I am being given a business

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So what you been up to since the wreck? Able to do business at all? I saw in the other thread you’re still getting dicked around by insurance. Sucks to hear, not surprising.

My wife’s last wreck took like four months to settle when it was a clear cut case of the other driver fucking up, all documented on camera, and confirmed by police. The other driver claimed the roundabout intersection was “too confusing” so she wasn’t at fault and stretched it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

I was going to wait and update after all of the insurance stuff was done.

It’s been pretty demoralizing. How long this insurance process is taking, how long it takes for them to finalize things and finally get you money. How expensive the trucks have gotten. The delay on getting a new spray rig. And the employer that fired me in Aug called me on Weds and asked if I would like to come back and work with them. My lawsuit for the injury stuff should be done after the first of the year. Once it is all done, I think I will figure out how to secure what cash I have now in something that will retain some sort of value and ride the next three years out. My business insurance comes out to about $120 a month without the truck. I can handle that. I already own the rest of tge equipment. Just need to sell off some of the chemicals before it goes bad. That’s the plan for now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I was going to wait and update after all of the insurance stuff was done.

It’s been pretty demoralizing. How long this insurance process is taking, how long it takes for them to finalize things and finally get you money. How expensive the trucks have gotten. The delay on getting a new spray rig. And the employer that fired me in Aug called me on Weds and asked if I would like to come back and work with them. My lawsuit for the injury stuff should be done after the first of the year. Once it is all done, I think I will figure out how to secure what cash I have now in something that will retain some sort of value and ride the next three years out. My business insurance comes out to about $120 a month without the truck. I can handle that. I already own the rest of tge equipment. Just need to sell off some of the chemicals before it goes bad. That’s the plan for now.

not to be capt hindsight, but a small piece of advice from someone who went from a one man gang just like you on to bigger and better ... I made sure to always set aside my owed taxes and also dump a bit of the weekly take into a small slush fund (often filled by unreported cash jobs) and used that to start buying redundant gear. I learned that lesson hard when my spot got robbed and they took a bunch of my all day everyday tools. no tools cant work. then you are running up credit cards to get going again. So I started picking up small used or bargain bin stuff here and there to have doubles / triples of all the basics. Start watching auctions, checking out going out of business liquidations, etc. Eventually when you have been established name, you will even get approached by your competition when they are going belly up and want someone to buy their gear as they exit.

None of that stuff has to be good, just has to work, beat up up old shit to get you by when your primary stuff goes down for whatever reason. Sucks to be waiting on parts / supplies / tools that keeps you from going out and making your buck. Any down day is costing you. So have basic stuff on the side to limp along til you can get back to where you were. yeah you arent showing up in a flash truck and pulling out state of the art tools, but at least you can make your appointments and cash checks. later on having all that gear is how you are able to hire a second person ... and then you really get on a roll ...

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
... I made sure to always set aside my owed taxes
This. Cant stress this enough. I can't tell you the number of my wife's clients who think the sales tax they collect is "theirs" and every quarter they are crying about having to find the cash to pay it to the owner (the state). For my consulting business I estimate my owed taxes (since its a pass through) and dropped that cash into my brokerage account in the SPY. It ain't your money, but its legal to make interest on it until you pay the taxman. Or taxzher if in CA/OR/WA etc.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
not to be capt hindsight, but a small piece of advice from someone who went from a one man gang just like you on to bigger and better ... I made sure to always set aside my owed taxes and also dump a bit of the weekly take into a small slush fund (often filled by unreported cash jobs) and used that to start buying redundant gear. I learned that lesson hard when my spot got robbed and they took a bunch of my all day everyday tools. no tools cant work. then you are running up credit cards to get going again. So I started picking up small used or bargain bin stuff here and there to have doubles / triples of all the basics. Start watching auctions, checking out going out of business liquidations, etc. Eventually when you have been established name, you will even get approached by your competition when they are going belly up and want someone to buy their gear as they exit.

None of that stuff has to be good, just has to work, beat up up old shit to get you by when your primary stuff goes down for whatever reason. Sucks to be waiting on parts / supplies / tools that keeps you from going out and making your buck. Any down day is costing you. So have basic stuff on the side to limp along til you can get back to where you were. yeah you arent showing up in a flash truck and pulling out state of the art tools, but at least you can make your appointments and cash checks. later on having all that gear is how you are able to hire a second person ... and then you really get on a roll ...
Although Brad2770 Brad2770 had just started and wasn’t really in a position to start doing this yet I agree it’s good advice. I even do this for my home equipment. I have 3 of the same battery drill, cause I saw them on a deep discount and picked up spares, same with my batteries, I even have two battery sawzall, something I don’t use much, due to this. I’ve known a couple people that had their work tools stolen from their truck and it put them in a bad spot for a while because they had to buy new, didn’t have backups.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
This. Cant stress this enough. I can't tell you the number of my wife's clients who think the sales tax they collect is "theirs" and every quarter they are crying about having to find the cash to pay it to the owner (the state). For my consulting business I estimate my owed taxes (since its a pass through) and dropped that cash into my brokerage account in the SPY. It ain't your money, but its legal to make interest on it until you pay the taxman. Or taxzher if in CA/OR/WA etc.

I learned this lesson the hard way myself, if it wasnt for Clinton passing Tax Debt Relief that one year I would have been fucking doomed because I wasnt responsible with my books starting out. Also the Siren Song of Titty Bars is powerful and drove me onto the rocks a few times back then. Work hard play hard, just dont play tooooo hard.

• 2Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I learned this lesson the hard way myself, if it wasnt for Clinton passing Tax Debt Relief that one year I would have been fucking doomed because I wasnt responsible with my books starting out. Also the Siren Song of Titty Bars is powerful and drove me onto the rocks a few times back then. Work hard play hard, just dont play tooooo hard.
It amazes me when my wife gets new clients and when she tells them it's time to pay sales tax they argue with her about it. She's like "it's not your money" and they are like "yes it is, we sold the product so it's our money. It's in our bank account."

• 1Picard
  • 1Double Worf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
It amazes me when my wife gets new clients and when she tells them it's time to pay sales tax they argue with her about it. She's like "it's not your money" and they are like "yes it is, we sold the product so it's our money. It's in our bank account."

one of the things that helps kinda keep you on track here in Hawaii is you are required to pay your GET quarterly, its a constant reminder of how hard you are going to get hit by the Feds at the end of the year.

Also a huge thing most starting small business folks kind of ignore is reinvesting into your business is a cheap thing to do, I always looked at everything I wanted / needed to buy as only costing 66% of the price tag .... if I wasnt writing that money off, the Govt was getting that 1/3, Id rather have the stuff even as surplus material / product on a shelf than pay more to the State and Feds. Mileage Log on your vehicles while a huge pain in the ass is totally worth it when it comes to tax time. Pro-Tip - random receipts you find littering the parking lot of a home depot or supply houses that were paid in cash .... thats free money when you are doing your taxes at the end of the year....

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
one of the things that helps kinda keep you on track here in Hawaii is you are required to pay your GET quarterly, its a constant reminder of how hard you are going to get hit by the Feds at the end of the year.

Also a huge thing most starting small business folks kind of ignore is reinvesting into your business is a cheap thing to do, I always looked at everything I wanted / needed to buy as only costing 66% of the price tag .... if I wasnt writing that money off, the Govt was getting that 1/3, Id rather have the stuff even as surplus material / product on a shelf than pay more to the State and Feds. Mileage Log on your vehicles while a huge pain in the ass is totally worth it when it comes to tax time. Pro-Tip - random receipts you find littering the parking lot of a home depot or supply houses that were paid in cash .... thats free money when you are doing your taxes at the end of the year....
Also to add for tax time. Much like the stock market, it's OK to be a pig but don't be a hog. You can cheat "so" much and it's nothing more than a "mistake" and you pay the tax. You never want the IRS thinking it was other than a mistake.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
And as to my earlier point about buying used / cheap gear ... always get a bill of sale, people might laugh at you or get annoyed when you ask them to scribble one out at a garage sale, but get in that habit. Any receipts is gold at tax time.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Also to add for tax time. Much like the stock market, it's OK to be a pig but don't be a hog. You can cheat "so" much and it's nothing more than a "mistake" and you pay the tax. You never want the IRS thinking it was other than a mistake.

tumblr_54ce68ea6857b84bd45169927474edce_55a6cfbd_640.jpg

If I was a less scrupulous man, I would explain you can essentially keep ahead of the game by slowly increasing the amount of mistakes, so even if caught you end up ahead. And I would remind you to be mindful of the statutes, because your going to be exposed for multiple years. Also retaining the monetary gains from those mistakes, until the statutes have elapsed, so you don't end up liable for debt you can't pay.

But that's a shitty thing to do, illegal, and I would never advise anyone to do it.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Yeah dont start straight up frauding, or making fake receipts / BOS, folks do. But fudging a bit here and there adds up fast. You can buy folks dinner and write it off once in a while if you mention work while eating, dont try and write off your drive thru orders at McDs everyday.

I have done sales meetings at Titty bars during Christmas ... totally legal ...

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah dont start straight up frauding, or making fake receipts / BOS, folks do. But fudging a bit here and there adds up fast. You can buy folks dinner and write it off once in a while if you mention work while eating, dont try and write off your drive thru orders at McDs everyday.

Meals and entertainment changed a few years ago iirc...

You are required to show who was there, what was discussed, and the benefit or potential benefit to be derived.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Honestly, using credit cards for every expense really simplifies a lot of the accounting and receipts.

Brad2770

I’ll give a full update once everything is done, but the injury settlement might save everything. It won’t be enough to pay cash for everything, but it should be enough to keep me from being upside down. I suppose I’ll know in another month or two. Negotiations started before the holidays and they just called me to inform me what the counter offer was.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Brad2770

So the wreck happened on Sept. 10th. From the date of the wreck, until Dec. 7th, I was fighting with insurance on the truck and the spray rig in the back. At first they only wanted to pay me what I had paid for the truck. I paid $20,000 for the truck. A tad under. After fighting with them, they ended up paying what the listed MSRP was at the time, which was $27,000 (which included the wrap, though they tried not to pay me for it at first), but to drive off the lot, the cheapest I was finding at the time was starting at $33,000. They ended up paying out what I paid for the spray rig, not what it would cost to build a new one. My cost was around $3500 installed. A new one now installed would be around $4500. They paid out $3400 and some change. I got it about 2 weeks ago.

I’m still waiting for a refund on the warranty of the truck, which will be about $3000. I’m also being represented by an ambulance chaser, and if it goes anything like my lawsuit I had with a previous employer, then I’ll probably end up with between $10,000 and $20,000.

The people that I worked for while I was building up my business; I made $29.50 an hour, then went into a Chinese overtime after 40 plus bonuses each week. My current employer only pays me $22 an hour with overtime, but I only get about 45 hours a week. I don’t feel comfortable financing a $40k truck that paid $20k for 13 months ago, especially with my current salary. I have options, but the guy I’m working for now (the owner) and the guy that is my boss (the manager) I have worked for before in the past, about 6 years ago. The owner had told me that if I am patient, he can get me back up to 30 an hour for a lot less work. Mostly customer retention and service calls, as that is my strong point and I really like doing that. Plus, I’ll get a company truck.

I’m going to give it a year. I’m still paying the $110 a month on my business insurance. I’m still keeping the licenses valid (my current boss actually paid for the continued learning classes and paid me to sit through the class). The guy really wants to keep me. He paid me fully for the two weeks we were off for Christmas, and starting this year, I get 3 weeks off a year for vacation and 5 weeks off after 5 years.

I had the wind sucked out of my sails. I try to get the fire I had 6 months ago and it’s not the same. There was something about going out to the garage and seeing my truck with the wrap. I’m sure the fire will rage again, but for now I’m going to take it easy. I still work hard and I have a few side jobs I do for vacation money, but I’m not pushing like I was.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Brad2770

So, while I was living in my car, the truck sat in a storage unit. Here’s how the truck looked before the wrap. I had it in storage from Dec 2020 to about May 2nd or 3rd 2021. By the time I started driving it regularly in July, it had 200 miles on the odometer. It had 1859 when it was totaled out.

E502BAA0-D70A-46F6-B1D4-F862EA827F8D.jpeg

• 2Like