I am being given a business

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, I was open and honest with them and informed them of my progress. I have no intentions of stealing business. It’s whatever. A little frightening, but I am a man that lived in my car to build this up. No way in hell this will slow me down or stop me.

I bid a golf course yesterday to treat the greens. Got the job. Also picked up a general pest and mosquito treatment from the guy that showed me around the course.

And the guy the got me this referral: The man I was originally supposed to go into business with.
Bidding jobs is one of the reasons why understanding your COGS is so critical. A fucked up underbid contract can be an ass fucking.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's probably good that you're not working anymore. You're all in now, and you have all the time in the world to get out there and start finding jobs.

Brad2770

Yeah, I know. Was just hoping to finish the year out for the rest of my vacation, my yearly bonus, my Christmas bonus, Etc…

Definitely was unexpected.

“The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindsides you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday”

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can also feel free to poach and undercut jobs from the guy that fired you!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
You can also feel free to poach and undercut jobs from the guy that fired you!

I would actually advise against this - the poaching part.

I don't know what your relationship is with your old boss, but if what you are saying is true, then he was pretty generous letting you start up a business while working for him that is directly in competition with him. Not many people would do that.

Always remember you meet the same people when you are moving up as when you are moving down. Don't burn bridges.

I was in the exact situation as you decades ago. I left the company I worked for to strike out on my own. I let them know 2 months beforehand, and when I left I could have easily taken 1/2 the client list but I did not. It meant I struggled early on to build my own client list, but now I am fine. I left on good terms with my old boss, and in fact, he was sending me his overflow during the first few years. Years later, when I got too busy, I referred my overflow back to him. Worst case scenario if my business didn't work out, I know he would have hired me back. If I tried to fuck with him and steal clients on my way out, I doubt that would have been an option.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I would actually advise against this - the poaching part.

I don't know what your relationship is with your old boss, but if what you are saying is true, then he was pretty generous letting you start up a business while working for him that is directly in competition with him. Not many people would do that.

Always remember you meet the same people when you are moving up as when you are moving down. Don't burn bridges.

I was in the exact situation as you decades ago. I left the company I worked for to strike out on my own. I let them know 2 months beforehand, and when I left I could have easily taken 1/2 the client list but I did not. It meant I struggled early on to build my own client list, but now I am fine. I left on good terms with my old boss, and in fact, he was sending me his overflow during the first few years. Years later, when I got too busy, I referred my overflow back to him. Worst case scenario if my business didn't work out, I know he would have hired me back. If I tried to fuck with him and steal clients on my way out, I doubt that would have been an option.
Yeah I agree, I wouldn’t really do that. Even though right now I’d be feeling like I wanted to. Being fired would make me mad even though I’d understand why they did it. It’s smarter to just stay friendly and use each other for overflow.

Brad2770

I’m not like that. My whole purpose of starting my own business is to truly put the customers first and do right by people. I’m not going to steal business.

I think I’m going to try my luck at good old fashioned door knocking. I have a good story. A few would listen. It might be enough to get me through. It would be a struggle, but 5-10 sales a week could get me by.

Brad2770

Friday I received a call from Angi’s List. The guy gave me his sales pitch, pushed the urgency to sign up and emailed me several potential customers.

I have researched them online and found good and bad things about them. With my current employment status, it would be nice to have some help to gain customers, but I am unsure of using them.

Do any of you know of them first hand or know of someone that has used them? I would like a bit more info on them before I make my final decision. As of now, I told them I wasn’t interested so they wouldn’t bother me.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I've heard people say it's kind of a scam. Pay for good reviews and good placement and they keep wanting more money. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it from the business side though. I have no personal experience with them good or bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've heard people say it's kind of a scam. Pay for good reviews and good placement and they keep wanting more money. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it from the business side though. I have no personal experience with them good or bad.
Yeah, it’s basically advertising on their platform is all it is. No idea if it’s worth doing or not.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I know two contractors who both tried Angi's list for about a year. They both said they'd try to see if there was any return on their investment after one year, there was absolutely not. I've never used it, so that's the sum total of my experience with it.

• 2Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I have done a lot of advertising in my day, going back to Yellow pages, advertising in the mall, movie theaters, radio......learn from my mistakes. It's all pretty worthless. The radio was the worst by far. Believe it or not I got great ROI from the Yellow pages but that almost 20 years ago. I never did Angi's list so I can't comment on that directly but I don't see value in paying for reviews or recommendations. The best are always organic.

IMHO the single most important way to drive business to you these days is the internet via searches. What this means is you need to get a good SEO company to develop a website for you, or at the very least a landing page, and then optimize your keywords to make sure you land in the top 3 in keyword searches for your area. So when someone types in "pest control" or somesuch you need to come out near the top. Think about how you Google things yourself and how often you just click on of the first link. People rarely ever go to the 2nd page. Later once you can budget in advertising, you can go for PPC (pay per clicks) to drive even more business your direction, but you may not even need to go this route.

This should help you get off the ground floor. The key to any successive business is referrals, because they 1) they are free, and 2) they have the highest likelihood of signing up with you, because they have trust in you. Assuming you are good you should be able to build up a referral base relatively quickly, which means you can decrease on your advertising budget. Eventually you may not need to advertise at all. If someone refers you business, always take the time to send them a thank you card at the very least, maybe include like a $10 or $20 Starbucks card. Treat people who refer you business as VIPs, always take their calls, prioritize them if they need repeat business, etc.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brad2770

I initially planned on hitting the ground running this week, but things I hadn’t planned on doing until the end of the year or beginning of next year had to be moved up. I have also been busting ass for the last year working 6 days a week (or more) and averaging 55-70 hours a week. This week was supposed to be my vacation week (already scheduled) and I had things planned with my kids including dropping him off on his first day of high school Weds. morning.

Next week I’m going to knock doors. After talking with coworkers that do sales and just things I remember hearing my boss say and the sales managers say, it seems to be my best bet. Also, one of my friends does work for a conpetitor and confirmed that door knocking, 8-10 hours a day, will yield about 10-15 sales a week. If I could keep that pace (and no reason I couldn’t), I’ll be able to survive. Once I last the 3 month mark, I’ll start getting into customers getting second applications and I’ll finally see real profit.

I have about 2 more weeks before I have to start looking for full time work again.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

So, I filed for unemployment around the first of Aug. They asked my reason for departure and I told the TWC that I was fired because I started a business. I was denied unemployment benefits because my previous employer told them I quit to run my business. I of course appealed this. Still waiting on the appeal which could be another 3-5 weeks.

I spoke with my old boss last week to call him on the lie. He said I did quit; that he had given me a choice to stay or dissolve my business. Since I wouldn’t shut down my business, then that meant I was choosing to quit. I find it hard to believe that an employer can give an employee an ultimatum like that. It’s not like I can say “You either give me a raise or if you don’t, that means you fired me.” I’m hoping I win. Not because I want to be a Covid bum, but so I can focus on my business.

On a positive note, I landed those halfway houses in Dallas. Actually more of them than I expected. I’ll be meeting with the ladies soon to arrange contracts and final pay, but it looks promising. Enough work to fully pack two days.

• 1Solidarity

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So this is an important life lesson for you, and maybe for anyone else that reads this thread.......if you are going to get fired, get it in writing.

You hear about all those people losing their jobs because they aren't getting the COVID vaccine? I'm sure (I hope) they were getting written notices.. This can be used as proof to the umemployment office that you were terminated. Note, however, the unemployment office needs to determine if you were terminated with, or without cause. You only get benefits if you were terminated without cause.

How did you get fired? Did you just stop showing up? Did your boss tell you to leave? In the future, for anyone reading this thread, if you are being fired, tell your boss "ok, but if you fire me I need to have it in writing, as well as the grounds for termination". This will benefit you both 1) to obtain umemployment, and 2 ) in case you have a legal case for wrongful termination.

Same goes for employers. If you have someone quit on you, get it in writing, or video them quitting. That way you can show your employee isn't eligible for umemployment.

Brad2770

1)How did you get fired?

2)Did you just stop showing up?

3)Did your boss tell you to leave?

1)I had always been open with them that I was starting a business. The guy that fired me even helped me figure out some of the steps to get the business license and even some advice on establishing pricing within the business. Since I had been open with him, I showed him the wrap on my truck. He said it looked good, but told me that wraps didn’t really bring in customers. Then we discussed yearly chemical use. I was bidding that golf course that day, he knew about it. About 2 hours later, as I was in my way to bid the golf course, he sent a text asking if I could call him. I called and he said “I have been thinking about this the last couple of hours and I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t tell you this: You have a choice to keep working here and dissolve your business or your last day is Friday.”

“[Boss], I have already made my choice” (Vague on purpose)

“Then your last day is on Friday. You’ll need to remove all of your personal belongings from your work truck and locker and return the uniforms.”

2) No, I worked through Friday. They normally take volunteers for work on Saturday, so when they did, I volunteered for work and one of the new managers responded, about 2 hours later, that they had decided to not work on Saturday (the first of the year) and that everyone that normally volunteers could take a break from the heat.

3) There was once more that we had a conversation and I asked him how he could get rid one of his top guys? (I was at least within the top 5 of the whole company in revenue generated). His response was that I couldn’t stay because it finally felt real to him (the business) and I couldn’t stay because of the conflict of interest.

I really don’t think he ever took me seriously. I think the business cards and the truck wrap finally hit him and he got rid of me before the owners found out. Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but I didn’t even do pest control for this company. Never did. They never paid for any of my licensing and on the days I had to do my testing, I still showed up and did my full production day. I never missed a day for work (unless they called for rain) and I worked like 98% of all available Saturdays to work.

Oh, and my immediate boss, the guy that is pretty much number three in the company; we exchanged test messages after the fact and he thought I was done wrong. I still have the messages.

Brad2770

Made $1100 today. And then this happened

56140221-300C-4D65-AC97-2633D8F32123.jpeg
F6B56BAC-58AF-4642-8FC0-BC900D5DD03C.jpeg

Guy hit me at about 50mph. My tank is busted. Mosquito backpack is busted. Truck drives funny. FML

• 5Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Brad2770

Friend sends me a text message-

“I found only one Colorado work truck available in Grapevine and it’s 33k.”

I paid $20k for my truck in Dec.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Friend sends me a text message-

“I found only one Colorado work truck available in Grapevine and it’s 33k.”

I paid $20k for my truck in Dec.

Bummer. Is it totaled? Looks pretty fixable from the picture but I know you can't always see it.