Icarus (Survival, Rocketwerkz)

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mixture of interested and also jaded and assume it's too clunky or otherwise lacking in completeness.

Daidraco

Here I was hoping this was a new Kid Icarus. :(

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

I tried it on Steam. It's very unoptimized. My poor 1080 couldn't handle anything but low graphics settings. It looks very bad at those settings obviously. When I watched Lirik play it on his stream it looks pretty cool, but he has a GTX3090. lol

I would say go try Stranded Deep instead. Another early access survival game, but a ton better optimized.

Xevy

Log Wizard
This launches tomorrow. Hopefully has a few hours of survival fun with friends, but there's a shit ton of other game events launching same day or very soon so we'll see how long it lasts.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I own like 90% of the survival games on Steam. At this point I don't think there any releases that aren't unfinished copycats. For some reason the genre is just plagued by the same problems.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

This launches tomorrow. Hopefully has a few hours of survival fun with friends, but there's a shit ton of other game events launching same day or very soon so we'll see how long it lasts.
I’m interested in getting this for my g/f and I. Keep me updated on how it plays if you bought it!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anybody try this yet? I'm a sucker for survival games with the boiz. Does this actually do anything new(ish)?

Araxen

Lirik is playing it right now. I'm still unsure about it.

Daidraco

I got an alert that Icarus was already steam cracked and Im doing the same thing I did with Valheim before I bought it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was interested in this, until, iirc I read that the worlds are not continuous. It's session based. Basically from what I got when I was reading about it, is if you log out that world is over. Next time you log in, you start over again.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Not quite. It's saved game status. So you go onto a world, do whatever, log out. Everything is saved to the host. Log back in the next day and everything is saved where it was, where you were, etc. The wiping occurs between missions. You come in with nothing (until later) and take nothing out (mostly). It's like survival quests basically that you get an allotted time of between 3 days and 30 days to complete with you or your and friends. Then you get rewards for completing them and unlock more missions. You get currency which allows you to upgrade your default characters starter gear for each mission.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Reading the reviews kind of blown away at all the high end people having issues running the game well.

My PC is pretty dated but hasn't had any issues running the game well, makes me wonder what the devs did.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I like the genre but I already own too many of them that I don't play because I don't have any friends. *sniff*

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Does not seem to be getting reviews.

1638637640938.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Gave this a shot at a LAN this weekend with a few others, suddenly were 12 hours in.

Enjoying it, only on our second prospect, as we spend a lot of time tinkering with the stuff we're unlocking.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah unfortunately my squad started a vanilla Minecraft server the same fucking day this launched and I don't want to play this solo, but I'm going to play a bit more tonight. I think you have to have people who realize that you can't just rush objectives, you've got to level and build bases and outposts in each prospect to actually complete them reasonably. I'm sure some people just death-rush stuff, but that seems much less fun. People need to treat this like old Command and Conquer or Starcraft campaigns where you go in with nothing, build up, then expand and complete your task. Then you go back up and start a new mission and do it all again. At least this one gives you a passive skill tree for your character and "epic" items you can invest in to make your start up time much less each time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, our total for the LAN (concluding now) was about 20 hours. This game took over more or less the last couple days. We did 2 prospects and below is the start of our next w/ 4 people. Game is a good time and looking forward to continuing to unlock more and the dividends it pays towards future prospects. The C&C/Starcraft campaign analogy is perfect, and IMO makes it a ton more approachable for many. When we blew 150 hours in Valheim it wasn't really reasonable to add people later in the game without them 'skipping' everything. With Icarus every new prospect is a chance to introduce the game to new players, etc.

20211206194112_1.jpg