigger risks because the consequences weren’t as severe.

Just like when you were a kid and you were gung-ho to ride that skateboard and bust out some knarly kick flips, when you fell and busted your face, you were a bit slower and more cautious. I assure you, if trucks were 20k, I would have already been back out. I’m just being more cautious is all.

My original plan was for it to be up and running in 3 years. Living in my car allowed me to accelerate that. I still have a year and a half if I followed my original plan. I’m actually ahead right now according to that plan.
Yeah but you made a reference to the way the mentally deficient pedophile in the white house and his handlers are destroying our economy so obviously you're just a quitter.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

I’m not going to defend myself against this quitter nonsense. Anyone that read this thread can plainly see that I’m not a quitter.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I’m not going to defend myself against this quitter nonsense. Anyone that read this thread can plainly see that I’m not a quitter.
I'm mocking the shitbag who called you a quitter, not calling you one myself.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

I'm rooting for you man, I just don't like the sound of what you're posting. Something as simple as a car accident can't put you out of business for 2 years. If that's the case then you're not serious. Think how much money you will make if you're running a profitable business for 2 years instead of saving up your pennies from some shitty job. If I were you I'd go talk to a banker and get the fuck back in business. People have bugs in their house no matter who is the president and they're not going to wait for the midterms to get them sprayed. All of your competitors are sucking up all the money you should be making while you're sitting on your ass. 50% of new businesses fail because of what you're doing here. Letting what should be a minor setback completely take you out.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Brad2770

I'm rooting for you man, I just don't like the sound of what you're posting. Something as simple as a car accident can't put you out of business for 2 years. If that's the case then you're not serious. Think how much money you will make if you're running a profitable business for 2 years instead of saving up your pennies from some shitty job. If I were you I'd go talk to a banker and get the fuck back in business. People have bugs in their house no matter who is the president and they're not going to wait for the midterms to get them sprayed. All of your competitors are sucking up all the money you should be making while you're sitting on your ass. 50% of new businesses fail because of what you're doing here. Letting what should be a minor setback completely take you out.

“Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead. Sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and in the end, it’s only with yourself.”

It’s from “Everybody’s Free (to wear sunscreen).”

I have done a lot of cool things because I am willing to gamble, but I only do it when I am comfortable to take that gamble.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have done a lot of cool things because I am willing to gamble, but I only do it when I am comfortable to take that gamble.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to give you a pep talk. I would really encourage you to talk to a banker and an accountant. Shutting down your business over $20-30k is just a shame to me. You don't want to get deep in debt but as a start-up cost for a business, this is nothing. You're looking at the risk of doing something but you need to think about the risk of not doing something. You're going to lose the contacts you have and whatever word of mouth that would have brought in. Some people have 20k in debt on their credit cards. It's nothing to have that for a business. Interest is just another expense. Yeah it sucks that expenses have gone up but that's not anything you're not going to deal with over and over. If you can't pay that off then the business was not going to succeed anyway. I'm not going to keep arguing with you about it but I think you should give it some thought what you're going to lose by waiting.

Brad2770

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to give you a pep talk. I would really encourage you to talk to a banker and an accountant. Shutting down your business over $20-30k is just a shame to me. You don't want to get deep in debt but as a start-up cost for a business, this is nothing. You're looking at the risk of doing something but you need to think about the risk of not doing something. You're going to lose the contacts you have and whatever word of mouth that would have brought in. Some people have 20k in debt on their credit cards. It's nothing to have that for a business. Interest is just another expense. Yeah it sucks that expenses have gone up but that's not anything you're not going to deal with over and over. If you can't pay that off then the business was not going to succeed anyway. I'm not going to keep arguing with you about it but I think you should give it some thought what you're going to lose by waiting.

Part of living in my car was to also get myself out of debt. For the first time in 20 years, I’m debt free. I would like a little bit of time to enjoy that.

I have also gotten fat over the last ten years. While I wait for the lawsuit to wrap up. While I enjoy being debt free, I’m also dropping the weight. I’m a nice looking guy when I’m not carrying 120 extra pounds. It’s also something I think will be a benefit to the business.

As silly as it sounds, I want a thread in the Hall of Fame on this board. I won’t get there giving up.

Sludig

Remind me what state, not this year but next availability should be a lot better. Currently they closed maverick orders from factory for rest of 2022. Many dealers marking them up. However some don't and I've seen them here or there, they just go quick.

Go on fords website and look at features. 20k is base hybrid, great if you are puttering around town. Like 23k for ecoboost, 25k awd + ecoboost, then packages from there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users