If a new EQEmu server with little to no resemblance to Classic EQ was made...

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
frown.png

When I saw the title of this thread and then the username of the OP, I was really excited to see what this was all about. Don't let anyone discourage you Secrets, you do fan-fuckin'-tastic work!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'd be interested in an Emu Progression server as long as hacking was minimized. Was that what you were thinking?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
See, the thing I was thinking of is a server that is like classic eq, but has none of classic EQ's content and slightly changed/new mechanics.
I posted the topic while drunk and ambitious and was unsure if I'd ever be able to finish it.

The server would have features that would fit in the realm of classic EQ without being in classic EQ. Stuff like harvesting nodes, 'droppable' consumables like campfires that would restore health/mana/endurance when you placed them and sat by them (as opposed to just sitting to have natural regen).

The content itself would be PVE primarily mixed with PVP zones. The world would be a lot smaller (size of antonica) initially until the server catches on (if it does, ever).

The raid mob locations would all be constested PVP areas, and their loot would always drop 100% but decay after the NPC respawns. As in, progression through raid mobs would be a one-week deal and a race each week as opposed to having the items forever and having dedicated progression. As such, more loot would drop for the killers. But there's a twist to this too.

All of the raid items can be looted in PVP when you are fighting other bosses and are killed by another player. You may want to focus the player down that has the item before they can escape, for example, to progress as an alternative to killing the raid NPC.

Other misc things I thought of were stuff like crafted place-able 'bomb' swarm pets when 'dropped' on the ground will detonate after 5 seconds or so if not picked up again. Beastlord pets will be tied to a single progressive item as opposed to having a spell that summons your pet. This would be a primary way to introduce beastlords into classic progression without making them horribly overpowered unless you dedicate time to them. The item can be trained, level itself, and eventually learn spells that it can 'proc' mid-combat.

I also wanted to revamp the concept of how EXP would be earned in this server. Instead of having the goal of 'grind endlessly', you'd have the goal of 'explore this location (5XP)', 'kill 10 gnolls(25XP)', 'kill 25 gnolls (50XP)' 'kill Lord Elgnub (150 XP)' 'find the Sayer's Doll (100XP)' etc, to replace progression and give a sense of accomplishment to your kills instead of grinding endlessly to reach your end goal. A system like this would reward you for taking the time to do quests with progression as opposed to just killing NPCs. NPCs should be for loot + money only under this system.

But those are some of the ideas I had. Man, I need to stop drinking
smile.png

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
sorry, but fuck PVP in the MMORPG scene.
I do agree that straight-up PVP is boring, in a way, but would you prefer the PVP that happens on the blue P99 server over raid NPCs (ie; poopsocking) or would you prefer smashing someone's pixels? Perhaps once you engage a raid target, you'd be PVP flagged until you are off of its hate list?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really prefer to keep my PVP in games that are designed for PVP and I don't want to have excessive PVE in those. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to PVE PVP

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, on one hand I think your idea is the best EQ PVP type server idea I've ever heard, in theory. On the other hand, I have also always been unable to get into a game that is so naturally unbalanced when it comes to PVP. Games that are designed for PVE and all that.

If some friends played I would probably also play - it sounds good enough that I'd at least give it a try despite my initial thoughts on EQ PVP.

Wasnt this the basic premise of Shards of Dalaya? It was entirely different lore etc? I never played it for more than 20 minutes, but it seemed they changed everything, including game zone names.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wasnt this the basic premise of Shards of Dalaya? It was entirely different lore etc? I never played it for more than 20 minutes, but it seemed they changed everything, including game zone names.
Yes, this topic always comes up, typically in any EQ thread and when you mention Shards people dismiss you or bitch about it...what the fuck do they want? I want style but everything new....but not Shards....

Let's see, shard's uses EQ zones, models and basic structures from EQ in an entirely new way.

-Zone connections are different, as well as content within
-Spells have different effects depending on time of day.
-Factions and deity have a completely new and interesting role include special gear and abilities
-You can "distribute tank" by having more than one tank in front of the mob, it disperses a % of the damage between the two, I'd try to explain but it's a touch confusing so look it up
-While spells are mostly the same or close they have entirely new ones, including AA abilities and such that make classes stick with EQ theme but play more interestingly
-Frequent updates and GM events
-Tons of new and interesting rare mobs and difficult "epic" style quests....
-Treasure Hunting, and entire new concept.
-stats have different effects, including charisma relating to spell resists
-trading items causes reduction in stats, encouraging looting yourself but allowing for less NODROP

Now I don't play simply because I am involved in other games/RL atm, but I did play for quite some time, while small, there is actually an active and fairly robust community too. Seriously, stop asking about "CLASSIC EQ BUT DIFFERENT" in every EQ thread and go play Shards. No one wants classic EQ anymore. And if they do, it's only a progression server so they can pretend they are beating it like they did back in the day except for the fact its a faceroll now.

SoDWiki