Ibiza

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm spending a week in Ibiza in early August. Can anyone comment on things worth seeing and doing? Looking for stuff on the water (diving, boating, coves etc) but also some thoughts around the clubs. I don't love modern EDM much, but do almost singularly enjoy electronic music (minimal/trance) and clubs, so any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I love Ibiza, I go every season =D

For things to do, Formentera is amazing, seeing Es Vedr? from the pirate tower, sunset strip sun set (Cafe Mambo etc), Dalt Vila, then check out some of the sneaky beaches on the far end of the island.

If you're looking for somewhere to get a hotel I'd only recommend Ibiza Town, Playa Den Bossa, or San Antonio. That is unless you don't mind being raped by taxi's all week long farting around back and forth on the island, which can be BAD.

However, Ibiza is for partying, and if you do it right, that shit is tough to get in. My personal favorite club is Amnesia, but all the big ones are gonna be fun.

Amnesia has Cocoon on Monday which is Sven Vath and those guys, Hyte is a new party on Wednesday which host awesome parties in Europe, Cream is your trance night, but they haven't announced the days for that this year yet, and Music On is on Friday, which is Marco Carola and a bunch of coked out Italians that party until 2pm in the terrace.

Space has a few big nights with Richie Hawtin Enter every Thursday, and Carl Cox on Tuesdays are good nights musically.

DC10 is awesome, but it's a more gritty feel to it and it only hosts two nights, both are gonna be house variety.

Ushuaia is a day time outdoor venue, which is pretty nice, but they have mostly cheesy EDM short of Ants on Saturday, and Armin van Buuren has ASOT parties there every week, but the day for that hasn't been announced yet.

Sankey's has more of a standard club feel to it, it's basically all English people, but hosts to some good nights like Tribal Sessions and Viva Warriors.

Pacha has a couple good nights like Solomun +1, but it's mostly EDM.

Privilege is the biggest club in the world, but the nights there are pretty lacking, once in awhile they have a one off great night and pack the place out. I think the first weekend of August is BBC radio 1 weekend in which they host a huge party that sells out with 15,000+ people.

If you like trance, definitely hit Driftwood boat party. It's a sunset boat party out of San Antonio.

Check out these forums for more general info, I could type here all day, but if you have specific questions you can PM me.

Ibiza Spotlight Forums

Here for a list of parties, it will fill as the season comes closer.

Party Calendar

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you really go every season? Damn you must be a EDM junky!

I went once and it was pretty awesome I must admit. It's not my scene, meaning at "home" I would never seek out the type of clubs Ibiza offers(dance clubs) but holy fuck did I have a good time when I was there. I think because they are like 99% tourists people seem to have that "vacation" attitude where they are more liberal and have a better time or act more friendly than they would at normal shitty cities.

I actually stayed at Ushuaia when I was there, fantastic little hotel, and a nice beach strip. I believe it was on the SE of the island so you caught sunrise but not sunset. Though the island is small so you can drive around pretty easily or there are plenty of cabs.

Illuziun has more experience than I do it seems so I'd trust his judgement.

I went to Pacha and had a great time, when I was there it was a top 100 type blend with lots of techno style remixes. Also went to some beach party that was at a normalish restaurant(or so I thought) but then around midnight it's like a shark-nado came through, they somehow removed all of the tables(I was drunk), and boom it was an insane club. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was at the end of this long dead end road with a old stone wall on one side
smile.png
Illuziun probably knows.

One thing I thought was cool was that many of the clubs have you buy Pelotas(little balls) and then drinks cost balls. 2 for a beer, 3 for a mix and shot or whatever, sure the rates change. It seemed strange at first but it lets the bartenders move super fast not having to deal with cash and credit cards, so I never waited long for a drink even with the thousands of people. My problem was that as I got drunk I didn't look at the balls as money so I was handing them out left and right lol
frown.png

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks Illuz - good information. Is Formentera an easy day trip? I was thinking about checking it out.

I believe we are going to be staying in San Antonio. I want to somehow mix in some more relaxing night life with the clubbing. Envisioning torch lit open air bars on the water or something of that nature, preferably with music being more of a background than the forefront.

I am super excited for this trip. Turning 30 in a few months, single for the first time in 6 years and spending 3 weeks in Europe with my brother before my MBA program starts up. Should basically be my last chance for a very long time to cut loose to this degree, looking to make the most of it.

-edit - After further research, San Antonio seems to be a terrible place to stay due to excessive retards. I'm trying to find a place in Playa De'n Bossa or Ibiza Town. Suggestions on this front are welcome.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thanks Illuz - good information. Is Formentera an easy day trip? I was thinking about checking it out.

I believe we are going to be staying in San Antonio. I want to somehow mix in some more relaxing night life with the clubbing. Envisioning torch lit open air bars on the water or something of that nature, preferably with music being more of a background than the forefront.

I am super excited for this trip. Turning 30 in a few months, single for the first time in 6 years and spending 3 weeks in Europe with my brother before my MBA program starts up. Should basically be my last chance for a very long time to cut loose to this degree, looking to make the most of it.

-edit - After further research, San Antonio seems to be a terrible place to stay due to excessive retards. I'm trying to find a place in Playa De'n Bossa or Ibiza Town. Suggestions on this front are welcome.
San Antonio is where all the drunk English people stay, which can be good or bad depending on what kind of partying you're into lol. Just stay way from the "West End" because that's where the mess is.

Yeah it's an easy day trip, the boat to Formentera is right in Figueretas between Playa Den Bossa and Ibiza Town. There is a long dock that sticks out into the water, there you will find the desk with people to help.

Cafe Mambo, Cafe Del Mar, and a few other spots on the sunset strip area in San Antonio are laid back places that are more about hanging out at a table with music on the water. At sunset they have a huge gathering with fire poi and all that kind of stuff. Then when the sun sets everyone gets a little crazy (depending on the time of the season it can get super busy) clapping and partying etc. There are some other places in Playa Den Bossa, like Sands, Bora Bora, and Nassau that might be what you're looking for, but those places tend to have day club parties with music and dance floors often, but sometimes not. Ibiza is really more about the music and the dance floor rather than the table and laid back vibe, but there are definitely options around. I'd ask your hotel about some in the area, or maybe head over to the quieter part of the island for some stuff.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I replied as soon as I saw you were going to stay in San An, glad to see you saw sense. Hotel Garbi in Bossa is nice.

Put the term EDM out of your head. EDM is an American bastardisation of the European dance music. Yes, there may be some clubs that book EDM acts but please do not think of Ibiza as the European Vegas. The vibe in the majority of the clubs will be VERY different.

The best night to do DC-10 is Mondays for Circo-Loco. We...Love Sundays at Space has just announced after 15 years they'll be leaving Space and moving to Sankeys instead. The best thing to do is look at the Spotlight calendar for acts you like that are playing that week and plan your week accordingly.

Also, the purity of MDMA is the highest in Europe it's been for years and in Ibiza it is not hard to find. Same for other drugs like ketamine and coke. If you "drop Molly" in the States then don't expect Euro MDMA to be the same, I hear that "molly" is mostly bath salts (mephedrone or methylone) being sold as MDMA. The quality of pills should mostly be good but beware of pills that contain PMMA being sold as mdma/ecstasy pills. It's rare but there have been a small number of deaths in the UK from people overdosing on PMMA pills. Basically they take the pill thinking it's ecstasy, don't feel anything because PMMA takes longer to have an effect, take more pills and OD.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
What a coincidence - I just booked the week at Garbi about 2 hours ago. Are there good local bars in that area or is it mostly the hotel during the day?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah there is enough bars, restaurants and smaller clubs there to keep you busy. Sands (bar owned by Carl Cox) and Bora Bora are there as we. Ushaia, Space and Sankeys are all there as well

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice. The restaurant/beach club they show there looks really chill, I'm definitely going to check that out.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been going through a few recent sets of Hawtin and Carl Cox and other Ibiza fixtures and to me, they just seems a bit ...boring? I think I'm going to have to dig in and really research some of these artists because a lot of the sets that I've seen seem a bit flat outside of the light shows and showmanship and all of the other external stuff. For some reason I'm expecting DC-10 to be awesome and I'll keep an eye open for Cream as well. I have a feeling that the island staple DJ's are probably not the type that I'm looking for - I think I'd much rather see a slightly more obscure up and coming DJ who's putting 110% into his set than Carl Cox's 4,500's show at Space. The last real club that I visited was Tresor in Berlin in 2009 and the sets were absolute fire compared to the shit I saw from Ibiza off youtube. I know that the show that I want is going to be out there, I just have to wade through the shit to make sure I find it.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
My fiance and I, along with some friends, are tentatively planning on going some time in 2016. We're not really into the Tiesto, Armin Van Buren, etc. type sound, but we love (what I would consider) downtempo. A good example would be the stuff Sa Trinxa or Cafe Del Mar plays.

My question is, are there clubs devoted to that type of stuff? I don't want EDM or whatever they call it in Europe.

Loftish

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sorry, I'll throw out a couple of names I like: Nicolas Jaar, Jon Sa Trinxa (and the kind of stuff he's playing below). I also really like Thievery Corporation, I'm not sure they exactly fit the Ibiza DJ mold, but I think they kind of share a similar sound.