I lost my pet today and I’m really sad

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Was it a pug? Sounds like it by the name.

My grandpa had a pug and they had a ritual of eating Rice Krispie treats together in his la-z-boy. Dog was the fattest pug I’ve ever seen but man those two were happy with each other.

Good on your for the last meal, sorry for the loss though, losing pets is worse than losing family many times.
Pudel pointer. Hunting dog.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My mother lost her Yorkshire last year. She was a wreck. She swore up and down she wouldn't replace her and get another one, but I eventually talked her into it and she got a Yorky puppy a couple months ago and now all she does is talk about it and all its personality quarks, completely turned my mom around. I know it may seem like a betrayal to get another pet so soon but really it's the only thing that will ever fill the void that they leave. I had a cat that we had to bottle feed from birth because the mother was fucking retarded. I know I'll never replace him but the alternative would be to never have those memories so in the end its worth it. And then you get a new personality and build new memories to go with the others.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My mother lost her Yorkshire last year. She was a wreck. She swore up and down she wouldn't replace her and get another one, but I eventually talked her into it and she got a Yorky puppy a couple months ago and now all she does is talk about it and all its personality quarks, completely turned my mom around. I know it may seem like a betrayal to get another pet so soon but really it's the only thing that will ever fill the void that they leave. I had a cat that we had to bottle feed from birth because the mother was fucking retarded. I know I'll never replace him but the alternative would be to never have those memories so in the end its worth it. And then you get a new personality and build new memories to go with the others.
We had three cats that we had from kittens for 18 years. I miss them and miss the cat personality stuff but have no desire to replace them. The litter box, constant puke, hair everywhere...just no.

We have two small dogs though and I can definitely see getting another one when one of them passes. We’re going to be a wreck when our first one dies. We’ve had him eleven years and he’s my shadow, follows me around room to room. Sleeps in whatever room we’re hanging out in. I hate even thinking about it but I know it’s not far off. I just make sure I give him lots of love while I can.

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Damn thoughts & prayers for real, losing a pet is absolutely heartbreaking... Losing a dog is like losing a part of yourself.

I'll probably melt away once our current one passes. She has such a big personality, and we have invested quite a bit of effort in her when we adopted her from a shelter. The pay off has been amazing, but I cannot even fathom when that day will come, luckily she is only 4 - so God willing, aways away.

But not letting them suffer is the absolute best thing you can do. Be there with them. If you can fathom it, stay physically with them while sending them over the rainbow bridge.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Putting down my dog when I could see his mind and senses were 100% there but his body was 100% gone was the hardest thing in my life. It happened so fast too. Biggest mistake I made was going without a dog for years. Get some pet, I think caring for retarded fuzzballs is therapeutic.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users
I have to have at least one dog in my house. They keep me grounded, and I swear they know the secret of happiness.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We had three cats that we had from kittens for 18 years. I miss them and miss the cat personality stuff but have no desire to replace them. The litter box, constant puke, hair everywhere...just no.

We have two small dogs though and I can definitely see getting another one when one of them passes. We’re going to be a wreck when our first one dies. We’ve had him eleven years and he’s my shadow, follows me around room to room. Sleeps in whatever room we’re hanging out in. I hate even thinking about it but I know it’s not far off. I just make sure I give him lots of love while I can.
The worst part is I was like you for a while. Probably from about the time she hit 9 or 10. I was preparing myself mentally for it.

And then in the last year or so (around age 12) she just seems so energetic all the time and I started thinking that I guess she'd just be one of those dogs that lived to be 17 or 18 years old. So I'd been picturing life with her for years to come. I really just shoved aside all those previous mental preparations of her passing.

In an instant though it was just all gone. It was less than 24 hours. Her first seizure was at 3pm, and we said goodbye at 12pm the next day.

• 2Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The worst part is I was like you for a while. Probably from about the time she hit 9 or 10. I was preparing myself mentally for it.

And then in the last year or so (around age 12) she just seems so energetic all the time and I started thinking that I guess she'd just be one of those dogs that lived to be 17 or 18 years old. So I'd been picturing life with her for years to come. I really just shoved aside all those previous mental preparations of her passing.

In an instant though it was just all gone. It was less than 24 hours. Her first seizure was at 3pm, and we said goodbye at 12pm the next day.
Sadly I’d say be thankful she went quickly. My favorite cat, Vincent, was amazing personality. Similar to a dog, he was very vocal, ran to you when you called his name, playful, loved every person that came to our house, greeted them at the door, always hanging out in the room that had people, etc.

Anyways he had a stroke a couple years ago. Found him walking in a circle in the living room at 3am. One eye went blind and he had to walk around weird. He went back to normal after a few weeks for about a year.

Then he had another stroke and was paralyzed. We kept him going for a while hoping he would come back, I mean yeah it was worse but he came back the first time like it never happened. We kept him on a cat bed with his head propped up and pee pads under him. He’d still get pee soaked, poop in his hair, food all over his face, etc. The worst part was he still wanted to play and greet people and stuff and he just couldn’t, it was heartbreaking. We kept him going for a month, vets said he wouldn’t recover and we had to put him down. It was so sad, I wish he would have went immediately on his own like that. One of the worst decisions I’ve ever had to make.

I’d love for my dog to go to 17 or 18, and I’ve seen it with his breed. He’s still active and hyper but I know it could be any day now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have someone around that takes care of all your needs and cleans up your shit :emoji_thinking:?
If I lived somewhere with zero bills or responsibilities, just did nothing but sleep, play, get massages, and all my needs were taken care of i would be pretty happy too.

• 1Worf

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
If I lived somewhere with zero bills or responsibilities, just did nothing but sleep, play, get massages, and all my needs were taken care of i would be pretty happy too.

Yeah but then you can't poop on the rug without getting chastised (I guess I would still get yelled at for doing this now), and outside time is limited to when you're allowed, and you don't get to decide what or when you're going to eat, or who's butthole you're going to sniff.

I'm content with responsibility

• 1Like
So what you are saying is, we are the secret to their happiness.

That's deep. I'm ok with that. Dammit someone is gonna be happy and it might as well be dogs.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So what you are saying is, we are the secret to their happiness.

That's deep. I'm ok with that. Dammit someone is gonna be happy and it might as well be dogs.

Its not really deep, we bred the one's with the most amicable personalities.

true. we have options. plus, I know how to work my stereo. Which makes me happy. I'm self-reliant. Kinda. I did want a 2k check from Uncle Same, for example.

Its not really deep, we bred the one's with the most amicable personalities.

The evolutionary history of how dogs became dogs is a trip tho. It's a complex symbiotic relationship. We not only chose amicable ones. We also started to selet for cuteness, as if dogs were becoming stand-ins or "like" children to us.

OP: get another! a rescue dog awaits......

Here is my only rescue trick: if at the shelter, a dog I am checking out (out of their cage) doesn't lock on to me and see that I am trying to get it's attention, unless it is a pretty young pup, that dog has not been socialized. I go for the dogs that almost right away look at you like they know you. Socialized older dogs are great too.

Sometimes I just go to visit. It's fun when a family is there, getting a dog.

(simple things keep me grounded)

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I couldn;t click on this thread until today. I lost my Jack a week before christmas and i still don't know why. His back end stopped working one day and the paralysis was creeping up through his body. 12 glorious years of comfort, understanding, and hilarity. Best dog ever. It's still hard being in this house without him close by. Husky and Chow mix.

edit: i'm not crying, you're crying
DSC00321.JPG

• 10Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 11 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I teared up a lot reading this thread. Damn dogs are the best.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Our neighbors went on vacation two weeks ago so we had their sweet boxer girl for a week while they were gone. When they first moved here four years ago if she saw us across from across the street she would come running over to our house cause she loved us/our dogs. She was showing her age last week, hips getting weak, slow walking, etc. passed away suddenly yesterday. Very sad but happy we and our dogs got to spend a week with her. Will miss her.

her and one of my dogs. And a pic of her with my dogs when she could still run last year.

C4B6096C-8C2D-4FDC-AE93-35FC0D9EC881.jpeg5EC68EAE-690B-4D1A-82BF-0B0D69881893.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users