I am being given a business

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Grade A advice. I think you have hit the nail on the head and you made a genuine impact. Thanks.

I put this out here in harsh terms because this is the place to do it. The truth is that 99% of the people on this board want the members to succeed. We want you to do well. The things I recommended you do are not going to be easy and your not going to nail it all the first time; just physically write down the bullet points of the things you want to work on an put it somewhere that you will see it ALL THE TIME. It could be something like this:

1. Don't talk or text about non-work topics to coworkers or clients - no exceptions even after hours
  2. Do the exact thing my boss tells me without hesitation
  3. Make the company xxx revenue and document my role in those transactions

That is just a sample, but you get the idea. Any time you are struggling just look at the list or come bitch HERE.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't want to jump on the dogpile, but I'd recommend that you REALLY start chasing those other options you mentioned. The second the boss found out you were talking to other employees about quitting, he went from looking for a second truck to looking for your replacement. (And even if that isn't true, it's in your best interests to assume that it is. Also, if it isn't true, your boss is probably a shitty boss.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

I’m pretty much that guy.
I want to elaborate on this:

Im always fixing other people’s mistakes. I’m always picking up the slack. I’m always the guy that the boss can depend on and I’m getting tired of it.

We have had people that are absolute shit workers and the boss just wants them there to fill a seat and he’s in no hurry to replace them because I pick up the slack. It gets tiresome. I hate that I’m always the guy that picks up extra work to make sure we meet revenue.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Im always fixing other people’s mistakes. I’m always picking up the slack. I’m always the guy that the boss can depend on and I’m getting tired of it.

We have had people that are absolute shit workers and the boss just wants them there to fill a seat and he’s in no hurry to replace them because I pick up the slack. It gets tiresome. I hate that I’m always the guy that picks up extra work to make sure we meet revenue.

Ok, then document how you pick up the slack and who is not doing the job. You have to have some sort of metric. You don't show and tell him every time. You document it for a few months and then you ask for a meeting, prepare your ass off, and show him with metric data how you have benefitted the business. All professional terms; no familiarity. Using terms like 'always' and 'never' have no business value without data to back them up.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Let me just say first, that trait is admirable. Second, it is something you need to get used to and comfortable with if you want to run your own business.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm amazed that people have issues in their work life like this.

Combining any part of your personal and professional life is the stupidest thing you can ever do starting in about 2005, but probably even before that. If you are using a personal phone or computer to discuss business you need to cut that shit immediately and tell your employer to get you a company device, assuming your company doesn't have a BYOD program that segments your device from the company and reimburses you for the use. Don't allow any coworkers access to your personal social media accounts, including LinkedIn unless it is totally locked down. These are not your friends, they are coworkers and should be treated as such.

As far as actual work is concerned, there is a strict hierarchy of work that you should be accomplishing with your time.

1. Daily work that directly impacts your compensation and retainment followed by project work that directly impacts your compensation and retainment. All other tasks are optional.

2. The tasks in 1 are only superceded by direct requests from your boss to complete activities. Those requests should take priority over everything else and if anyone complains you refer them directly to your boss who made the request. If your boss complains then you reiterate that he was the one that gave you the taks and that he needs to give you the priority of those tasks if things are falling through.

3. The tasks in 2 are only superceded by direct requests from your bosses boss (and his boss, and his, all the way up to the CEO) and take priority over everything else until completed. If anyone complains, you reiterate that it was upper management who gave you the tasks and if there is an issue they need to give you the priority of those tasks.

Literally everything else is worthless and should never be done. It isn't worth your time or effort.

Every person in every job is bombarded with requests for work and they can't possibly all be accomplished. By always prioritizing the work given by the most senior people in your chain of command you maximize your worth to the decision makers, ensure they know and remember you reliably accomplish the tasks they give you, and minimize they effort you expend on the bullshit that gets thrown at you. Every second you spend on taks outside of these rules is time and effort you will never get back and will never make a difference in your career.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I’m currently self destructing. Let’s see if I survive.
Arrested Development Mistake GIF

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a shame that an opportunity like this came up for you and not someone who wasn't you.

• 2Ice Burn

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And you're not even gonna get us some good shit for the divorce thread before blowing it up like I asked?

1689932321933.png

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

I’m not losing my job. I’m not worried about that. I am way too valuable, especially considering the situation. I know this and I flex it. Im not a yes man and I’m definitely not a slave. These guys have known me long enough I’m like this and they still employ me.

Good employees don’t quit because they can’t do the job. They quit because of bad management and shitty pay. I gently remind them of that. Ok, not gently.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I’m not losing my job. I’m not worried about that. I am way too valuable, especially considering the situation. I know this and I flex it. Im not a yes man and I’m definitely not a slave. These guys have known me long enough I’m like this and they still employ me.

Good employees don’t quit because they can’t do the job. They quit because of bad management and shitty pay. I gently remind them of that. Ok, not gently.

You are being the problem again. It doesn't matter how good you are at the job if you are the one that causes problems and drama every goddamn day of the week and has to remind everyone of how good you are. Your boss is already looking for your replacement because anyone "reminding" them of why good employees quit already have one foot out the door. Stop taking your emotions to work with you.

It also sounds like you can ignore everything I said above because of some situation; well take one goddamn second and think about a time in your life where someone had you by the balls knowing that you had to rely on them and instead of being understanding and compassionate they decided to lord it over you like some infant getting a tiny taste of "power." That sounds like you right now. Situations always change and not thinking through to a day when you no longer hold all the cards is a mistake.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
You are being the problem again. It doesn't matter how good you are at the job if you are the one that causes problems and drama every goddamn day of the week and has to remind everyone of how good you are. Your boss is already looking for your replacement because anyone "reminding" them of why good employees quit already have one foot out the door. Stop taking your emotions to work with you.

It also sounds like you can ignore everything I said above because of some situation; well take one goddamn second and think about a time in your life where someone had you by the balls knowing that you had to rely on them and instead of being understanding and compassionate they decided to lord it over you like some infant getting a tiny taste of "power." That sounds like you right now. Situations always change and not thinking through to a day when you no longer hold all the cards is a mistake.

I was just typing something similar when I saw this post.

If someone acts this way as an employee I can't imagine a scenario where they will ever bring you on as a partner/owner in the business at this point, or even an expanded role. Brad2770 Brad2770 , is that your perspective as well or in your mind do you still see a path where what you hoped for at the start is still possible?

If not, if you're planning your next move have you identified what you would have done differently in this situation?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user