I'm really fucked up right now, and not sure where to post it so here you go.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you have a boy? i know you said you had a girl, but for me, that would be the thing that sticks in my mind, can i trust these scout leaders to not be fucking pedo's with my boy. cuz my scouting experience was great, and i'd want my son to have the same experience, i would of course try as hard to be scout leaders on the weekends to "monitor" things but that would always be in the back of my mind.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I do not have a son. Only a daughter. Who knows what the future will bring. We're intentionally not being careful just so we "might" have something later on.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You wouldn't be upset if someone you trusted and idolized growing up turned out to be a sycophant?
It's hard to say, but I have to lean towards no. I've had several situations where people who I (thought) I knew for a long time turned out to be shockingly different than what I had experienced with them, but it never shattered my world view. Granted, it was never anything as crazy as one of them turning out to be pedobear, but still shocking. I guess the closest is how I always thought my grandfather was a cheery, friendly guy who happened to die of a heart attack when I was a kid, but it turned out that he was a miserable, depressed individual in constant physical and emotional pain who ended up shooting himself with a rifle in the basement. I didn't find all of that out until 20+ years after the fact and rather than be upset by it, my thought process was more along the lines of "Huh, that's a surprise."

I didn't mean to belittle Xarpolis' feelings over the situation. I was genuinely curious why it bothered him so much. It makes a lot more sense now that he said that he'd been defending the guy for so long. I think if I had been defending someone for years only to be proven completely wrong in one of the most horrible ways it might upset me, too.

Not to threadshit, but just seeing that guys mug, the first thing that comes to mind is Sex Offender's list.
Mugshots can make anyone look like a psycho. I bet if he were smiling he'd look like the friendly neighborhood Santa Claus.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
(I've posted the exact thing on another forum but I want to get my thoughts out there. Here you go.)

So this story was printed out and sitting on my desk when I got into work this morning:
Bucks bus driver charged with sex assaults on two boys - Philly.com

I've known Fred for a LONG time. Over 20 years, I would think. He was my Troop Leader when I was a Boy Scout. In all my years of knowing him, he never had a creepy vibe. Our scout troop was among the best I can think of, mainly because the kids were very mischievous, andhe always had our backs if we got in trouble.
could go on lol

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How clear is it that the dude is guilty? Do you know if he is denying it?

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
That's some heavy shit. I can remember really looking up to my troop leader while I was in boy scouts. I mean, the guy was pretty low on the socioeconomic ladder by most standards, but the fact that he was so dedicated to service and the boy scouts really elevated him in my book. I would feel pretty betrayed if I heard something like this about him. It would be hard not.to feel cynical about my entire stint with scouting. It would also be hard to ignore the fact that the guy really did some good too.
your willingness to defend your troop leader is evidence he was a positive presence in your life at least. It doesn't excuse his horrendous behavior by any means, but I don't think it should completely negate the benefit he provided others either.
I dunno man, it's pretty fucked, but I don't think you should beat yourself up for sticking up for someone that didnt give you a reason not to. The older I get the harder it is to stave off cynicism. Best of luck.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just made the mistake of browsing this thread on my iPad while my nephew is playing on the floor in front of me with his toys. Reading this then looking down at him and I am so fucking disturbed what people are capable of. So much innocence and trust - betraying that is way evil.

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
When I was a 1st Class scout (2 steps below Eagle), my dad ended up becoming the Troop Leader. Fred had something going on that he wanted to keep his name away from the Boy Scouts. We never questioned it, and Fred was always there. But my dad was now the figure head.
Does your Dad know why Fred backed off?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It was explained as "some sort of legal dispute that he didn't want the scouts involved with."

We probably should have known but it's still fucked up.

Sorry to here about this.

I was pretty oblivious to all this stuff when I was a kid in the scouts. Our Scout leader was some kids parent for the longest time and then one year they retired
and was replaced by some dude who none of use knew.

He invited all of us to his place for a pool party. I really wanted to go, but my parents were like, hey
we know you wanted to get into soccer... so you have to choose one or the other. I chose soccer.

They confirmed that they didn't want me going to that pool party years later. My parents are sneaky as fuck.
I know they meant well, and I'm appreciative that they did it, even if there may or may not have been something
odd going on.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's sad to hear parents think of Scouts that way. I was in Boy Scouts and it was a wonderful experience. It really does prepare you for life. I am one of the most prepared people on any given trip or outing. Plus, it can toughen you up. Camping in Ohio in February ain't no pussy shit.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
It's sad to hear parents think of Scouts that way. I was in Boy Scouts and it was a wonderful experience. It really does prepare you for life. I am one of the most prepared people on any given trip or outing. Plus, it can toughen you up. Camping in Ohio in February ain't no pussy shit.
I am an Eagle scout. I agree it was an awesome experience. One that I wished my children had gotten into. Its a shame to see the opinion of scouting take such a nose dive from when I was a kid.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps you guys aren't intending it this way, but it sounds like you're blaming the public and parents for having the wrong opinion of Boy Scouts instead of the Boy Scout organization for having reprehensible morals. Regardless of what Boy Scouts may teach, would you want to involve your kid in an organization that bans gays for no practical reason?

And I disagree on the usefulness of Boy Scouts. I was in the scouts until maybe 10 or 11? I hate camping, I don't use any of the shit I learned there.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Perhaps you guys aren't intending it this way, but it sounds like you're blaming the public and parents for having the wrong opinion of Boy Scouts instead of the Boy Scout organization for having reprehensible morals. Regardless of what Boy Scouts may teach, would you want to involve your kid in an organization that bans gays for no practical reason?

And I disagree on the usefulness of Boy Scouts. I was in the scouts until maybe 10 or 11? I hate camping, I don't use any of the shit I learned there.
I am upset with the Scouts for not changing with the times. I don't blame parents for not wanting their kids involved in it at all. Scouting is one of those things that you get out what you put into it imo. And kids today are different than they were when I was kid so its not surprising.

Its probably because I am hugely nostalgic about my childhood that I find it sad. The Scouts had a hugely positive affect on my life.