I am being given a business

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brad2770

Well, I have already gone out and done it. My biggest issue is another issue with conflict of interest.

So, I would really like to start a lawn and pest business. I know it the best and enjoy it the most. The guy with the tax issues might be a good business partner and also knows knows his shit, but there is the tax issue.

Or I could could just go solo, try everything on my own and do the poop scooping business without fear of conflict of interest or having to worry about tax guy. That’s what I am struggling with right now. I’m just trying to make sure I make the right choice.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Sounds like you'll be shoveling shit in either case. Ba-dum-tsh.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would say start it alone and if the dude clears his tax issues have him go on board later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

Well, I have three weeks of vacation this year. I was going to take all of it at the end of the year, but they won’t let me take it all at once, so I have a week scheduled during the week of my birthday (in two weeks). I have the first test scheduled to get my Certified Applicator’s license on the agricultural side (My pest license is under structural, so I have to start from scratch again to go Ag).

I’ll have those knocked out before the end of the year. That will give me 3 licenses to operate under. Plus, bargaining for a raise at my current job.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Start the poop side hustle and keep your fulltime job for now. You gotta eat. Involving someone in your business with tax issues is a recipe for disaster (I already mentioned this). You shouldn't even be considering it still.

Write up a business plan and a proposed budget and cash flows for your own pest business and use it to guide you. It will let you know when you are ready to jump ship. What you are doing is hard. But that means the satisfaction when you pull it off will be greater. The chance of success will rise in correlation to the amount of planning you do ahead of time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
In Montana the agricultural applicator's license is kind of a joke. As I remember it's like a 20 question open book test.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In Montana the agricultural applicator's license is kind of a joke. As I remember it's like a 20 question open book test.
Maybe I need to do that in OK too get access to better chemicals. Have some toxic Indian hemp to try and eradicate a couple acres worth. Think 2-4d is the best I have acres to off the shelf?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Maybe I need to do that in OK too get access to better chemicals. Have some toxic Indian hemp to try and eradicate a couple acres worth. Think 2-4d is the best I have acres to off the shelf?
flame thrower fire GIF
flame thrower kill it with fire GIF

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Would like to graze my Animals soon ish rather than waiting a couple years to regrow, outside the bad stuff have a pretty good amount of vermuda fescue and black berry which the goats love

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Would like to graze my Animals soon ish rather than waiting a couple years to regrow, outside the bad stuff have a pretty good amount of vermuda fescue and black berry which the goats love
Relaxed Mad Men GIF
Marvel Cinematic Universe Fire GIF by Leroy Patterson

Everything is better with fire.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Maybe, but there's no magic shit. The longer I've been around the less faith I have in pesticides of any kind. They're just getting resisted more and more and we're not finding any new ones. Sooner or later we're going to have to learn to get by without them. Half the time I think they make the problem worse long term. If you have weeds that's a pretty good sign that your soil isn't healthy and you're better off addressing the root cause if you can than treating symptoms by spraying weeds which are actually nature's way of healing soil. If you spray for bugs you kill all the good bugs while you're at it and the bad ones will be back with a vengeance next year. They just take your money and make your problems worse while seeming to make them better so you buy more of their shit next year.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe, but there's no magic shit. The longer I've been around the less faith I have in pesticides of any kind. They're just getting resisted more and more and we're not finding any new ones. Sooner or later we're going to have to learn to get by without them. Half the time I think they make the problem worse long term. If you have weeds that's a pretty good sign that your soil isn't healthy and you're better off addressing the root cause if you can than treating symptoms by spraying weeds which are actually nature's way of healing soil.
I found the root cause of weeds tends to be shitty neighbors who dont care about their lawns.

• 1Solidarity

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I found the root cause of weeds tends to be shitty neighbors who dont care about their lawns.

I'll care about my lawn when the city stops owning the boulevard next to me letting the dandelions float westward.

Fucking losing proposition. I'm much, much, MUCH happier now that I stopped giving a shit. Fuck, i've got entire corners of my property that are wildflowers now.

• 2Like

Brad2770

To get my pest control CA with termite was 200 questions total (which includes Laws and Regs). Pretty easy since I have done the work. The only difficult part was that the tests have not been updated to keep up with the study guides, so some of the questions in relation to the multiple choice answers were a tad ambiguous.

I think to get my Ag Lawn CA will be 150 questions which includes Laws and Regs.

Brad2770

So, quick update:

I haven’t done what I said I would do. The guy I have referenced on here before, The OldMan, passed away the day before my birthday, Sept. 14. We both got Covid the week before. He actually died of a heart attack, but the China virus didn’t help.

Money has been tight. I gave my son my old vehicle, but spent $2000 fixing minor things I kept putting off on it. This has been over the last 6 months.

My current boss talked to me today. I get a 5% raise (he said it’s the max he would ever give), but gave me an extra week vacation. I now have four weeks paid a year. I have showed up on time everyday, only missed a day and a half when I had the China virus and I have worked 24 Saturdays this year voluntarily. There are 3 techs here in Ft. Worth and 2 in San Antonio. I have produced 1/3 of the total revenue for the business in both locations combined by myself.

The owner didn’t tell me this, but my direct boss did: The owner (this is a franchise) has grown it so quickly, corporate has offered him a six figure position. If that happens, good chance I become the shop manager for both locations as my direct boss moves into the owners position.

The economy is shit. Say what you will. I’m not giving up, I’m just Biden my time until things get better and I’ll see how it goes.

I still make considerably less than I did at my previous employer.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brad2770

The guy I work for now offered to start a pest control business with me.

I don’t know the full details, but he basically said I’ll have access to the two ladies he has that runs both offices, I’ll have access to his sales guys and I’ll have financial backings (what he can afford to offer).

The guy I work for used to work for TruGreen. Very high up in corporate. The two franchises he has now got number one in all categories for a first year owner. Enough so, they offered him a job directly

Anyways, not much more to say for now until I get details. This, I think, might be right. It feels right. It felt pretty good having him ask me.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The guy I work for now offered to start a pest control business with me.

I don’t know the full details, but he basically said I’ll have access to the two ladies he has that runs both offices, I’ll have access to his sales guys and I’ll have financial backings (what he can afford to offer).

The guy I work for used to work for TruGreen. Very high up in corporate. The two franchises he has now got number one in all categories for a first year owner. Enough so, they offered him a job directly

Anyways, not much more to say for now until I get details. This, I think, might be right. It feels right. It felt pretty good having him ask me.
I’m happy for you, but BE SURE that whatever contract you sign with the guy gets reviewed by a lawyer, or at least an accountant. Do not trust just a handshake and a smile.

• 1Like

Brad2770

I’m happy for you, but BE SURE that whatever contract you sign with the guy gets reviewed by a lawyer, or at least an accountant. Do not trust just a handshake and a smile.
Well, we haven’t talked full details. I’ll make sure I’m protected.

I did end things with the tree guy. After we started talking specifics, the thing that made me nope out faster than his tax issue was this:

He wanted it set up so that whoever died first, the guy still alive got it all. He didn’t want to leave the respectful portions of the business to our children.

“So, if you died first, you want me to pay for half of a business that I helped build, to a man that did nothing? Fuck that!”

“Yeah, I do. And not only that, but you will have to pay for 51% if my kid did sell.”

We haven’t spoken since. That was October, I think.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
He wanted it set up so that whoever died first, the guy still alive got it all.

Fuck that. Although it could be an opportunity if you think you can pull off murdering him.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He wanted it set up so that whoever died first, the guy still alive got it all. He didn’t want to leave the respectful portions of the business to our children.
You force the company to buy life insurance policies on both principles and those funds are used to buy out the dying partner's interest and cover the taxes as well. This lets your kids/wife make money off the transfer of equity. Make sure all of this is spelled out in detail in the operating agreement and have a lawyers go over it.

Ps... lots of other really important shit needs baked into the operating agreement.

• 2Like