Inherent Vice

Fedor

<Banned>
Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' to Shoot This Month; Warner Bros. Financing

Part noir, part psychedelic romp, all Thomas Pynchon- private eye Doc Sportello comes, occasionally, out of a marijuana haze to watch the end of an era as free love slips away and paranoia creeps in with the L.A. fog. It's been awhile since Doc Sportello has seen his ex-girlfriend. Suddenly out of nowhere she shows up with a story about a plot to kidnap a billionaire land developer whom she just happens to be in love with. Easy for her to say. It's the tail end of the psychedelic sixties in L.A., and Doc knows that "love" is another of those words going around at the moment, like "trip" or "groovy," except that this one usually leads to trouble. Despite which he soon finds himself drawn into a bizarre tangle of motives and passions whose cast of characters includes surfers, hustlers, dopers and rockers, a murderous loan shark, a tenor sax player working undercover, an ex-con with a swastika tattoo and a fondness for Ethel Merman, and a mysterious entity known as the Golden Fang, which may only be a tax dodge set up by some dentists.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Glad to hear he's working on something so soon after The Master.

Amazon has a 'soundtrack to the book' from Pynchon for anyone interested:http://www.amazon.com/Inherent-Vice-ebook/dp/B005CRQ3H0

Larry "Doc" Sportello is a private eye who sees the world through a sticky dope haze, animated by the music of an era whose hallmarks were peace, love, and revolution. As Doc's strange case grows stranger, his 60s soundtrack--ranging from surf pop and psychedelic rock to eerie instrumentals--picks up pace. Have a listen to some of the songs you'll hear in Inherent Vice?the playlist that follows is designed exclusively for Amazon.com, courtesy of Thomas Pynchon. (Links will take you to individual MP3 downloads, full albums, or artist pages.)

"Bamboo" by Johnny and the Hurricanes
"Bang Bang" by The Bonzo Dog Band
Bootleg Tape by Elephant's Memory
"Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles
"Desafinado" by Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto, with Charlie Byrd
Elusive Butterfly by Bob Lind
"Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra
"Full Moon in Pisces" performed by Lark
"God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys
The Greatest Hits of Tommy James and The Shondells
"Happy Trails to You" by Roy Rogers
"Help Me, Rhonda" by The Beach Boys
"Here Come the Hodads" by The Marketts
"The Ice Caps" by Tiny Tim
"Interstellar Overdrive" by Pink Floyd
"It Never Entered My Mind" by Andrea Marcovicci
"Just the Lasagna (Semi-Bossa Nova)" by Carmine & the Cal-Zones
"Long Trip Out" by Spotted Dick
"Motion by the Ocean" by The Boards
"People Are Strange (When You're a Stranger)" by The Doors
"Pipeline" by The Chantays
"Quentin's Theme" (Theme Song from "Dark Shadows") performed by Charles Randolph Grean Sounde
Rembetissa by Roza Eskenazi
"Repossess Man" by Droolin? Floyd Womack
"Skyful of Hearts" performed by Larry "Doc" Sportello
"Something Happened to Me Yesterday" by The Rolling Stones
"Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman
"Soul Gidget" by Meatball Flag
"Stranger in Love" performed by The Spaniels
"Sugar Sugar" by The Archies
"Super Market" by Fapardokly
"Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen
"Telstar" by The Tornados
"Tequila" by The Champs
Theme Song from "The Big Valley" performed by Beer
"There's No Business Like Show Business" by Ethel Merman
Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
"Volare" by Domenico Modugno
"Wabash Cannonball" by Roy Acuff & His Crazy Tennesseans
"Wipeout" by The Surfaris
"Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys
"Yummy Yummy Yummy" performed by Ohio Express

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wonder if he can pull it off considering Pynchon's novels have such schizo plots and pacing bordering on ADHD sometimes.

Malice_sl

shitlord
Anyone here read some Thomas Pynchon or this book in particular?
I've read Pynchon. V is one of my favorite books of all time, Inherent Vice is a fun read, and probably the only one of his books that'd translate to a movie. I heard Robert Downey Jr. was attached to star as Doc at some point, then dropped out. He would have been perfect. Still looking forward to it!

Szlia

Heresy! I'll agree that Owen Wilson is a bit of a one-trick pony acting-wise, but he is the best at that particular trick. There is a 'fallen from the moon' lightness, an optimistic enthusiasm and a gentleness mixed with a kind of melancholy, a barely visible sadness, a chink in the soul. All these elements are always present even if the center of gravity can move from part to part (darker in The Darjeeling Limited, lighter in Drillbit Taylor, medium in Marley & Me to take three movies he did in a row).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've read Pynchon. V is one of my favorite books of all time, Inherent Vice is a fun read, and probably the only one of his books that'd translate to a movie.
Vineland maybe. It's certainly inspired a bunch of movies.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Certainly looks all like all the pieces are there for a good movie, guess we'll see. I'm interested but not floored by the trailer.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I like joaquin phoenix a lot, and del toro, and I'm not sure but I thought I spotted Omar Little there at the very end of the trailer!

Szlia

Anderson's lone comedy is its worst film by far, but this one looks at the very least reasonably funny.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah but it was still a good movie. That whole scene with the phone, jesus christ, it still gets me.