Inherent Vice

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Loved Phoenix and Brolin. Another great PTA movie people will love or hate I think.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
This was like "The Master" for me. WAY too long. HOLY SHIT. People started walking out because of how long it was. They could have cut out about 45 minutes. Way too many characters to understand what the shit is going on. The fucking narration was just ugh. There were a LOT of hilarious scenes. Joaquin Phoenix does a fantastic job at being a hippy.

tl;dr: Way too fucking long.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I watched this last night. I've loved all PTA movies, but this one is kinda lost on me.
frown.png

For some reason his notes cracked me up.
xUhUih7.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Couldn't even finish it. I saw that there was an hour left and said fuck it. As Kuriin said, way too many characters that are never really shown on screen so you have to know them by name and their relation. And it's just way too trippy. Why does a movie that takes place in the 70s have to be so 70s? Just fucking weird.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah Pynchon novels, I think don't lend themselves too well to feature length movies. If you read even the easy ones like the crying of lot 49 there are a ton of characters and plots. His novels would lend well to a cable tv series. Mason and Dixon would be bad ass but soo expensive and too weird to shoot for a cable series.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I really think they did. It really did feel more of a book on screen rather than a film adaptation of a book. For better or worse. Personally didn't feel The Big Lebowski comparisons as much as watching it like a Fear and Loathing type of movie. The plot wasn't confusing because I never tried and just followed Joaquin through the scenes. I think the Red Letter guys got to that later on in their review. There's no need to really focus that much on the plot because of how convoluted it is, but it is funny convoluted, and you just really have to understand Joaquin smokes a lot of pot and has some strange interactions. Because if you try to memorize all the characters, names, relationships, etc... you'll probably get frustrated and not enjoy it.

My only complaint would be the scene towards the end with Shasta which kind of broke the tone and pacing of the rest. If they had maybe trimmed that down and cut a little bit here and there, two hours would have probably been perfect and made it a little more accessible. Wouldn't get my vote for the Oscar though. Too bad, really wanted this to be great.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Screener quality wasn't bad, but yay, available digitally on Amazon already.