If you were a self driving car...

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I basically felt the entire concept was fucked 2 seconds in. First of all, why is my car speeding so fucking fast into a cross walk that a) I am unobstructed and going at murderous speed for either the pedestrians or myself. (Airbags/car safety can't mitigate the risk of hitting a barrier in the car VS plowing into flesh and blood people with a projectile. Do all passengers have no airbags or seat-belts? Second, why the fuck is everyone jaywalking without looking both ways. If people are fucking just in the cross walk, they do hold some responsibility. No one said its a red light and they have had the Walk sign flashing for the last 5 seconds. Also, Why is hitting a woman and 2 children going to stop my self driving car from continuing on its murderous rampage, will the brakes be fixed, will the humans I murdered derail the cars future plot to murder people randomly in the next cross walk by killing its momentum? Idiots designed these scenarios, I looked at 2 and then closed that shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
jonathan-hogg-johnny-cab-total-recall-sparks-exploding-13905068666.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Is anybody else surprised a university made a test about driving mechanics actually a test about identity politics?

I'm not

It's funny, because until you actually show the scenario the test seems completely different. Once you read the scenarios, each question takes on a whole new context. It changes again if you choose to read them right to left, rather than left to right.

Bullshit test, through and through.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if they care about the results of this, because we're shit lording the hell out of this.

It's a completely silly scenario in the first place.

The self driving car would slow down long before it got to this point if the road was blocked. It would then notice much sooner that the breaks don't work and grind itself to a halt on the barrier at the side of the road, killing no one. A self driving car could easily achieve this with the required precision. This study acts like the self driving car would drive up to the crossing at the speed limit, then slam the brakes.

And as Dandain pointed out, cars are far more dangerous to the people outside of it than to its passengers. It's pretty hard to kill all passengers in a 30mph collision with a solid object.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We need to build more pedestrian overpasses!

So that we can hit them with flying self-driving cars!

Siliconemelons

Friend moved jobs after being on a short detail in doing AI for automatic driving cars his statement was "I don't want to find my self in a court room explaining or defending the logic of the AI in why it chose to kill X over Y and putting the "fault" onto the programmers."